Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minecraft Update thread (1.8 Discussion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

...and snow

Looks like rain is on the way in the next update :)

Photo here: http://i.imgur.com/UVNCC.jpg

Wolves get wet in the rain.
    Crops will get watered

More to be announced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Tallon wrote: »
    ...and snow

Looks like rain is on the way in the next update :)

Photo here: http://i.imgur.com/UVNCC.jpg

Crops will get watered

More to be announced :)

I wondered when there was gonna be a weather system ingame, it was only a matter of time. Should make the game more interesting :pac: .

jackoire wrote: »
    I wondered when there was gonna be a weather system ingame, it was only a matter of time. Should make the game more interesting :pac: .
    He's adding thunder too...

Rain will put out fire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Tallon wrote: »

Only wolves? how will everything else stay dry?

TrollTop.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Maybe he could add an umbrella in future updates then. Maybe make it out of a stick and piece of leather.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Quick preview video with more than normal rainfall/snowfall to show its effects

Nice touch having blocks as shelter, it actually works!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭NeosDex

Wow thats awesome, not too keen on the "Achievement Get!"... better to have "Achievement Unlocked"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

''MUOAHAHA! Pigs that get hit by lightning turn into zombie pigmen ;D''

:p

And

''MUOAHAHA! Thunder Storms lower the brightness. That means daytime monsters during storms. This is freakily atmospheric.''

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

As long as storms aren't as common as daily, I'm totally for it :P Would be cool if it helps grow crops too!

yeah it does help grow them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bigmanjan

hello

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnR1024

Stats can be hacked and the update is going to be out this week.
    Mob madness anyone? :D

This week? Yay and nay. Yay to nice updates, nay to the fact its going to break the plugins AGAIN :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I'd be happy to play without plug-ins on for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnR1024

This week? Yay and nay. Yay to nice updates, nay to the fact its going to break the plugins AGAIN :mad:

Notch has smiled upon you and granted you one more week with plugins :P
    http://notch.tumblr.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

May as well update this thread as 1.5 is out. debating whether to download and play single player, or keep it at 1.4 and play multiplayer. Thank god I don't have anything important to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I smiled when I saw the "The Lie" achievement.

So yeah, 1.5 in. Servers will continue to run on 1.4 for the time being, for other users to continue playing without plugin breakages. If you update to 1.5, you CANNOT join the server.

EDIT: I will update Tals and boards.ie threads in due course when they are ready to be updated and rebooted.

So yeah, 1.5 in. Servers will continue to run on 1.4 for the time being, for other users to continue playing without plugin breakages. If you update to 1.5, you CANNOT join the server.

EDIT: I will update Tals and boards.ie threads in due course when they are ready to be updated and rebooted.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

bugger, silly me clicked yes to the update. looks like i might have to go outside and do some real gardening now :(

• Advertisement

Just roll back to an older one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Just noticed after updating that having a ladder with ladder pieces on every second block doesnt work anymore. Has to be a continuous ladder now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Was just about to comment on that!

Also, the game runs a lot smoother on my work PC since the update :)

Updates:
    * Weather (rain, snow, thunder)
    * Statistics
    * Achievements
    * Detector rail
    * Booster rail
    * Performance improvements

wires wrote: »
    bugger, silly me clicked yes to the update. looks like i might have to go outside and do some real gardening now :(

I wasn't even asked if I could update or not, it just went ahead and did it anyway :pac:

There's something nobody has noticed until now: Unpowered redstone is RED! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

I wasn't even asked if I could update or not, it just went ahead and did it anyway :pac:
    I used to have that problem as well, then I realised I was running off of the old .exe :P

Download the new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No way! That's oing to cause no end of trouble. :(

Oh dear god.... lot of people complaining about the update. Lots of bugs:

• Repetitively putting Smeltable items in the furnace counts as a crafting statistic
    • Side grass will not work if on "Fast" graphics.
    • Achievements only work in SMP if you have already completed first achievement in Single Player.
    • FPS counter shows Chunk Updates instead of FPS, usually while generating new chunks
    • Crash when Detector Rails are placed beside normal rails.
    • Blocks can't be placed on snow.
    • If you change Advanced OpenGL to on and then back again, giant holes will appear that you can see through.
    • Jumping off a fence in SMP triggers an anti-flight kick.
    • Rain will fall through transparent blocks and stairs, acting as if there is no block there. This can be a problem if your house has a stair-made roof
    • When hitting a grass block the destroying animation is darker on the side than the animation on top of the grass block, though only on fancy graphics.
    • Flowing water no longer pushes empty minecarts that fall into it
    • GUI: create new world input boxes misaligned under small and normal settings
    • Sometimes you might not get an achievement even if you do what it requires to get. This can usually be fixed by doing it in another world.
    • Locked Chest is once again obtainable through inventory editing or SMP /give commands. The chests can be placed, but can't be interacted with, and they disappear shortly after placement.
    • In singleplayer, game resumes when 'Achievements' is clicked on the pause menu, instead of remaining paused.
    • Riding in a minecart from the south into a corner going from north to west (so it's not connected to the current track) will crash the game. Possibly also true for other directions, yet if you're going in the same corner coming from the east, it will work as usual.
    • Trying to redirect a rail corner to another track using redstone (a switch) will crash the game.
    • Detector rails does not transfer power to rails connected on a slope.
    • Burning animation on furnaces may remain after done smelting.
    Think it might take longer than normal for bukkit to be updated, the devs could be sitting on a rock with this one, not recoding until 1.5_01 is released for hotfixing. :(

• Advertisement

• Side grass will not work if on "Fast" graphics.

That's not even included in the update, it already works on fast, but the fix was for Fancy only

Advertisement