Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kev's Training Journal

• 10-04-2009 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm Kev and I'm going to keep a training log here to track progress, have as a reference, and because it motivates me. My stats are: 20 yrs old, 5'11, 96-98kg. The goal is simple: get bigger and stronger :cool:.

6.04.09 Legs

Extensions and hamcurls warmup

Squats
    60kg x 10 reps
    80kg x 6
    90kg x 6
    100kg x 2
    110kg x 2
    120kg x 2
    125kg x 4

Extensions
    40 x 10
    60 x 10
    75 x 10
    90 x 10

Leg Press
    120kg x 12
    150kg x 12
    180kg x 12
    210kg x 12
    240kg x 12

7/04/09 Chest

BenchPress
    20kgs(just the bar) x 20
    40kgs x 15
    40kgs x 15
    60kgs x 8
    80kgs x 6
    85kgs x 5
    90kgs x 5
    90kgs x 5
    95kgs x 5
    97.5kgs x 5

Incline Bench
    60kgs x 12
    60kgs x 12
    70kgs x 10
    70kgs x 10

45 second stretch on flatbench with 25kg dumbells

Facepulls
    45 x 16
    52.5 x 16
    52.5 x 16

9/04/09 Back + Biceps
    wide grip pulldowns
    45 x 12
    45 x 12
    60 x 10
    75 x 10
    90 x 6/7

Deadlifts
    60kgs x 8
    60kgs x 8
    80kgs x 4
    100kgs x 4
    120kgs x 2
    140kgs x 1
    150kgs x 1
    152.5kgs x 1 PR
    155kgs x 1 held for 10 seconds PR

Dumbell rows
    20kgs x 12
    30kgs x 12
    40kgs x 12

HammerStrength one arm rows
    20kgs x 10
    30kgs x 10
    40kgs x 10

Dumbell curls
    15kgs x 10
    20kgs x 8
    20kgs x 8
    20kgs x 5/6

Reverse grip straight bar curls
    25kgs x 12
    25kgs x 12
    25kgs x 12

The lower rep stuff is relatively new to me, in the past I'd never do less than 6 reps on anything.

Yesterday was the first time pushing for a 1RM, and my hands and forearms aren't happy with that decision :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

Kev M wrote: »
    . My stats are: 20 yrs old, 5'12

eh 5'12 as in 6' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

DM-BM wrote: »
    eh 5'12 as in 6' ?

yep, just testing ya ;)

11.04.09 Heavier Bench + delts + tris

BenchPress
    40kgs x 12
    40kgs x 12
    60kgs x 10
    80kgs x 4
    90kgs x 1
    100kgs x 1
    110kgs x 1
    115kgs x 1 PR
    115kgs x 1
    85kgs x 17 PR

Barbell ShoulderPress seated
    40kgs x 12
    40kgs x 12
    50kgs x 12
    55kgs x 12

Dips, pausing at top
    Bodyweight x 12
    Bodyweight x 10
    Bodyweight x 12

Straight bar Skullcrushers
    30kgs x 10
    30kgs x 10
    30kgs x 10 + repped out some close grip press

Good session. Bench coming along, probably could have gone heavier. Triceps were fried come the skullcrushers, made for very intense sets.
    The top end of the bench will definitely be the problem area, loads of power coming off the chest but slows near the top. Floor presses are the plan for next week to bring up the top end of the bench, whether or not the equipment will allow for a floor press setup to be created will be another story.
    The high rep set of bench was a big pr... last month 85 for 10-12 was tough. The ipod played a key role in that set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

That 85kg for 17 reps is pretty fúcking impressive:)

That 85kg for 17 reps is pretty fúcking impressive:)

Thanks man, don't know where the hell it came from tbh. I guess there's a lot to be said for doing bench twice a week

• Advertisement

Thanks man, don't know where the hell it came from tbh. I guess there's a lot to be said for doing bench twice a week

Yes!! man i think all this overtaining malarky is in peoples heads a lot of the time. i bought in to it and started splitting "properly" and now my bench sucks balls! there was a time i was benchin heavy two and three times a week and my progress was wicked! i think im gonna have to revert back to my own lunatic principals, it seems to motivate me better too.

Yes!! man i think all this overtaining malarky is in peoples heads a lot of the time. i bought in to it and started splitting "properly" and now my bench sucks balls! there was a time i was benchin heavy two and three times a week and my progress was wicked! i think im gonna have to revert back to my own lunatic principals, it seems to motivate me better too.

Steve Michalik said there's no such thing as overtraining, there's only under-recovering. He knew what he was talking about! The once a week stuff hasn't done much for me these last two years, the twice a week bench has already shown significant improvement. Just have to make a plan to do back and legs twice now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

When I was in 5th year in boarding school my roommate got upto 125kg x 1 benching 3 times a week! **** over training haha.

FunkZ wrote: »
    When I was in 5th year in boarding school my roommate got upto 125kg x 1 benching 3 times a week! **** over training haha.

i got up to 130 x 1 benching 3 times in 10 days after lifting for like a year. fúcking sickening now to see how much my trainings dropped.

i got up to 130 x 1 benching 3 times in 10 days after lifting for like a year. fúcking sickening now to see how much my trainings dropped.

The way I see it is that the whole one workout per bodypart per week split is passed down from the top by pro bodybuilders who 1. are genetic mutants and 2. are walking chemical factories. What works for them is hardly going to be great for the average gym-goer, yet it's what most try to emulate.

• Advertisement

Squats
    60kgs
    80kgs
    100kgs
    lots of reps

BenchPress
    40kgs x 10
    40kgs x 10
    60kgs x 10
    80kgs x 5
    90kgs x 5
    90kgs x 5
    95kgs x 5

Dips
    2sets 12 reps

pecdeck
    2 ridiculously light sets

incline bench
    70kgs 2sets 10-12reps

facepulls
    3sets @ 45 for 15reps

First day training in over a week, and really tired getting to the gym. Put a good effort into the squats and bench but the rest was a fairly non-intensive affair. Daydreaming in the pecdeck at one point ffs.

Back and a little shoulders

Pulldowns
    6 sets up to 90 for 8-10reps

Deadlifts
    6 sets up to 160kgs for 1 rep. Then drop to 120 for 8.

Seated Cable Rows
    2 sets @ 75 for 12 reps

Shoulder Press
    25kg dumbells for 12 reps easy, 12 easy, 20 hard

Very tired getting to the gym. In an unnecessary bad mood so not a great session. Now that I think about it the deadlift was a PR. funny stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Back and a little shoulders

Pulldowns
    6 sets up to 90 for 8-10reps

Deadlifts
    6 sets up to 160kgs for 1 rep. Then drop to 120 for 8.

Seated Cable Rows
    2 sets @ 75 for 12 reps

Shoulder Press
    25kg dumbells for 12 reps easy, 12 easy, 20 hard

Very tired getting to the gym. In an unnecessary bad mood so not a great session. Now that I think about it the deadlift was a PR. funny stuff.

Blue T-Shirt?

I think there was only one lad deadlfting up there last night so it must have been you?

You may have seen myself Hanley and Malteaser feckin around with bars and steps and sh1te last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

kevpants wrote: »
    Blue T-Shirt?

I think there was only one lad deadlfting up there last night so it must have been you?

Stalker much??? :D

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Stalker much??? :D

pot-kettle-black.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

pot-kettle-black.jpg

Not content with stalking the poor lad, you're now spamming up his journal??

Poor show. Funny tho!! :D

Blue T-Shirt?

You may have seen myself Hanley and Malteaser feckin around with bars and steps and sh1te last night.

Yeah that's right, the place was so quiet last night, come 9.20 or so I was the only person down there! and the music was turned off, I was half expecting them to turn the lights off on me and everything :D

Using them steps is a genius idea man! I'm thinking I'm gonna use the steps as a rack just behind me, so I'll be able to take the bar out and get my elbows down to the floor.

Yeah that's right, the place was so quiet last night, come 9.20 or so I was the only person down there! and the music was turned off, I was half expecting them to turn the lights off on me and everything :D

Haha YUSSSS!! I was so right. It was actually me that said it was probably you. I didn't want to take credit until I knew it I was right or not :D

You used to wear cons and tuck your elbows when you were benching, that's a dead give away you actually know what you're doing and read online!! I think I actually lifted off benches in there before to you.

Say hi next time you're up there.
    Using them steps is a genius idea man! I'm thinking I'm gonna use the steps as a rack just behind me, so I'll be able to take the bar out and get my elbows down to the floor.

That how I was gonna do em!! The Lucy presses work well too tho.

Yeah that is another option. I'm just trying the whole "press from static" idea for a bit to see how it works.

Say hello next time you see any of us up there. I might not recognise you if you aren't wearing the same t-shirt!

Hanley wrote: »
    Haha YUSSSS!! I was so right. It was actually me that said it was probably you. I didn't want to take credit until I knew it I was right or not :D

You used to wear cons and tuck your elbows when you were benching, that's a dead give away you actually know what you're doing and read online!! I think I actually lifted off benches in there before to you.

Yeah you have me sussed, the Ryan Kennelly youtube vids were a big help in improving that bench technique :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Say hello next time you see any of us up there.

+1. I'm the girl who's almost always up there with one or two of those chancers above!!

Malteaser! wrote: »
    +1. I'm the girl who's almost always up there with one or two of those chancers above!!

The girl who lifts more than most of the blokes! Squat and Deadlift anyway.
    In fairness to the blokes though, you have a decent enough coach :D

Heavy Bench Morning

BenchPress
    40kgs x 10
    60kgs x 8
    80kgs x 4
    100kgs x 2
    110kgs x 1
    115kgs x 1
    120kgs x 1
    120kgs x 1

Barbell ShoulderPress
    40kgs x 8
    40kgs x 8
    50kgs x 8
    57.5kgs x 8

FloorPress
    40kgs x 12
    50kgs x 10
    60kgs x 10
    70kgs x 8
    80kgs x 8
    85kgs x 6

Back to regular BenchPress
    80kgs x 12

StraightBar TricepPressDowns
    5 sets or so up to 90 on the stack for 8-10

Decent training today, had a training partner for a change which was good. The benching wasn't great, Nearly missed the 110 (had to wake-up i think), but came back good for the 115. The 120 didn't really go too well, had control of the bar, no worries there, but they just weren't clean lifts at all, so as far as I'm concerned 115 is still where I stand. Was only up for just over an hour at that stage, that's my excuse.
    FloorPress off the steps was good, just used the steps to rack the weight and had full ROM. Fairly close grip on these, about 5-6 inches inside the rings.
    The plan for next week is to go 117.5 on the bench, and see from there.

The training's going to be cut down over the next month (exams). 3 days a week is the plan, probably Tuesday Thursday Saturday. I'll make it up as I go but a general outline will be

Saturday: Heavier Bench, shoulders, triceps
    Tuesday: Squats, light speedy bench, incline presses, delt movements
    Thursday: Pulldowns, Rows, Deads, biceps

95kg this morning, will maintain this weight until college is done next month, and then balloon up and try to lift something half noteworthy.

In other news my Inzer Briefs arrived today. All I can say is.... tight. Tight like a tiger. Not bad around the waist, but the band around the leg defies physics. It took about twenty minutes to get them on, + another 10 minutes of lunging in the living room. Painful stuff.
    I wanted to use them for 3 or 4 heavy sets of squats, after doing the raw stuff, but since they take half an hour to set up I'll have to re-evaluate.

Did you just put em straight on without using suit slippers or plastic bags? If you could get them on without using either of the above, they're not too tight!!

Did you just put em straight on without using suit slippers or plastic bags? If you could get them on without using either of the above, they're not too tight!!

I used a little talcom powder, which helped, but man they're tight, like they're going about 2 inches into my legs. I'll try with bags next time round.

I used a little talcom powder, which helped, but man they're tight, like they're going about 2 inches into my legs. I'll try with bags next time round.

I've never used the bags so can't say how well they work tbh. I've heard tights do the job too. I've a pair of suit slippers if you wanna try em some day. They make it SOOOO much easier.

My squat suit would literally not go above my knees were it not for the slippers. It's still not easy to get on, but it's possible!!

I've never used the bags so can't say how well they work tbh. I've heard tights do the job too. I've a pair of suit slippers if you wanna try em some day. They make it SOOOO much easier.

My squat suit would literally not go above my knees were it not for the slippers. It's still not easy to get on, but it's possible!!

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too concerned with training in them for another few weeks. Until then i'll put them on every few nights and parade around the house for a while, wear them in a little bit. After that if I still can't get em on quick I might invest in suit slippers or take you up on that offer.
    The tights could work, but my family would destroy me, not to mention the idea of wearing tights up in TotalFitness.

Squat
    40kgs x 8
    60kgs x 6
    80kgs x 4
    100kgs x 2
    110kgs x 2
    120kgs x 1
    130kgs x 2 PR
    90kgs x 12

SpeedyBenchPress
    bar x 12
    50kgs x 10
    80kgs x 5
    85kgs x 5
    90kgs x 5
    95kgs x 5
    100kgs x 5
    85kgs x 12

Incline Dumbell Press
    17.5kg dumbells x 12
    25kg x 12
    32.5 x 10
    35 x 6-8

FacePulls
    4 sets up to pin 52.5, 16-20 reps

Flat Bench Dumbell Stretch with 25s for 40seconds. Painful stuff.

Squatting was good today, one of the better days for sure. Probably could have went slightly heavier.
    Bench was good too. 100kgs for 5 clean reps is as good as I've ever done really.
    Training partner was present again, feeling the pain from benching twice a week for the first time ever. He'll thank me when his numbers fly up.

• Advertisement

30/04/09

wide grip pulldowns
    2 warmups
    60 x 12
    82.5 x 8
    90 x 6
    97.5 x 6
    97.5 x 6

sumo deads
    60kgs many sets x many reps
    80kgs x 8
    100kgs x 4
    120kgs x 4
    140kgs x 1
    belt on
    150kgs x 2

machine preacher curls
    35 x 12
    45 x 10
    45 x 10

Late getting to the gym, so rest between sets was minimal. Good session nonetheless. First time doing sumo deads and they were fairly good. These were probably the closest stance sumos in history, but I'll widen that up next time round.

Advertisement