Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boss ME-50

Options
  • 16-02-2005 10:44pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or are there loads of "issues", for want of a better word, with the ME-50? The half second gap when changing between two patches on the same bank makes it pretty much useless for live applications. Even my old Zoom 505-2 could change without a gap. Using it in manual mode in ok for some things but if you want to change from a nice clean with some chorus and reverb to a distortion with compressors and tone shaping, you can forget it.

I'm really not loving it tbh. The sounds are great and all but still, the gap makes it pretty much useless live.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I had that problem with my zoom 505. I'd say flog it and get a POD XT live or a gt8

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

TBH, that problem in in the GT-8 too.

G-Major maybe... And a nice midi controller.

Sweet, how about a POD 2 and floorboard?

Too expensive. Plus I'm not a fan of Line 6's stuff really.

Not really, a guy on gigsmart was selling a flextone 2 and the FB which is the FB as the POD 2. Then the POD is only like 200 online

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Yeah the half second gap is ridiculous. The only solution is to bend down in between songs and set it to what you want. So find your effects and get a paper and pen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's times like this that remind me why I'm not a fan of multieffects pedals, and the like. Nothing beats a 3 or 4 channel amp, with a footswitch and effects loop if need be, nothing else can even dream of coming close.

Chorus = nicest clean ever!

Even changing the settings during songs won't help ya if you want to have chorusy clean one second and filthy distortion the next.

Well then obviously put a chorus pedal in your effects loop. Sorted!

Pah. What about delay, flanger, those other effects that I use....

• Advertisement

I love my pedalboard!

Rackmounted seems the way to go. Midi controlled effects and amps. Oh yeah *trusts*

All those things can go into the loop, and are perfectly accessible right there on your pedal rack.

This + this + this + this + this = happy feylya

sweet

Modest. No big **** off speakers :p

I wouldnt get the behringer though. I'd get a rocktron rackmounted midi switcher and the floorboard. Add a korg rack tuner, a shure wireless, and a power conditioner to that rack. Then you'd have a good rig

TBH, I've heard great things about that midi board... Dunno if I could be bothered with a rack mounted tuner. I'd have a monkey to tune my guitars for me. Wireless, bleh. Power conditioner definately.

mmmm.... conditioned power. Like some kind of xtreme version of L'oreal

"Shampoo your Power!"

I will now go and make a tshirt with that logo.

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:
    This + this + this + this + this = happy feylya

Whoah, now that's just liquid insanity!

I honestly can't say I'd ever feel the need to put together a rig like that. Just this baby would have me sorted for life. Maybe I prefer to keep things fairly simple, but what does everything there do? I've not much understanding of racks really, so pardon the rather goober-esque question.

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_artikel-165005.html

Yes.

Multi fx - pre amp - power amp - speaker cabinet - midi controller

To be honest, I wouldn't be gone on the Road King, as it's actually a rectifier series amp, and the Mark series are far more versatile amps. I think the only reason John Petrucci gets a decent clean out of them is because he uses two seperate Road King heads, one for Distortions and one for Cleans. I'd take the Mark IV over the RK any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

feylya wrote:
    Chorus = nicest clean ever!

...ahem... if it's got an effect on it, then it's not clean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

feylya wrote:
    Is it just me or are there loads of "issues", for want of a better word, with the ME-50?

Is that the one you got only recently?

Tbh, in the five years that i've owned that idiotic zoom 505 pedal, i havent managed to "program" a single patch/bank. I dont know why i got it in the first place (second hand/without manual) - so far it has only managed to drive me insane! I dont know how i would cope with an ME-50, i am really not made for multi-fx, and they are not made for me.

Would you not consider getting rid of it and investing that money towards that nice Mesa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Ah yes! Midi contolled systems. The only way forward. But you need money.

It works in the way that all you're effects and amp are all racked up and are all controlled together by own foot controller.

You will get 99 seperate banks to program the switches in which, for example say bank 1 is "song whatever", You'd program the first switch to have a clean sound, then the second with a clean sound and delay, then 3 with distortion and a phaser and a pitch shift, etc, etc. So you prgram 1 bank of effects for each song! Genius!

You have the advantage of changing hundreds of effects and amp channels, with just one switch! It's great!

In that case i'm a loooooong way from anything Midi-related...and by the time i "catch-up" who knows what new gadgets will be out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Clean tone + Overdrive/Distorted tone

What else does one need? :confused:

That's about it. And perhaps just a DD-2 for flavour.

Dont get me wrong, i would love to mess around with these multi-yokes but a) no money, and b) no time and c) no patience. And in the end i would always end up right back at the start - geetar====>amp.

Blame SRV :)

• Advertisement

Clean.
    Clean with chorus.
    Clean with Delay
    Clean with chorus and delay.
    Clean with flanger.
    Clean with flanger and delay.
    Light Distortion with all those effects.
    Heavy Distortion with all those effects.
    Wah.

That's what I use constantly.

Advertisement