Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tadpoles

• 25-03-2012 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Anyone else with ponds that has noticed a huge increase in tadpoles this year.

We have a large pond (about 2m deep and 8m diametre with a 1m shallow edge) and normmaly we have several hundred tadpoles for the past few years, but currently its in the thousands and about 3-4 times the number we had last year.

Now, whilst i niow live in a rural area, I'm a jackeen, so any tips on tadpoles are welcome - should I put netting over the pond to stop birds having a feast or allow nature take its course?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there anything in the pond for the tadpoles to shelter in/under?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

is there anything in the pond for the tadpoles to shelter in/under?

plenty of large stones and large willow tree being planted this week also - we also have about 6 swallow nests in the eaves of the house and it was quite a sight watching them dive in for "food" for their new born.

must take a photo of a part to show the number of tadpoles - at a guess I'd say 5000 minimum, about 5 years ago you could count them on 2 hands. Great for all the kids on the lane to watch and take notes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I haven't been back to this pond since the start of the month, but I'd imagine there are a few tadpoles in it!!!:)

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=12306

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=12307

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Do tadpoles eat blanket weed? I've read that they can eat algae, but not sure if that includes all types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Skyla Tangy Cloud

Yes, they will eat blanket weed. But not enough to eradicate it, if that is what you're thinking.

• Advertisement

Not so much whether they eradicate it, but what effect removing it would have on the tadpoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Skyla Tangy Cloud

Not so much whether they eradicate it, but what effect removing it would have on the tadpoles.

Ok. They eat plenty of other plant material and at this time of year would be more carnivorous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

I've noticed a load this year too, its great to see them. One of the ponds I was watching was seething with them. I've noticed quite a few have disappeared though over the last while, hoping they have hatched!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Tadpole numbers always drop down to a certain level to suit the size of the pond, no matter how many hatch out initially from the frogspawn. Those that are lucky enough to get off to a good start can inhibit the growth of the smaller ones, which don't thrive and gradually just disappear. Its a natural process.
    This describes how frog tadpoles can inhibit Natterjack toad tadpoles, which helps to explain why the natterjacks find it hard to expand their range from a few coastal areas that are probably too dry for the frogs anyway.
    But even within frog tadpoles, once a few become larger than the others, the smaller ones will not thrive unless they are moved to another pond where they are now the biggest ones.

Advertisement