Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restaurant with decent Truffle dish/dishes?

• 25-07-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I love truffles and need a friend who has never had them to experience them for the first time. Does anyone (from experience) know a restaurant (in Dublin) with a great truffle dish? Eg truffle ravioli, or maybe a side of truffle mashed potatoes?
    Alternatively, does anybody know where you can purchase really great truffle ravioli?

All suggestions welcome...!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

In the whole world, or somewhere more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 trufflesplease

sorry- Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Hi,
    I love truffles and need a friend who has never had them to experience them for the first time. Does anyone (from experience) know a restaurant (in Dublin) with a great truffle dish? Eg truffle ravioli, or maybe a side of truffle mashed potatoes?
    Alternatively, does anybody know where you can purchase really great truffle ravioli?

All suggestions welcome...!

It depends what ya want..... Are you willing to pay €€€€€€ for a quality dish or for a set menu that may have one aspect of truffle? Only one place comes to mind. I ate here recently and it was amazing. Mind you it was pricey but amazing. Truffles were only part of one course.

Thorntons have a truffle sabayon as part of their dinner menu.

http://www.thorntonsrestaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DINNER.MENU-2013.pdf

Im sure somewhere does truffle scrambled egg. Maybe one of the upmarket hotels.....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

I think Sheridans used to sell truffle oil aswell as fresh truffles when in season. Fresh truffle season is from late summer into autumn. they will be pricey either way, especially being so out of season. Up to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

as above Thorntons is good but pricey. But then so are truffles! I'd suggest you wait a little while and see if you can get fresh truffles and do a bit of cooking yourself. Simple struff like a well made plain omelette with truffle shavings, pasta with a real mushroom sauce and grated truffle, risotto with truffle is amazing or (as you suggest yourself) mashed potato with truffle. Truffles are expensive but you use so little in a dish it's well worth buying if you really like that taste. It will keep fresh under olive oil.

You can also get real truffle oil or truffle "paste" in Italian shops. Don't buy the crap in supermarkets, it's no substitute!

You might also find this link useful, good like-minded people! http://www.mushroomstuff.com/asp/index.asp?objectid=1061&Mode=0&RecordID=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 trufflesplease

Thanks everyone :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I got a lovely truffle pasta with artichokes and parmesan in Fade Street Social recently. On the whole I thought the place was a bit overrated, but the truffle pasta was very very good.

Advertisement