Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow 2012 MacBook Pro

Options
  • 30-10-2015 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello All,

I was advised to post here from the Apple Devices forum.

I'm aware that this is probable thread number 4567 regarding a slow MacBook Pro but I can't justify bringin my laptop into a shop to be repaired until I have looked at every option

I bought my 13" MacBook in October 2012 about 2 weeks after Mountain Lion was launched and ML was pre-installed.

In mid 2014 I noticed that it was starting to slow down (that dreaded beach ball was starting to make more of an appearance). So I decided to change from a 500GB hard drive to a 250GB solid state drive which I installed myself. It was like a brand new laptop! It would turn on instantaneously and the speed of changing apps was incredible.

However about 3 weeks I turned it on and noticed it was taking quite a while to boot up (5min as opposed to 30 seconds). Its slow even using it. Its taking safari, word and other apps an age to open.

I can't put my finger on what might be wrong. I have a feeling it is the RAM but I don't want to order 2x8GB RAM parts until I am sure it is that.

Any advice how to diagnose what might be the reason for the sudden slowness. (It wasn't turning slow progressively, it was instantly noticeable).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

Comments

Advertisement