Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye Bye Grants

• 06-12-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭40040D

I'm actually delighted that there cutting the grants - Bout' time !

For those of you who have been getting grants for the past few years need to realise what the grant is actually for; ie paying for your fees and accommodation and not for drinking and partying.

For some people getting the grant they seem to think that they need in excess of €5000 a year to get through college. However of all the students I know getting the grant I can tell you exactly where the majority of this money goes: pubs, cars, clothes drink etc.. Not to getting your books, uniforms rent etc.

The grant system needs a good look at anyway. It should not be possible to get the grant and back to education allowance.

There's going to be another surge in students complaining about this without a doubt and many will go on about how there's nothing left in this country. You know what that "there's no jobs attitude" is absolute crap. There are people looking for staff in all areas in Ireland from barbers to cleaners.

As a student myself I work every weekend so I can go to college, pay my rent etc. - and I live over 300kms away from home/work. People complain about the un-availability of work where they live. Commute! College is expensive and people need to get used to it, nothing is for free and no one is 'entitled' to anything in this life

- What entitles us to a right free education?

There are plenty of jobs out there we just need to look in the right places. Some of us, in particular my generation and the generations after ours have a terrible attitude to work anyway...Plenty of jobs available as cleaners ...But that attitude that "I'm not doin that", "the wages are too low" crap just shows how we are so used to things being handed to us.

Oh and to anyone applying for college next year you might want to consider getting a job or two and really thinking if college is for you..'cause it ain't cheap if you're out on your own !

/Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BBWebDesigns

That is absoloute crap your talking :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭40040D

That is absoloute crap your talking :mad:

Ooh Mad faces ..tut could you not of had a more explanatory reply no?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Your wrong, simple as. I personally work 3 days a week (Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday) and go to college. If I didn't get the grant I wouldn't be there.

Not all of us have mammy and daddy to fall back on you know!

Edit: Just too add I work for minimum wage in a job 30 minutes away from home and almost 2 hours away from college.
    If it was that easy to find a job I would have a better one

• That is absoloute crap your talking :mad:

In fairness I got grants all through college even though I had a part time job that earned me more than enough to live on. My grants usually bought me flights + some spending money to North America on 2 occasions, heavily financed an interrailing trip. I also remember getting my second instalment one January, went into college, picked up the cheue went to the bank, went to gamestop and bought a ps3 when they were very very expensive. Im happy I got it but no way did i need it, harsher conditions needed at least

• Advertisement

In fairness I got grants all through college even though I had a part time job that earned me more than enough to live on. My grants usually bought me flights + some spending money to North America on 2 occasions, heavily financed an interrailing trip. I also remember getting my second instalment one January, went into college, picked up the cheue went to the bank, went to gamestop and bought a ps3 when they were very very expensive. Im happy I got it but no way did i need it, harsher conditions needed at least

Well then you shouldn't have taken the grant if your circumstances didn't warrant it. You can't punish everyone because of your own lack of morals, some people desperately depend on their grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BBWebDesigns

40040D wrote: »
    Ooh Mad faces ..tut could you not of had a more explanatory reply no?
    As said above your wrong maybe things are all nice in your little world but some people could not go to college if they didn't get the grant simple as.Then there would be even more people at home with next to no education would that make ya happier

• Blay wrote: »
    Well then you shouldn't have taken the grant if your circumstances didn't warrant it. You can't punish everyone because of your own lack of morals, some people desperately depend on their grant.

My point is I shouldn't have been given it hence my last statement "harsher conditions needed at least" nobody is going to turn down free money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Everyone is entitled to an education. Why anyone thinks the government should stop helping the less well off have an equal opportunity baffles me.

Education is not only for the rich.

My point is I shouldn't have been given it hence my last statement "harsher conditions needed at least" nobody is going to turn down free money

Apologies I missed the end bit, I'll agree with you that stricter qualification standards are needed but for the OP to gloat at grants being cut is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭40040D

Lads I have me own job, am also on minimum wage I just think the system needs to be looked at properly. As in people who get it when they clearly don't need it, as mentioned above.

Oh and I don't have "mammy and daddy" to fall back on btw. Paying my own way as much as i can and have a fair bit of debt to pay back too.

It rages me when I know of people who rob the system blind if they can get away with it. Part time job, grant , and back to edu.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

The gravy train has stopped and not before time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

my parents are broke and i pay for everything myself. i work full time during the holidays, weekends and i teach music during the week to pay for everything. I'm constantly wrecked, but i think it's worth it because i understand the importance of education. my friend next door was in the same situation as me, and this year for the first time- she was able to get the grant. she quit her job straight away because the income was no longer needed. i have other friends who use their grant money to fund their cars and social lives. i can't afford either at the minute. there is a ridiculous amount of students on the grant, most of which definitely do not need it. i guarantee you if their grant was taken off them, they would work to pay for it themselves, or take out a student loan. lucky are those who have the government handing them out money.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

i dont approve of people spending the money on their social lives and i think they should be a lot stricter on who gets it but i dont see the problem of using it to fund a car for some people its not possible to get a bus or train

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

Well I for one can not afford to give up my grant, I wish I could afford to go to college with out my grant but I cant.

I get 3100 euro, My rent alone is 2700, so it leaves me 400 euro. I cannot get a part time job because I spend my weekends catching up on all the stuff that needs to be done in my home, etc.

So can anyone tell me why I dont deserve my grant. I dont spend my money on drinking, I have been out three times since September, and have not been on holidays in years etc. I dont waste my money. So why should I be punished for other people wasting their grants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I'm not totally agreeing with the OP, I don't like to see the grant get cut, but he does make a valid point.

In my class a vast portion of people can be heard planning how they're going to use their grant, one lad went to Benicassim, another bought a new surfboard and wetsuit. IMO, it should be a loan which if not used on accomodation/books etc. should be made to be repaid after the course is over, not used to get smashed (which alot -not all- of students use it for, most namely first years).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Stop the grants, all students do is drink and party.

What a load of bull, if the spoilt brats didnt have mammies and daddy's to fall back on everytime they wanted to go out this wouldn't be an issue.

I pay all my own bills, including keeping my car on the road to get me up and down to college. If I didn't have the grant I would not be in college because I wouldn't be able to afford it simple as.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Stop the grants, all students do is drink and party.

Woaaaah, hold up there buddy. Not all students do is drink and party, personally I've been in a pub/niteclub for a total of 4 hours since September what with our course load and I'm only in 3rd year, so don't go painting everyone with the same brush.

What I'm saying is that if students want to waste their own/parents money let that be it, but they should be made use the now-cut grant on what it's intended for, assisting in college, books, accomodation etc.

-Just to add:
    I don't get the grant in any form, yes I do depend on parents only because we're lucky enough not to need to get loans (we don't drive BMW's or anything like that :P) to put me through college. I intend fully to pay them back once I get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Woaaaah, hold up there buddy. Not all students do is drink and party, personally I've been in a pub/niteclub for a total of 4 hours since September what with our course load and I'm only in 3rd year, so don't go painting everyone with the same brush.

What I'm saying is that if students want to waste their own/parents money let that be it, but they should be made use the now-cut grant on what it's intended for, assisting in college, books, accomodation etc.

-Just to add:
    I don't get the grant in any form, yes I do depend on parents only because we're lucky enough not to need to get loans (we don't drive BMW's or anything like that :P) to put me through college. I intend fully to pay them back once I get a job.

Try reading the second line of his post:P

mackg wrote: »
    Try reading the second line of his post:P

The spoilt brat comment?

Few of those in my course, they dropped out in first year no surprise really.

Depending on your parents isn't being spoilt, taking advantage of them is. Two totally different stories imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

my parents are broke and i pay for everything myself. i work full time during the holidays, weekends and i teach music during the week to pay for everything. I'm constantly wrecked, but i think it's worth it because i understand the importance of education. my friend next door was in the same situation as me, and this year for the first time- she was able to get the grant. she quit her job straight away because the income was no longer needed. i have other friends who use their grant money to fund their cars and social lives. i can't afford either at the minute. there is a ridiculous amount of students on the grant, most of which definitely do not need it. i guarantee you if their grant was taken off them, they would work to pay for it themselves, or take out a student loan. lucky are those who have the government handing them out money.

If your parents are in fact broke and not "broke" then you should be entitled to a grant. And to the OP, wtf is wrong with spending grant money on clothes? Spud sacks are soooooo last century hunay! I had a grant for 5 of my years in college and for the first 2 it was helpful as I had a part time job, but after 2008 I couldn't get a job, no way, no effing jobs in west cork that I could do with my college hours, so after 2008 if I didn't get my grant I would have had to drop out. I went out all of 5 times over the 5 years I think:o so don't paint everyone with the same brush as you obviously haven't a clue:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

@Leeg17 you disagreed with his first line, he called it bull himself in his second line.

I agree that things will have to get stricter in terms of grants and full grants should not be awarded to people who do not need them, I don't think anyone will disagree with that really. Have to say I didn't come across any spoiled brats in my time in college so far but I am in a fairly small course which wouldn't exactly be the kind of thing people would apply for just for the sake of going to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Knew a lad( a farmers son), was fairly well off, had money anyway to go out on the lash every week etc etc. Anyway he got a grant, I think it was around the 2 grand mark.
    Everytime he got one of his cheques, he'd cash it as soon as he could, straight down to the bookies, and backed a horse, the whole lot on a horse!
    When he won, he'd spend it on himself and his mates on a 3 or 4 day bender, when he lost, didn't seem to care atall atall.
    Just a big example of someone abusing the system..

mackg wrote: »
    @Leeg17 you disagreed with his first line, he called it bull himself in his second line..

Ah, misread it, sorry :p

It makes sense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 chattycatty

Hi All..
    As a former student in 2010/2011, I believe each student in receipt of a grant should have to pay it back when they start working. This would stop certain families not declaring their means when applying for a grant. The grant has not been cut , as the increase in fees is been covered while the student who as to pay it all is being penalised by another 250 euro. So students who receive grants should appreciate it that the taxpayer is funding them as it stands. It is these honest taxpayers children who don't receive a grant. If a student really wants to go to college they would be more willing to pay it back at the end of college.This would stop students wasting money in college when they don't even want to do the course.
    I am not saying every student parents is not declaring their means,just their a rather large proportion of the self employed and farming community children who are in receipt of grants that do not deserve it.

Hi All..
    As a former student in 2010/2011, I believe each student in receipt of a grant should have to pay it back when they start working. This would stop certain families not declaring their means when applying for a grant. The grant has not been cut , as the increase in fees is been covered while the student who as to pay it all is being penalised by another 250 euro. So students who receive grants should appreciate it that the taxpayer is funding them as it stands. It is these honest taxpayers children who don't receive a grant. If a student really wants to go to college they would be more willing to pay it back at the end of college.This would stop students wasting money in college when they don't even want to do the course.
    I am not saying every student parents is not declaring their means,just their a rather large proportion of the self employed and farming community children who are in receipt of grants that do not deserve it.

FFS.....
    On another note... hows about this if you get 1st class honors at end of your course, it's all free, otherwise you pay for it, results orientated much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 chattycatty

Hi I was just expressing my opinion which everyone is entitled to it,
    yes a first class is a good way to encourage students ,however it may be unfair as every student as a different ability..

Ya your right, sorry like:cool:

I see what you mean about it being unfair but really and truly we're talking here about people going to an 3rd institute, performing very well and not having to pay, we're not talking about school or something that you have to do the same ole, if you really want to go to college then pick something you can achieve in, it would probably have a positive effect in two ways,

1) People will be less likely to cost extra tax payers money on dropping out after 1st as they would be in a course they actually thought about doing

2) People would probably in general achieve higher and that can only be a good thing for everyone

One problem is the people going to college would need to make a very well informed decision as opposed to crap we got from the careers guy in school..."oh, your a fella, any uncles in a trade? no?...right you should do engineering" and all girls were to be nurses!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

This post had me fuming after I read it. Not all people can get part time jobs to support there way through college. Around 60,000 people in college or more(not sure the exact number) The grant is generally 3000 with fees paid and this basically covers accomadation,bills but no more and works out around 85 euro a week. I would not have been able to afford to go to college if I hadnt recieved the grant so your statement is very offensive and highly insulting.

Only people on very low incomes get the 6000 grant, generally households with less than 350 euro a week income I think and how would a household like that pay for a child to go to college???? This works out generraly at 180 euro and they have every entitlement to it. They need clothes,books,bus fairs,

From my expierence students have every right to go and have a few drinks with friends and why not? They usually pre drink which is cheap and only buy one drink when there out because they cannot afford anymore. College is supposed to be the best years of your lives and you go out and have fun which is all part of it. What part of college life would you have if ya stayed home and studied all year? I for one would find it boring.

I also had an intensive workload heavy course. I was in college 9 to 5 Monday to thurday and 9 to 2 on Friday. I was up most nights till all hours some weeks and also had to work weekends. Programming is a pain!

Wow fair play to you for working and getting a job(note the sarcasm). If people could get jobs they could. Do you not know that we are in a recession?

I think you are bitter of people that go out in college cause maybe you don't and think you are better than people for working to get yourself through college(who cares).

IF PEOPLE ARE WORKING PART TIME AND STILL GETTING THE GRANT, THEY ARE DEFINITELY ENTITLED TO IT AND SHOULD NOT BE CUT IN ANY WAY. IT HELPS EASE THE FINANCIAL PRESSURE ON THE PARENTS. If there grant was cut it would increase the financial strain on the parents immensely. Students have every right to spend the grant however they want on clothes, cars whatevers. I do agree there parents finances need to be more throughly assesed not the studentsthemselves because if they worked previously and are working its there money they suffered and should not be cut at all because good on em for working and they paid there PRSI,tax etc.

RANT OVER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

areyawell wrote: »
    Students have every right to spend the grant however they want on clothes, cars whatevers.

RANT OVER!

Really? A car is an absolute student necessity?

The grant is there to support a student in getting an education, not to fund their social life. Cars are a luxury and the grant should not be funding cars for students who are too bone lazy to walk to college or get the bus etc.

If a student is using their grant to buy a car, they don't need the grant. They are clearly able to afford rent, bills and other college expenses.

Advertisement