Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M9 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It was there before Christmas as there were three sets of roadworks and restrictions on the M9 but thankfully just one remaining south of Kilcullen where the service area is being built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Apparently there was some lunatic/idiot driving southbound on the northbound carriageway near Carlow this morning:

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=69785

Hopefully nobody has been hurt... if they've caught this person, they should throw the book at them, even if it's an honest mistake. Nobody that incompetent should be allowed behind the wheel. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

fricatus wrote: »
    Apparently there was some lunatic/idiot driving southbound on the northbound carriageway near Carlow this morning:

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=69785

Hopefully nobody has been hurt... if they've caught this person, they should throw the book at them, even if it's an honest mistake. Nobody that incompetent should be allowed behind the wheel. :mad:

Unlikely given this fiasco

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/banned-driver-caught-driving-wrong-way-down-motorway-30928095.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

STIG83 wrote: »
    Has the building of the service area even begun? Haven't driven it in a couple of weeks.

Was up there earlier in the week. Road network a good bit done, light poles erected (not finished) but that's about it unless they have foundations done on the site you can't see from the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭rameire

Sully wrote: »
    Was up there earlier in the week. Road network a good bit done, light poles erected (not finished) but that's about it unless they have foundations done on the site you can't see from the road.

No foundations done unfortunately,
    they have been focusing on the bridge and the road network.
    still one or two layers to do on the roads that are currently laid.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    No foundations done unfortunately,
    they have been focusing on the bridge and the road network.
    still one or two layers to do on the roads that are currently laid.

So will they re-open the closed lane anytime soon? It's getting a bit old now to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

An Bord Pleanala has given the go-ahead for an offline service area adjacent to Junction 7 Paulstown on M9

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

mountcisco wrote: »
    An Bord Pleanala has given the go-ahead for an offline service area adjacent to Junction 7 Paulstown on M9

This is great news for all traveling from Waterford/Kilkenny on the m9

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

That be good, saves me driving to Castledermot for a pit stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

But Castledermot is a right place for a pitstop..... :D

Anyone know what the works and lane closures between J9 and 10 (Kilkenny and Knocktopher) are in aid of?

Anyone know what the works and lane closures between J9 and 10 (Kilkenny and Knocktopher) are in aid of?

Are these ongoing now?

It's crazy, no stretch of the M9 has escaped closure for various works and repairs after barely 5 years opening. Can see more happening too between J8 and J7 northbound just after kilkenny going up the hill as there's a hump in the road that appears to be getting worse...

road_high wrote: »
    Are these ongoing now?

Yes, from Monday to Friday of this week according to AA Roadwatch. It's down to one lane for a stretch, but the delay is minimal - about two minutes sitting at 90 km/h, which is hardly a penance.

It's crazy, no stretch of the M9 has escaped closure for various works and repairs after barely 5 years opening. Can see more happening too between J8 and J7 northbound just after kilkenny going up the hill as there's a hump in the road that appears to be getting worse...

I dunno, I think maybe you're being a bit harsh. It was a big project, and they were never going to escape some sort of issue. It seems they're being proactive in fixing problems before they get out of hand.

It's pretty normal in other countries. I remember going up the North a lot between about 2002 and 2006, and every time I went there was a contraflow on the A1 while they resurfaced some stretch or other.

And whatever you do, don't start complaining about the M9 to anyone who's had to drive the stretch of M1 between Luton and the M25... :D I think the roadworks there might still be ongoing! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Looks like drainage work as they have dug a trench along the central medium so I assume?

Looks like drainage work as they have dug a trench along the central medium so I assume?

Yeah, it looks like they're doing something like that all right. I know that there's a curve just as you head north of Knocktopher that gets a lot of water flowing across it when there's heavy rain, and I'd say that was the concern that prompted these works.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

And whatever you do, don't start complaining about the M9 to anyone who's had to drive the stretch of M1 between Luton and the M25... :D I think the roadworks there might still be ongoing! :pac:

It's not too much better up north , drove from Bradford to Coventry on Tuesday, 50mph a good lot of the way.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

M9 fully opened northbound at the new service station location. When is the service station itself due to open? Doesn't seem to be much building going on.

• Advertisement

M9 fully opened northbound at the new service station location. When is the service station itself due to open? Doesn't seem to be much building going on.

'Bout bleedin time. I don't think they've even started building that yet. Just the flyover and approach roads/layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bards

'Bout bleedin time. I don't think they've even started building that yet. Just the flyover and approach roads/layout.

Looks that way ok, Clonmel Enterprises seems to have just had the enabling works contract for the MSA

http://www.clonmelent.com/projectlist/2015/1/7/m9-kilcullen-msa

Somebody wasn't paying attention and drove straight through (as in literally through) the roundabout at the Waterford end of the motorway over the past day or two.

From the pattern of the wheel tracks and the dirt on the ground it looks like they went straight into the roundabout from the M9, demolished the signs, continued across, then turned right and went back around the roundabout, taking the exit for the N25 and city centre.

:eek:

There is definitely a case for rumble strips. Yes there's plenty of signage to say a roundabout is coming up, but it's been demonstrated now beyond debate that there are people who just do not pay attention until they are literally shaken into doing so.

Somebody wasn't paying attention and drove straight through (as in literally through) the roundabout at the Waterford end of the motorway over the past day or two.

From the pattern of the wheel tracks and the dirt on the ground it looks like they went straight into the roundabout from the M9, demolished the signs, continued across, then turned right and went back around the roundabout, taking the exit for the N25 and city centre.

There is definitely a case for rumble strips. Yes there's plenty of signage to say a roundabout is coming up, but it's been demonstrated now beyond debate that there are people who just do not pay attention until they are literally shaken into doing so.

Saw that. Some drivers are idiots though. Had one person in a MPV drive in the overtaking lane and was oblivious to cars flashing and beeping to get passed - resulting in cars having to undertake.

Saw that. Some drivers are idiots though. Had one person in a MPV drive in the overtaking lane and was oblivious to cars flashing and beeping to get passed - resulting in cars having to undertake.

Sounds like just a normal day on any Irish motorway or dual carriageway in my frustrating experience. Amount of drivers that are not able to use a motorway is scary. I'll to add this I find young females the worst offenders for sitting/hogging lanes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Sounds like just a normal day on any Irish motorway or dual carriageway in my frustrating experience. Amount of drivers that are not able to use a motorway is scary. I'll to add this I find young females the worst offenders for sitting/hogging lanes.....

And also males in my experience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Comedy of Errors

People just get hypnotised into doing motorway speeds then it's on them before they think.
    See also the Dunkettle Interchange at the end of the M8, you come down a big hill onto that, surprised there's not more rear enders going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The 100kmh section and the bendiness of the Glanmire bypass seems to wake people up. But with the M9 its just 120kmh straight into a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The 100kmh section and the bendiness of the Glanmire bypass seems to wake people up. But with the M9 its just 120kmh straight into a roundabout.

Waterford though, you get the view of the splendour of the new bridge quite a bit back. Something there should wake one up that the roundabout is near. Ok, not somebody using it for first time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Any word when the Kilcullen Service Area will be built?
    Ground work and poles are up for signage and bridge constructed.

Advertisement