Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Some of the Pacific Islands have no tsunami alert systems,hope the have got the calls to evacuate to high ground.Alaska has just go tsunami warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jaysus, just got into work at 8am and have been glued to this since, absolutely terrible stuff to watch.

So much carnage and destruction, wish anyone in the effected areas the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Warning of imminent earthquake in Honshu island. Just checked wikipedia there and it says it has a population of 103 million!:eek: that has to be wrong right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bbc news are constanly looping a clip of the wave going over fields with a sh¡t lot of debris in it...

...kinda curious/concerned how far in land that could have gotten.

as far as i could see on an image skynews did up showing affected areas... the entire east coast got hit.

• Aljazeera are issuing warnings that Japan have issued warnings of another imminent major earthquake in the same area.

• Advertisement

Ok I think I'm confused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Another quake warning for northeast island,they really are getting hit hard.Imagine Ireland in the same situation.....not being flippant but we couldn't handle a bit of snow,this would destroy us.
    Red Cross has just announced the wave is now bigger than some Pacific Islands.

zerks wrote: »
    Another quake warning for northeast island,they really are getting hit hard.Imagine Ireland in the same situation.....not being flippant but we couldn't handle a bit of snow,this would destroy us.

Couldnt have said it better - really puts things into perspective in a big way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

red cross saying some pacific islands are in danger of being badly hit and the waves are potentially higher than some of the islands.

That would be a total disaster. Small island nations would be wiped off the map in minutes.

• Advertisement

• leahyl wrote: »
    Warning of imminent earthquake in Honshu island. Just checked wikipedia there and it says it has a population of 103 million!:eek: that has to be wrong right?
    Honshu Island is the entire middle of the country so yea, that would be right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

zerks wrote: »

the main problem with that "bit of snow"... particularly in dublin... a lot of drivers were expecting the councils to provide perfect roads. this does not compare.

there is no way you can put in a pre-emptive plan for natural disasters like this...

Honshu Island is the entire middle of the country so yea, that would be right.

Ok that's fine cos there was this guy on the phone with sky news earlier and when that news cane through the news guy asked him if that was a heavily populated area and yer man says "yes but it wouldn't be a big as the other cities like Tokyo"!!! WTF!!! It's the whole area you idiot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Oh this is awful :(

Here's hoping that all boardsies currently in Japan (I know of several) are safe and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Absolutely shocking coverage.. jesus it kind of brings things into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

On one of the live feeds I just watched a ship being swirled around in a vortex like it was a bathtub toy. The scale is hard to grasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Sky has that oil refinery explosion on repeat and then replays the same wave. Pile of crap.

I can't fathom how this will end up, the casualties, the clear up. It's horrific to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

If that wave they keep showing on a loop on Sky News is anything to go by there will be huge numbers of dead all around the coastal areas of Japan. Just checked on Wiki and there are millions upon millions living of the eat coast area near the quake. This is horrible simply horrible.

Watching the CNN live stream - the Japanese newslady reported 18 confirmed dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Looking on Google Earth, some of those islands in the Pacific, if the tsunami reaches them, would be obliterated.

• Advertisement

It's been confirmed that it's the worst earthquake ever to hit japan. Jesus Christ

And the 5th worst earthquake in the world since 1900 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Japanese media are confirming 19 dead so far and many more missing.. You have to think this is just the tip of the ice berg :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

just heard some islands around that area have been swallowed up by the tsunami, really hope there was'nt a big population on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

The tsunami is going to hit Taiwan in 40 minutes this is horrific :(

Konata wrote: »
    And the 5th worst earthquake in the world since 1900 :(

:eek: Jesus just looking at sky news - showing a diagram of the direction the waves are heading - one looks like it could hit papa new guinea and northern Australia - surely it won't be strong enough by the time it gets there??! I'm scared now. The word apocalyptic springs to mind...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

just heard some islands around that area have been swallowed up by the tsunami, really hope there was'nt a big population on them
    There is a huge population. I'm almost afraid to think of the numbers tbh. Millions living there.:( So sadding. I feel sick to my stomach.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

just reading this on my way to work, shocking stuff.

I've been planning to go to Japan for the last while, and will probably be spending a college year there in a few years so I've been doing a lot of reading about earthquakes and typhoons and the like.

I had read that a massive earthquake was due in Japan, that meterologists have been waiting for it for the last few years. Apparently these things are cyclic. Of course, I'm sure everyone hoped it would never happen :( It's so awful to see, especially to this country that I care so much about :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

leahyl wrote: »
    :eek: Jesus just looking at sky news - showing a diagram of the direction the waves are heading - one looks like it could hit papa new guinea and northern Australia - surely it won't be strong enough by the time it gets there??! I'm scared now. The word apocalyptic springs to mind...:(

it should'nt be to strong but who know's, i'm sure it could cause some problems, people in hawaii within a half mile to a mile of the coast have been warned to move to high ground

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement