Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coding Horror

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

http://heathersanimations.com/

Save heathers animations! Especially Africa people!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

that looks like my myspace!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Jesus. I hope that's just some left over relic from the good old days where the hosting hasn't run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It's nasty, but it's hardly a coding horror is it?

A coding horror to me is code that has been written by someone who has trained and is paid to be a developer. not heather that doesn't have a design bone and probably doesn't need one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Jesus. I hope that's just some left over relic from the good old days where the hosting hasn't run out.

"Site last updated: March 2013 "
    Heh. heh.

I have to concede that it is a very impressive collection.
    The 'stick people' are particularly dark and amusing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

A coding horror to me is code that has been written by someone who has trained and is paid to be a developer. not heather that doesn't have a design bone and probably doesn't need one :D

Does this count? http://www.clarevirtually.ie/ :pac:

I also found a really nice theme for Bootstrap http://divshot.github.io/geo-bootstrap/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Get paid per line? - http://www.fess.me/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

<td width="50%"><asp:RadioButton ID="radEmployee" runat="server" Text="Name or Badge Number" GroupName="Search" onclick="[B]SetSearchType[/B](1)" Checked="true" TextAlign="Left"/></td>
    <td width="50%"><asp:RadioButton ID="radGroup" runat="server" Text="Group" GroupName="Search" onclick="[B]SetSearchType[/B](2)"/></td>

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">

function SetSearchType(type) {
               $("[id$='SearchTypeValue']").val(type); 
           };
        </script>

if (((SearchTypeValue.Value.Length) == 0)) { SearchTypeValue.Value = "1"; }

good lord....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

my eyes are bleeding:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

www.ifi.ie

Not so much the look, more the user experience.

I have a membership card, and I have an IFI login, but never the twain shall meet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

(from x in db.table select x).ToList().Skip(skip).Take(take);

"I think there's something wrong with Azure, it's too slow"
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I've just come across code in a solution from a major international IT company. One particular method has about 30 variables, each named V1, V2, V3...V28, V29, V30.

Further investigation reveals that most methods in this major enterprise solution are written like this.

Sweet Jesus! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I've just come across code in a solution from a major international IT company. One particular method has about 30 variables, each named V1, V2, V3...V28, V29, V30.

Further investigation reveals that most methods in this major enterprise solution are written like this.
    Is a lot of their code like that? Hopefully not - it'd suggest either that they've produced it by disassembling something else they didn't have the source for, or that they're running an obfuscator over their code before it gets to you.

If so, it's a really bad sign that they could hold you to ransom in future (because no other contractor will be able to work with the obfuscated code without a gigantic headache).
    ...and if not, it's a really bad sign that they're dangerously incompetent :pac:

zynaps wrote: »
    Is a lot of their code like that? Hopefully not - it'd suggest either that they've produced it by disassembling something else they didn't have the source for, or that they're running an obfuscator over their code before it gets to you.

If so, it's a really bad sign that they could hold you to ransom in future (because no other contractor will be able to work with the obfuscated code without a gigantic headache).
    ...and if not, it's a really bad sign that they're dangerously incompetent :pac:

I'm leaning towards the dangerously incompetent unfortunately.
    These guys have no idea of basic design principles. They are our vendors for our main system. It's as important to us as an EPOS is for a supermarket. Every change request we give them is handed completely independently of the big picture - it's like they are developing a brand new system each time.

For a simple example, let's say we have Batch Job 1 that extracts data A, B and C to CSV format.

We request two more batch jobs:
    Batch Job 2: extract A, B, C to XML format
    Batch Job 3: extract A, B, C, D to CSV format

Each of those three jobs will be developed completely independently of each other; often using entirely different approaches to achieving very similar goals.

If we have an existing job that deals with 15 different objects and 5 different batch interfaces and we want another job developed that uses the EXACT same objects and interfaces, they will literally start developing that second job from scratch. Absolutely no reuse whatsoever.

Also, the relationship between the front end and the back end is a joke best described by that phrase "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma". Let's say the front end displays a value labeled "Cost" for Item A and a data extract of Item A contains the Cost value. This same value will not be sourced from the same location for the front end and extract. In fact, the extracted value might even be calculated in run time rather than retrieving it from a db, but the front end WOULD get it from a db. To make matters worse, there is no guarantee that the value on the extract and front end will match. There is also no guarantee that a field called Cost in the Item table is actually the source of the front end's Cost for Items.

Data might be correctly stored in the db, but when the user requests that data, instead of just retrieving it from the db, the system will do an ad hoc calculation. I'm talking about fairly complex algorithms here. However, even though the db is right, the ad hoc calculation might be defective. This is another reason why the db might not match what is outputted to the user.

This is a simplistic but representative sample of the nightmares we face every day with this company. It is a massive company, well known in the industry (not to the public though). Sadly, due to politics my own company, we are unlikely to move away from them anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

For those of you who are enamoured of Heather's Animations, be informed that Heather is an amateur at this stuff: http://www.lingscars.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

bpmurray wrote: »
    For those of you who are enamoured of Heather's Animations, be informed that Heather is an amateur at this stuff: http://www.lingscars.com/

Good lord, that site is a bad advertisement for drug abuse! Lol at the chicken walking across the twitter feed!

Why did the chicken walk across the road twitter feed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Nothing terrible, but I just came across a comment in the com.sun.mail.smtp package.
    } catch (AddressException aex) {
    // oh well...
    }

I always laugh at those sort of comments!

Mmm, empty catch block madness... had a couple of "no error messages or stacktrace, but it's not working... where is it all going wrong??" debugging sessions thanks to them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah that's where my handy "here1" "here2" etc come in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

zynaps wrote: »
    Mmm, empty catch block madness... had a couple of "no error messages or stacktrace, but it's not working... where is it all going wrong??" debugging sessions thanks to them!

Same here. Maddening! Depending on the development environment you use, you can set your debugger to break on all exceptions, caught or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I found this catch block today actually:
    } catch (Exception ex) {
    // hitting this probably means a bug as we have not anticipated the error condition
    }

At least it was followed by some error logging stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

bpmurray wrote: »

She did an In The Well on boards a few years ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63898510

Also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84302514&postcount=22

She's daft as a brush (meant in a nice sense), but her site and biz is kind of consistent with her eccentric branding. She also has a nifty office system when alerts the staff when people visit the site. I'm a bit surprised she hasn't responded to this thread to give a few kicks in the behind/bitch-slap.

It's well worth going through her posts for a good laugh and some interesting insights and stories. Once appeared on Dragons Den too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Reviewed a lovely Sonar driven refactor recently

if (someVar < 10)

was refactored to remove the magic number.
    Now we have

public static final int TEN = 10;
    if (someVar < TEN)

genius.

I cant wait until requirements changes and I see
    public static final int TEN = 11;

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    public static final int TEN = 10;
    if (someVar < TEN)

genius.