Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saul of Tarsus. The first heretic?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

JimiTime wrote: »
    We complicate it with dogma's etc. I suppose, like the talmud was for the law. Anyway, I'm rambling now.
    J.

All the same, dogma is necessary. Dogma serves as the guiding factor of the Christian faith.

As C.S Lewis describes it in Mere Christianity, he says that the dogma of Christianity is like the map we use to get from A to B. You might be happy just walking along the beach, but to get to somewhere of substance one needs to use a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Jakkass wrote: »
    All the same, dogma is necessary. Dogma serves as the guiding factor of the Christian faith.

As C.S Lewis describes it in Mere Christianity, he says that the dogma of Christianity is like the map we use to get from A to B. You might be happy just walking along the beach, but to get to somewhere of substance one needs to use a map.

Wholeheartedly disagree. Love God, hate religion, thats how i feel anyway. Dogma is man putting itself in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

I'm impressed but I don't see how that says that you need works in order to be saved. Will I read it again? There are three words in the Hebrew language for trusting. 'Hasa', 'Batak' and 'Amen'. All action words. Hebrew is a pictoral language. Hasa means to run to the shelter of a mother bird's wings or to the shelter of a rock. Batak is to lean on somehting like a staff and to lean with confidence that it will support you. Amen (ואמרו) is the un wavering faith that says "though he slay me yet will I trust him". Few if any of the Old Testament prophets got to this level of faith straight off. It takes years of walking with the Lord to attain this level of confidence. Abraham finally came to it when he offered Isaac. He knew Isaac was the child of promise and his faith was such that he knew if he offered him that God would raise him from the dead. That is Amen faith.

So you can see that this 'faith' of Jesus and the Prophets is not this either or 'faith' of Paul.
    Yes you are wrong!

So can you then please show me where Paul says anything in reference to the teachings of Jesus rather than just saying I'm wrong to think this.
    And this coming from someone who and hates Paul and thinks Jesus was nothing more than an overgrown monkey as appsoed to Lord and Savour.

All humans are overgrown monkeys, really a type of ape to be more precise. Jesus was one of us IMO, made remarkable by the works he did. The whole redemption dogma of Pauls requires that the story of Jesus be repeated on every planet in the universe where sentient life has evolved. I find this a ridiculous notion. It has God paying a debt to Itself for the sins of Its creatures on a multitude of planets by dying a brutal death. This is schizoid behaviour even if it had happened on only one planet. It therefore has to be wrong, it makes God look plain crazy.
    Here's a few to get you started:

“And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee” Matthew 9:2

“But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.” Matthew 9:22

“Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.” Matthew 15:28

“His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” Matthew 25:21

“And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way.” Mark 10:52

“And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.” Luke 7:50

“But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.” Luke 22:32

“Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.” John 20:27

“And Jesus answering said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you, and suffer you? Bring thy son hither.” Luke 9:41

Eagerly awaiting your response

Ok not a single one of these are an instruction from Jesus. When he gives instructions as to what people who would follow him are to do there is no mention of faith. It is all about the work. Even though the gospels we have come from the Pauline tradition and are biased towards it, the fact remains they are very clear that whoever wants to enter life must keep the commandments. They are the Law and cannot be ignored. Keeping the commandment to love your neighbour, for instance, requires works. Loving God requires works to demonstrate it. Soul Winner you can keep Paul and his phoney dogma of redemption by faith I'll stick with what Jesus says to do.

Wholeheartedly disagree. Love God, hate religion, thats how i feel anyway. Dogma is man putting itself in the way.

Without dogma there is no coherent Christian view of the scriptures. People are free to make it mean what they want.

Without dogma there is no coherent Christian view of the scriptures. People are free to make it mean what they want.

thats precisely the attitude i hate tbh. Its not necessary IMO. The moment you legislate, thats when you get men in silly hats and the like. The hierarchy forms, and before you know it you've got organised religion. yes its organised, but completely off the mark.
    Religion: 'Psst, i can sell you salvation'
    Jimitime: 'No thanks, yeshua gave it to me for free'.

• Advertisement

thats precisely the attitude i hate tbh. Its not necessary IMO. The moment you legislate, thats when you get men in silly hats and the like. The hierarchy forms, and before you know it you've got organised religion. yes its organised, but completely off the mark.
    Religion: 'Psst, i can sell you salvation'
    Jimitime: 'No thanks, yeshua gave it to me for free'.

There is meant to be a structure, tradition and organisation. As long as it's under check, and people have a Bible to read from, I don't think things can go so sour really. We know the stance you described is not Biblical.

There is meant to be a structure, tradition and organisation.
    No, there is meant to be Love. Everything else is secondary. Looking at what 'structure, organisation and trdition' has done, i think its quite clear that love was considered secondary.
    As long as it's under check, and people have a Bible to read from, I don't think things can go so sour really. We know the stance you described is not Biblical.

Of course you don't see it as biblical, you're an anglican. You're all about tradition and ritual. if you want to get biblical, then why do your 'religious leaders' wear uniforms? Why is it not local elders? Why does the 'eucharist' get presented in an image of the sun? Why do you indulge in pagan ritual at this time of year? Paul condemned folk for going back to the old customs of their cultures. He never suggested rebranding. Religious folk like to get biblical when it suits IMO.

Wear vestments you mean? That's inherited from Judaism. The priestly class of the Levites had to wear special garments when they were performing animal or grain sacrifices. To think they had to do that for mere animal sacrifices. Thus if we are performing a celebration of the most important and all complete sacrifices as not to defile it, one should wear the priestly garments. (Although I would admit they are quite different to the Jewish ones described in Exodus).

Image of the sun?

Actually Jesus' birth is predicted to be either near Sukkot (the Jewish festival), I read this on a site of Jewish Christians, or in the Advent period. Not so far off.

This is far from paganism, and you know it. Wearing the vestments is merely respecting the commemoration of the Eucharist. Which is a sacrament necessary for salvation. (one of the 2 sacraments in the Anglican faith).

This isn't rebranding, it's merely continuation.

Also love is definitely not considered secondary to Anglicans.

Wear vestments you mean? That's inherited from Judaism. The priestly class of the Levites had to wear special garments when they were performing animal or grain sacrifices. To think they had to do that for mere animal sacrifices. Thus if we are performing a celebration of the most important and all complete sacrifices as not to defile it, one should wear the priestly garments. (Although I would admit they are quite different to the Jewish ones described in Exodus).

Image of the sun?

Actually Jesus' birth is predicted to be either near Sukkot (the Jewish festival), I read this on a site of Jewish Christians, or in the Advent period. Not so far off.

This is far from paganism, and you know it. Wearing the vestments is merely respecting the commemoration of the Eucharist. Which is a sacrament necessary for salvation. (one of the 2 sacraments in the Anglican faith).

This isn't rebranding, it's merely continuation.

Also love is definitely not considered secondary to Anglicans.

Could you show me biblically where Jesus instructs us on vestments? or Paul even?

Could you show me where Jesus asks us to celebrate his birth? or even gives us the date of his birth? or early christians celebrating his birth? could you also show me where the early christians are bringing fir rees into their homes to decorate etc? Could you show me where Jesus or early christians say rebranding pagan customs dedicated to false gods is a method to be used? I know Paul condemned those for going back to such customs.

As I said, you like to get biblical when it suits.

Could you show me biblically where Jesus instructs us on vestments? or Paul even?

It originates from earlier than this. I think you should be asking yourself is why didn't Jesus or Paul condemn this practice which was widespread, if it wasn't appropriate to do so?
    JimiTime wrote:
    As I said, you like to get biblical when it suits.

This is Biblically based, if you wouldn't mind looking to Exodus that is.
    JimiTime wrote:
    Could you show me where Jesus asks us to celebrate his birth? or even gives us the date of his birth? or early christians celebrating his birth? could you also show me where the early christians are bringing fir rees into their homes to decorate etc? Could you show me where Jesus or early christians say rebranding pagan customs dedicated to false gods is a method to be used? I know Paul condemned those for going back to such customs.

I have to say that this really assumes that I don't think Christmas is corrupted in any shape or form. It's not commanded that we do so, neither is it commanded that we celebrate the Passion. By the birth and death of Jesus it's important to mark the beginnings and ends of his worldly work. At least this pagan festival is now dedicated to the true God if that is any constellation however I think it has to change in some respects myself. Particularly Santa Claus and focus being put more on Jesus. I don't have a problem with the festival itself however. The majority of Christians would regard it as the same.

As for the heirarchy argument, you do know that Paul discusses this in 1 Timothy?
    Just flicking over the headings: 1) "Qualifications of Bishops", 2) "Qualifications of Deacons", 3) "A Good Minister of Jesus Christ".

• Advertisement

It originates from earlier than this. I think you should be asking yourself is why didn't Jesus or Paul condemn this practice which was widespread, if it wasn't appropriate to do so?

TBH, its not of great importance, its just you said I was being 'non-biblical', when your own religion has 'non-biblcal' customs. Including your hierarchy. Jesus actually did condemn pharisees who wore their fancy garments to stand out. Something about the size of the frills?

This is Biblically based, if you wouldn't mind looking to Exodus that is.

So all your priests are levites? and they wear a breastplate with 12 precious stones on it? Come on. We are Christians not Jews. Do you eat pork? Our high priest is now Yeshua our Messiah. Why do you base your point on exodus, when Paul told us of our christian structure?

I have to say that this really assumes that I don't think Christmas is corrupted in any shape or form.
    It was never anything else! It was pagan in the beginning.
    It's not commanded that we do so,
    So its not biblical. My point exactly. You point the finger at me wrongly for 'not being biblical'. When really, being biblical is not of such great importance to you anyway. Your tradition is whats important.
    At least this pagan festival is now dedicated to the true God if that is any constellation
    Is it? Also, why is 'rebranding' not an option with Paul? He condems those who go back to pagan customs. He doesn't say, 'i tell you what, keep doing everything you do on saturnalia, but just call it christmas'. Its something that baffles me about most christians. they really don't see any issue with using pagan customs dedicated to pagan gods to worship God:confused: No matter what you say, it just never can sit right. In Jerimiah it talks about those decorating fir trees. it doesn't say lets rebrand it and stick an image of abraham on top. Anyway.
    I don't have a problem with the festival itself however. The majority of Christians would regard it as the same.

i know, thats what I find crazy.but back to your original accusation, its not biblical.

TBH, its not of great importance, its just you said I was being 'non-biblical', when your own religion has 'non-biblcal' customs. Including your hierarchy. Jesus actually did condemn pharisees who wore their fancy garments to stand out. Something about the size of the frills?

The purpose of the vestments is not so the priests stand out. The priests wear the vestments so that they honour the sacred role of the Eucharist in the church and respect the sacredness of the altar by which they carry out the process. As I said this is the same reason why the Jewish priestly class wore vestments in carrying out the sacrifices in the Tent of the Lord's Presence and ultimately the temple. Nothing about the size of the frills or standing out. For the third time (I think it's the third), I must say it is biblical.

JimiTime wrote:
    So all your priests are levites? and they wear a breastplate with 12 precious stones on it? Come on. We are Christians not Jews. Do you eat pork? Our high priest is now Yeshua our Messiah. Why do you base your point on exodus, when Paul told us of our christian structure?

No they aren't Levites of course not. They are most likely Gentile to the core. However the Lord called them to be priests. That is the purpose of the priesthood or why one becomes a priest. Do I eat pork? Personally no actually. That is true the high priest is Jesus, but that does not mean that we should still not wear vestments on the altar. He or anyone else did not speak against it, if he found the practise to be worthy to be spared reform in the New Covenant.
    JimiTime wrote:
    It was never anything else! It was pagan in the beginning.

So I guess you didn't celebrate it like the rest of us? It is actually accurate to say that Christ was born either near the Jewish festival of Sukkot, or the Advent period according to something I came across earlier:
    http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Articles/Christmas/christmas.html
    JimiTime wrote:
    So its not biblical. My point exactly. You point the finger at me wrongly for 'not being biblical'. When really, being biblical is not of such great importance to you anyway. Your tradition is whats important.

My tradition comes from the Bible. As you will know that all dogma has to be based on the Canonical books. (Not from the Deuterocanonical like the RC Church).
    JimiTime wrote:
    Is it? Also, why is 'rebranding' not an option with Paul? He condems those who go back to pagan customs. He doesn't say, 'i tell you what, keep doing everything you do on saturnalia, but just call it christmas'. Its something that baffles me about most christians. they really don't see any issue with using pagan customs dedicated to pagan gods to worship God:confused: No matter what you say, it just never can sit right. In Jerimiah it talks about those decorating fir trees. it doesn't say lets rebrand it and stick an image of abraham on top. Anyway.

Hm JimiTime, Paul discussed people who largely fell back to their own pagan ways, involving physically worshipping a false god, or eating meat that was sacrificed to an idol / false god. By reforming Christmas to what it is today, it actually gives us an appropriate time to worship God. Actually what do you think of other holy days for Easter, Pentecost, Ash Wednesday etc? Are they just rebranding too?
    JimiTime wrote:
    i know, thats what I find crazy.but back to your original accusation, its not biblical.

I don't find it crazy at all. It's an appropriate time to worship Jesus, and the Advent period allows for deep thought in the ways of Christ and it allows for self-examination to see if we are following the ways of Christ adequately. I think it's in fact necessary. It and Lent have been traditionally times of fasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

The purpose of the vestments is not so the priests stand out. The priests wear the vestments so that they honour the sacred role of the Eucharist in the church and respect the sacredness of the altar by which they carry out the process. As I said this is the same reason why the Jewish priestly class wore vestments in carrying out the sacrifices in the Tent of the Lord's Presence and ultimately the temple. Nothing about the size of the frills or standing out. For the third time (I think it's the third), I must say it is biblical.

I would disagree. The New Testament teaches the priesthood of all believers. To have a distinct clergy with a separate style of dress is, in my opinion, unbiblical. The clergy/laity distinction is a denial of New Testament teaching.

Paul clearly describes the way the church is to be run with bishops, deacons and priests in 1 Timothy.

Yes, anyone can become a priest should they be willing to undertake the training, and to be ordained in the church. It's not a distinction whatsoever, this man has been chosen by God to take care of a certain congregation of people and be their spiritual advisor. I believe that the Eucharist is a sacred act which is a sacrament necessary for salvation, do you not agree that it should be treated as such?

I'd like you to find me some verses which claim that priests should no wear vestments whatsoever in the New Testament. I think you will find that there is none.

Paul clearly describes the way the church is to be run with bishops, deacons and priests in 1 Timothy.

No, Paul speaks about elders in 1 Timothy ( the correct translation of presbuteros).

The Greek word for priest is hiereus, and in the New Testament it is applied to the Jewish levitical priesthood or to Jesus Christ. The only times it is applied to Christians is to the whole church as in Revelation 1:6 - it is never used to denote a separate class of clergy.

That still doesn't deal with the use of bishop.

Oh and if you disagree with the priests having a different role from the congregation, why weren't we all Apostles?

That still doesn't deal with the use of bishop.

Oh and if you disagree with the priests having a different role from the congregation, why weren't we all Apostles?

I don't disagree with people having different roles. Pastor, apostle, prophet, toilet cleaner, Sunday School teacher - these are all roles. None of them, however, justifies the idea of a separate priesthood.

As a pastor I exercise a different role from the person who hoovers the carpets in church - but we are both priests with direct access to God without any need for a mediator other than Jesus Christ. The clergy/laity division is unscriptural nonsense.

A 'bishop' is an overseer - a position of authority without any parallel in the Jewish priesthood system. It is only the unbiblical traditions of churches that make you think that a reference to a bishop has any relevance to a discussion about the priesthood. Biblically, the concepts of bishops and priests are entirely separate.

We are not all apostles because not everyone has the gifts of the apostle, just as not everyone is an evangelist, a prophet or a pastor. We are, however, all priests.

There is no indication at all in the New Testament of apostles or anyone else wearing a different kind of clothes to mark them out.

What do you mean a seperate priesthood. Anyone can be a priest should the be willing. Just as anyone can be a primary school teacher, or a toilet cleaner.
    PDN wrote:
    but we are both priests with direct access to God

That is not the point. Yes, you both have a relationship with God and anyone who is willing can have a relationship with God. The priest is responsible for the spiritual growth within a set time and commits himself to Christ at all times. S/he is there to help fellow Christians bear the load of Christian life.

You are totally missing the point here. Priests wear vestments as do the lay readers, to recognise the sanctity of the altar, and the sacredness of the Eucharist. It is not to distinguish them from anyone else.

The purpose of the vestments is not so the priests stand out. The priests wear the vestments so that they honour the sacred role of the Eucharist in the church and respect the sacredness of the altar by which they carry out the process.
    Ok, so there is a reason, I'm not disputing that. but its not biblical.
    As I said this is the same reason why the Jewish priestly class wore vestments in carrying out the sacrifices in the Tent of the Lord's Presence and ultimately the temple. Nothing about the size of the frills or standing out. For the third time (I think it's the third), I must say it is biblical.

You keep talking about the Jewish priests though. Yes its biblical that the levite priest wore vestements in carrying out his role, this does not move on to christianity though. The role of the high priest has been fulfilled in Christ, so drawing from the old Jewish way is irelevant. So once again, no its not biblical. Could you show me where Yeshua or Paul says that a ministers clothing should be a certain way etc? As I said though, I'm not saying its a huge deal, just that you are wrong to say that the anglican way is biblical.

No they aren't Levites of course not. They are most likely Gentile to the core.
    Then the vestements of Exodus are irrelevant.
    That is true the high priest is Jesus, but that does not mean that we should still not wear vestments on the altar. He or anyone else did not speak against it, if he found the practise to be worthy to be spared reform in the New Covenant.

Well the fact that he is the high priest means that the need for the old high priest role is no longer needed, so it goes without saying. Also, saying we were not told not to do something, does not mean to do it is 'biblical'. you may well argue that there is nothing in the bible that says not to do it, but it doesn't mean its biblical. Your arguement means you should have priests wearing trditional jewish vestments, and that they should be levite. Once you say that they shouldn't, then you are getting into non biblical ground. You agree that Jesus is our high priest, so you have already acknowledged that the high priest role has been fulfilled in him. To use the old way to justify the new is absurd, and non biblical.

So I guess you didn't celebrate it like the rest of us?
    No I didn't. Why would I?
    It is actually accurate to say that Christ was born either near the Jewish festival of Sukkot, or the Advent period according to something I came across earlier:
    http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Articles/Christmas/christmas.html

So what. he never asked us to celebrate his birth. He never saw it important enough to give us a date. He saw his death as important enough to put a date on. He also felt it important enough to tell us to 'keep doing this in rememberance of me' regarding the last supper. Never once do we see either him or any early christians celebrate his birth. so even if you do discover the exact date, its still contentious. All of this is even before we get into the pagan origins of all the ritual surrounding the festival.
    My tradition comes from the Bible.
    One Word, christmas.
    Hm JimiTime, Paul discussed people who largely fell back to their own pagan ways, involving physically worshipping a false god, or eating meat that was sacrificed to an idol / false god.
    Really? If I recall correctly he says in Romans about people falling back into their old customs. Now he never suggested rebranding as a solution.
    By reforming Christmas to what it is today, it actually gives us an appropriate time to worship God
    Worshipping God happens every day, or at least 'should'. Using lots of pagan ritual to do it is highly inappropriate IMO. When Moses saw the Hebrews with the golden calf, why did he not just rebrand? Why in jerimiah was the act of bringing the fir tree into ones home condemned, without a 'rebranding' solution?
    Actually what do you think of other holy days for Easter, Pentecost, Ash Wednesday etc? Are they just rebranding too?

Well Nisan 14 is the date of rememberance of Christs sacrifice for us. Even calling it easter is highly inappropriate. Ishtar, fertility god, eggs etc. Go to Czech Republic and you see the 'christians' carry out their ancient pagan tradition of men hitting women with sticks, and the the women give the men eggs. Seriously, the whole rebranding thing is awful IMO.
    I don't find it crazy at all. It's an appropriate time to worship Jesus, and the Advent period allows for deep thought in the ways of Christ and it allows for self-examination to see if we are following the ways of Christ adequately. I think it's in fact necessary. It and Lent have been traditionally times of fasting.

This is part of the craziness! 'Every' day is the appropriate time. 'Every' day we should be thinking of Christ and examining ourselves. Anything less, and there is a problem.

Had an interesting conversation with my brother the other night. i was saying about faith being an action word, and he made a very good point. If faith is an action word, then faith itself is a work. what do ye think?

• Advertisement

This is part of the craziness! 'Every' day is the appropriate time. 'Every' day we should be thinking of Christ and examining ourselves. Anything less, and there is a problem.

Of course I think about Christianity on a daily basis. However the time of Advent is useful as you are supposed to be preparing yourself spiritually for Christmas. The same applies to Lent before Easter (it is a good bit longer than Advent mind). Can't you see theres a logical pattern in the way the times of the Christian calendar fall?

Let me explain if you don't have an idea already:
    The Christian year starts with Advent, this is the preparation for Christmas etc. (Purple stole)
    Christmas day (White, for all things celebration, including baptisms, weddings etc)
    Epiphany starts on the 6th of January and runs right up until the Lenten season. (Green stole).
    Lent time of remembrance of Jesus' time in the desert (Matthew 4). Self-examination (purple).
    Holy Week (Red Stole for the bloodshed of Christ) - remembering the role of Christ in Jerusalem until the Passion.
    Easter Sunday (White celebrating the resurrection)
    Pentecost (red, for the tongues of fire on the disciples)
    Between Pentecost and Advent it is back to green.

Everything done has a pattern. It's not done for the sheer sake of it.

Had an interesting conversation with my brother the other night. i was saying about faith being an action word, and he made a very good point. If faith is an action word, then faith itself is a work. what do ye think?

Interesting. From faith comes works. I still hold that view. They both depend on eachother.

Advertisement