Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You should tell the you have a PhD if they say crap like that. Since I started my own business I've remembered how much I dislike working with the public. Even I need a new job. :D

I can never get over how many people dont know how to turn on and off their phones, like 99% of phones have a button with the universal symbol for power on it, and its like a magical button they cant figure out. iphone users are the worst for this, and its only since I got an iphone myself I see how simple they are to use, the phone does most of the work for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

krudler wrote: »
    I can never get over how many people dont know how to turn on and off their phones, like 99% of phones have a button with the universal symbol for power on it, and its like a magical button they cant figure out. iphone users are the worst for this, and its only since I got an iphone myself I see how simple they are to use, the phone does most of the work for you.

I was just going to mention the iPhone. I didn't know how to switch it off when I first got it. I was having problems with it so was ringing O2 to get them to fix the billing etc and they had to tell me how to switch it off over the phone when I rang in. :o When I'd rung previous times I'd been at home so I'd just switched it off by putting a paper clip in and taking the sim card out, rang another time while at work and they had to tell me. :pac: How f*cking embarrassing.

Still don't read manuals. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Oh, it's so very cold. It's one of those days a work where I'm so unfocussed I put in the wrong key FOUR times connecting to a network.

Apparently I might have to read at the launch of the journal my story is going to be in (if it's like previous years, anyway). Excuse me while I faint all over everyone. I can't think of a more nightmarish scenario. I would rather dance for them.

Stockholm on Tuesday.

I was just going to mention the iPhone. I didn't know how to switch it off when I first got it. I was having problems with it so was ringing O2 to get them to fix the billing etc and they had to tell me how to switch it off over the phone when I rang in. :o When I'd rung previous times I'd been at home so I'd just switched it off by putting a paper clip in and taking the sim card out, rang another time while at work and they had to tell me. :pac: How f*cking embarrassing.

Still don't read manuals. :)

apple have the right idea, a short basic manual in the box and the rest is online, nobody reads manuals they're a waste of paper these days, and you can find pdf's for nearly any electrical appliance you own online anyway.

you could just google "how do I turn off an iphone" ya know, on the phone :p

actually thats another thing, people who own iphones who still ring directory enquires, whhhyyy?! you have the entire interwebz in your hand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I hate people. I've just decided. I'm standing in this stupid line outside the RDS and there's a woman behind me repeating over and over again "ya alright sweetheart" to her child who is bored and crying to be cuddled. If she says it again I'll lift the child out of the buggy myself and console the poor mite myself.

She's just said it again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I made pancakes for brunch.

For the record, orange zest and maple syrup is an amazing combination to put on top :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Did you get to your friends party? :D
    Yes, eventually! It was a bit annoying because she and all her friends are couples. :rolleyes:
    But.. there was cake and I even got a slice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Someone was asking about ereaders, was it FouxdaFaFa? I have a kindle, love it, and the format things aren't too bad if you get software to convert things to mobi - I've put pdfs and stuff on it for college notes before.

Work at 3, waah, does not want. And has too much college work to do before then. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Went blonde for a good cause and it's taking a bit of getting used to, I keep forgetting until I see my reflection walking pass a mirror or window and freak myself out but decided to test the theory do blondes have more fun last night and I can conclusively say that yes, yes they do. It's weird though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I'm strongly tempted to get my hair stripped, it's too dark right now. I haven't seen my natural colour since I was 11 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

krudler wrote: »
    apple have the right idea, a short basic manual in the box and the rest is online, nobody reads manuals they're a waste of paper these days, and you can find pdf's for nearly any electrical appliance you own online anyway.

you could just google "how do I turn off an iphone" ya know, on the phone :p

actually thats another thing, people who own iphones who still ring directory enquires, whhhyyy?! you have the entire interwebz in your hand

There must be something wrong with me, I ALWAYS read the manuals! Too afraid to break the thing if I start using it without reading the manual! Drives me NUTS being beside someone trying to figure out how to get an appliance going without reading the instructions. Especially when they fup it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Our cat is now famous! :D

http://getoutoftherecat.tumblr.com/

The first one on the telly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    This has probably been asked millions of times before, but do any of ye have e-readers? I'm in the market for one (finally). I came around to the idea after seeing how many books are available for free download. It doesn't need to be a kindle, or a touchscreen, or a tablet. Just reasonably priced and easy to read with.

I have the kindle and I find it great. From what I have heard, the 3rd generation kindle (the one I have, which is NOT touchscreen) is better than the new one (which IS touchscreen). I absolutely love it (also keeping me sane while breastfeeding...can change the page with one hand...). Battery life of 3 to 4 weeks if you keep the wifi off, can store 3000 books, light, love that the screen is not backlit (so you can read in the sun or the shade), also love that it has a dictionary built in, I've really learned loads of new vocabulary since I bought it.

Cons: Books from Amazon are quite dear (the same price as paper versions) but this is a platform-wide problem, in that it's the publishers setting the prices, not Amazon. (classics are free on gutenburgproject.com though).

Pro-tip: When you buy the kindle, it comes with a USB cable, so you can charge it off your computer. Like me, you might want to get a power adapter to charge it off the mains directly. However DO NOT buy the Amazon power adapter that is specially for the kindle. It costs about 40 euro, and is basically the same usb cable that comes with a plug adapter. Just order a generic usb power adapter to fit the cable you already have, it won't cost more than a tenner!

There must be something wrong with me, I ALWAYS read the manuals! Too afraid to break the thing if I start using it without reading the manual! Drives me NUTS being beside someone trying to figure out how to get an appliance going without reading the instructions. Especially when they fup it up.

depends on what you're trying to do really, if its simple stuff like customising layouts and tones and stuff then yeah go nuts, its when people start arsing around with stuff like email servers and dns addresses and things like that then you should at least check it out first instead of blaming me when they make a balls of it.

my texting usage has come down a load since I got an iphone, gotta love imessenger and whatsapp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This thread is worth a read re Kindles and there are quite a few others on boards, which are helpful.

I use this for charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

I hate moving especially when your left on your ownto do it :( though its looking so pretty must get the internet and tv sorted !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

So I had arranged to meet my dad for lunch today before work, spoke to him yesterday to confirm and everything. So I get to the place today for half one like we had arranged, and he never shows up! I text him and ring him, no answer. I'm actually so upset, I was waiting there like an eejit for half an hour :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Back from London, got back late last night.

Had a ball over there. It was amazing to see everyone.

My dad picked us up at the airport, he had been discharged from hospital the day before we arrived, but didn't tell us, so we had no idea he was picking us up. My jaw hit the floor when I looked up and saw him in front of me. :D

Thinking of going back over in May for his birthday to surprise him :D

So many pages to catch up on in here, 46 pages :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Most amazing Sunday dinner - roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, nom nom. Love lazy Sundays. <3

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

New Loungelight thread! It's KittyeeTrix this time, get yourselves over to the private forum and start questioning

*If you want access to the private forum, PM one of the tLL mods - rules are here :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Most times I get to the loungelight thread, the first few posters have asked about 30 questions between them and I can't think of anything else to ask! :o

LovelyMuffin, it's great that your dad is out of hospital, yaay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

MissElle that sucks! Did you find out what happened?

The Lovely Muffin I'm so glad!! That sounds like the most amazing suprise, I'm so happy for you :)

Novella I've a serious Yorkshire pudding weakness, they're amazing! My granddad used to make the best ones ever! I used to always get extra :) They remind me of him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Thanks for all the advice re e-readers, it's much appreciated. I may, however, just ignore everyone's advice and go for a Kobo Touch. It's DRM-free, which I think would suit me better in the long run.

In other news, I've been playing jazz all day at work. It sounds like a Private Investigators office. *turns on smoke machine and puts on trench coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Feeling a bit down today.

Been a bit frustrated with a few situations lately add that to PMS this weekend and I'm a bit :(.

Watching my recording of American Idol and will watch The Voice tonight. The sight of Bressie would cheer anyone up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

Energy levels are on the up now to figure out if my new supplement regime is working or if its one of lifes little coincidences..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Zombie cookies!!!
    ........ i need a job
    426229_10150818205844918_639164917_12524333_1911611816_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

bubblefett wrote: »
    Zombie cookies!!!
    ........ i need a job
    426229_10150818205844918_639164917_12524333_1911611816_n.jpg
    Get a job making cookies! If I had money, I'd happily pay you. :D

In other news, I can feel the onset of a headcold. :( Bleh. My throat hurts and I can't stop sneezing.
    Also, I really wish my Mom would stop using my computer. Just because I paid upwards of a grand and a half on a new rig, printer and scanner doesn't give her the right to go into my room while I'm out and use it. Drives me ****ing crazy, especially when she keeps installing games and opening popup ads despite me telling her thousands of times not to. ARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Hi!
    I used to post here a bit but took a bit of a break. But I came crawling back!

Im sitting waiting for my afternoon project of homemade quiche to be cooked. Smells lovely but seems to be taking foreverrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

McChubbin wrote: »
    Also, I really wish my Mom would stop using my computer. Just because I paid upwards of a grand and a half on a new rig, printer and scanner doesn't give her the right to go into my room while I'm out and use it. Drives me ****ing crazy, especially when she keeps installing games and opening popup ads despite me telling her thousands of times not to. ARGH!

Password protect it.

She can't use it properly (well, safely I guess seeing as she's opening popups) so for the sake of the machine, it should be locked to her.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Our cat is now famous! :D

http://getoutoftherecat.tumblr.com/

The first one on the telly!

My dog was actually on TV once and Ray d'Arcy tried to get him on the radio too, but it didn't work too well. Haha.

I have absolutely no idea why, but I've spent the past 10 minutes looking at Simpsons clips in foreign languages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement