Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Preparation for the driving test

• 30-04-2012 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I looked back 3 pages and couldn't find a related thread.

So how does the MB full driver license test plan out?
    Like is the first 10 minutes is there like a theory questions, then after that do you drive? Or slow maneuver?
    And what catches out ppl?
    I don't know the question I should be asking, so just give an outline of how the test goes.
    Thanks very much I really really just want this done and over ( so the gendarmerie and the french can't bust me ;) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Fyyyaaa wrote: »
    I looked back 3 pages and couldn't find a related thread.

So how does the MB full driver license test plan out?
    Like is the first 10 minutes is there like a theory questions, then after that do you drive? Or slow maneuver?
    And what catches out ppl?
    I don't know the question I should be asking, so just give an outline of how the test goes.
    Thanks very much I really really just want this done and over ( so the gendarmerie and the french can't bust me ;) )

Good post, doing mine soon aswell. I think its theory, maneuvers, driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Do one lesson and all questions will be answered. Also all your bad habits will be highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

This was my experience from 2009.

The theory bit is first - answering questions on the rules of the road.

You then head to your bike, and the tester will ask you some questions about the bike (e.g. tyre pressures, demonstrate that the indicators work, etc etc).

After that, you'll be given a headset to wear for the road part of the test - the tester communicates with you via headset. Once ye're happy it works, it's onto the road for the rest of the test.

The test (about 20-25 mins) will include some manoeuvres - u-turn and emergency slow-down - all depends on the route and where the tester has decided that it's safe to do these manoeuvres. For my test, the u-turn was about half-way through (once we'd reached a particular housing estate) and the emergency slow-down was towards the end of the test.

After that, it's back to the test centre and good or bad news time!

Can't agree more with what defike said - get a pre-test lesson, in the area you plan to do the test. As well as ironing out bad habits, the instructors will be familiar with the routes used, so you can practice in the area you'll be tested (e.g. I knew the estate where the u-turns were done, so I practised on the very patch of road which helped!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i did mine last october in tennis, it was exactly as above, when you come out with the tester to the bike he will ask a few quick questions about the bike such as how do you check the chain/sprockets, tyre wear, he will then test all the lights etc and satisfy himself that the bike is in working order and restricted..

in my test i had 2 marks against me, both were for the same thing which was failure to give adequate signalling as on the first turn on the test my front indicator bulb blew and i continued for 2 more turn and had not noticed it, he stopped me half way and told me about it, but i had noticed it at that stage but was a bit pissed off. but in fairness to the guy he said that we will continue if i was happy to but i must now use hand signals when turning right...

i had done a few lessons with the legend that is moe garvey and she had explained exactly what to do if something like this happens, so thankfully i knew exactly what to do and didn't look like a complete idiot trying to signal right while moving which is impossible to do on a bike which is why you only do it when stationary...

they will ask you to do an emergency slow down, if you have gotten lessons before hand they explain exactly what you have to do here, which is accelerate usually from a stand to about 35-40 then on the testers instruction slow down to around 15 thats it, hard on the brakes keep the balance and don't shift up when accelerating so you don't have to shift down...

he will ask that you ride at walking pace next to him, keep the speed low, revs reasonably and control the bike with the clutch and rear brake simples...

another piece of advice is read up on your lifesavers as they will fail you if you show that you do not do them consistently, have a read up on when and how you are supposed to do them...

know your road signs and the theory off, watch your road position especially at junctions and above all else get at least one hour instruction the week before the test and try go to a local of the test centre of your test as they will have knowledge of routes etc, you may fail for silly bad habits that you don't even know you have, whereas an instructor will point the bad habit out and for the 35 mins during the test you will know to watch said habit(s), then pass and go back to doing your bad habits...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

1 thing to learn and understand is this word.....POWDER

P-Petrol...........(where is petrol tank)

O-Oil.............. (locate and check oil,if you have a bike with a dipstick))

W-Water..........(as in coolant)

D-Damage.........(inspect bike for any damage)

E-Electrics........(make sure all electrics work,lights,indicators,horn etc)

R-Rubber..........(tyres and inspecting them and their thread depth).

Minimum thread depth for a bike is 1mm.

• Advertisement

@Fyyyaaa...Why did you post such a stupid and bizzare comment and then delete it??

What was the point in posting about pleasuring your male motorbike "driver"?????:rolleyes:

And what in gods holy name has any of that deleted post got to do with this thread that you started?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

paddy147 wrote: »
    @Fyyyaaa...Why did you post such a stupid and bizzare comment and then delete it??

What was the point in posting about pleasuring your male motorbike "driver"?????:rolleyes:

And what in gods holy name has any of that deleted post got to do with this thread that you started?????

I deleted it.

It was pointless and off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fyyyaaa

Sorry about that, I did not write it.

Fyyyaaa wrote: »
    Sorry about that, I did not write it.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I have to look into this myself soon have been recommended to do pretest with Irish School of motoring, live southside Dublin knocklyon area where would the nearest test centre be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

Think there's a test centre in Tallaght that does bikes (not all test centres do bike tests).

Check out David Lyons for a pre-test, he is in that Sth Dublin area (no connection, but I've seen his name mentioned before and he comes highly recommended).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have my test this friday.. tbh i had kinda forgotten about it until a few days ago. I have no free time to get out on the bike from now until the day of the test which means i might be lucky and squeeze in a pretest on friday just before the test to find out everything i do awful and then try not do it awful a few hours later for the test.

Hmmmm something tells me im not prepared! lol

first off stop worrying/thinking about it as it will only build up your nerves,
    get a pre test hour done then have a sit and a coffee and think about what the instructor has told you, then during the test try to think about the little things that you were told you do wrong/incorrectly.

But all i will say is that in the next few days have a quick read of the rules of the road, and on the test it self watch your speed remember your lifesaver's and don't seem like you are in too much of a rush on the road, take your time and try to relax on the bike.

eurofoxy wrote: »
    get a pre test hour done then have a sit and a coffee and think about what the instructor has told you, then during the test try to think about the little things that you were told you do wrong/incorrectly.

But all i will say is that in the next few days have a quick read of the rules of the road, and on the test it self watch your speed remember your lifesaver's and don't seem like you are in too much of a rush on the road, take your time and try to relax on the bike.

Taking your time is hard to do when your driving a sv1000, lol

Yeah i will brush up on the rules of the road and i will know later if i can get in a pretest on the friday morning. Hopefully i can get the pretest, it will help a lot.

Ah i plan on taking it handy on the test. I will stay just below all the speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

goodlad wrote: »
    I have my test this friday.. tbh i had kinda forgotten about it until a few days ago. I have no free time to get out on the bike from now until the day of the test which means i might be lucky and squeeze in a pretest on friday just before the test to find out everything i do awful and then try not do it awful a few hours later for the test.

Hmmmm something tells me im not prepared! lol

You good for an L-Vest? Have one here I can loan you. Already 2 passes on it including myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Taking your time is hard to do when your driving a sv1000, lol

Yeah i will brush up on the rules of the road and i will know later if i can get in a pretest on the friday morning. Hopefully i can get the pretest, it will help a lot.

Ah i plan on taking it handy on the test. I will stay just below all the speed limits.

On a clear road you need to be doing slightly more than the speed limit or else you fail for progression, as by law all speedos under read. The tester will want to see you accelerate to the limit and maintain the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭rat_race

Del2005 wrote: »
    On a clear road you need to be doing slightly more than the speed limit or else you fail for progression, as by law all speedos under read. The tester will want to see you accelerate to the limit and maintain the speed.

I do agree, that a lot of peeps seem to think slower is safer/better and end up failing due to lack lack of progression.

But I'm not sure if that's good advice :D ... You need to be doing pretty close to the speed limit according to your speedometer. But "slightly over" is just asking for trouble, IMO...

A car's or a bike's true speed is never 100% accurate, as things like tyre pressure can affect it. There can be a margin of error either way, and the "over indication" by your speedometer accounts for this. That is, it can possibly indicate that you're going 33KMH when you're actually only going 30KMH, but it can never (by law, IIRC) report that you're going 30KMH when you're actally going 33KMH.

So a speedometer is usually either correct, or slightly over indicating. My point is, stick to the speed limit, it's the only way to be sure.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    You good for an L-Vest? Have one here I can loan you. Already 2 passes on it including myself!

Im grand, thanks for the offer though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rat_race wrote: »
    I do agree, that a lot of peeps seem to think slower is safer/better and end up failing due to lack lack of progression.

But I'm not sure if that's good advice :D ... You need to be doing pretty close to the speed limit according to your speedometer. But "slightly over" is just asking for trouble, IMO...

A car's or a bike's true speed is never 100% accurate, as things like tyre pressure can affect it. There can be a margin of error either way, and the "over indication" by your speedometer accounts for this. That is, it can possibly indicate that you're going 33KMH when you're actually only going 30KMH, but it can never (by law, IIRC) report that you're going 30KMH when you're actally going 33KMH.

Nope the new EU test has to be done at 50km/h, hence why the UK had the farcical need to do it off road as 50km/h is 32mph and you can't speed during the test!

If your speedo is showing 50 then you're doing 48 or 49. You need to be doing 51/52 to be sure to get to 50.
    So a speedometer is usually either correct, or slightly over indicating. My point is, stick to the speed limit, it's the only way to be sure.

Your speedo is never correct, it always under reads, the proper EU one isn't as easy to read as Wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭rat_race

Del2005 wrote: »
    Nope the new EU test has to be done at 50km/h, hence why the UK had the farcical need to do it off road as 50km/h is 32mph and you can't speed during the test!

If your speedo is showing 50 then you're doing 48 or 49. You need to be doing 51/52 to be sure to get to 50.

Your speedo is never correct, it always under reads, the proper EU one isn't as easy to read as Wiki.

Didn't realise things were a bit different for 2/3 wheeled vehicles. Off-road to go 50KMH? That's nuts! Anyway, I don't have time to read up on the EU test at the moment, but I'm guessing if an instructor over here expects you to do an exact speed somewhere, they'll tell you to go slightly over the speed according to your speedometer.

It's a bit ridiculous otherwise. How many know not to trust their speedometers? Not many! It's not something I've encountered anywhere as a "tip" to pass the test (I have my test on the 28th :D)...

Has anyone else failed for going (a true) 48KMH instead of (a true) 50KMH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

rat_race wrote: »
    Has anyone else failed for going (a true) 48KMH instead of (a true) 50KMH?

When I was doing a pre-test with David Lyons he told me to ride at 51-55kmh in 50kmh areas (Finglas). He said because the examiner is behind you in a car he'll only have you clocked slightly over 50, which they want to see .i.e Progress.

He said he had pupils who failed for riding at 45-49kmh, which is continious grade 2 mark due to lack of progress on the straight. If they were riding at 45 the examiner probably clocked them under it!

So if the speed limit is 50 then ride 51-55kmh!

Got my date its the 12th at 12:30 in waterford. Have to call my instructor and try sort out getting a pre lesson and using his bike for the test, also have a session the night before :D do all the testers use bikes? I head some use a car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Doylers wrote: »
    Got my date its the 12th at 12:30 in waterford. Have to call my instructor and try sort out getting a pre lesson and using his bike for the test, also have a session the night before :D do all the testers use bikes? I head some use a car

Best of luck in the test!

I've never heard of a tester using anything other than a car, so surpirsed to see you mention them out on bikes

Managed to get a pre-test organised for tomorrow at 12 and my test is at 3.
    At least whatever i get told i do arseways will be fresh in my mind for the test so i can try not do it.

RosieJoe wrote: »

I've never heard of a tester using anything other than a car, so surpirsed to see you mention them out on bikes

Well I assumed theyd be on a bike but only head of them in cars so thought some used bikes n some used cars. What are you meant to do if you lose the tester?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Doylers wrote: »
    RosieJoe wrote: »

Well I assumed theyd be on a bike but only head of them in cars so thought some used bikes n some used cars. What are you meant to do if you lose the tester?
    They'll let you know over the intercom and ask you to pull in so they can catch up

I had my test today. I passed it!! woop woop!! :D:D

I had my test today. I passed it!! woop woop!! :D:D

good lad yourself, how did it go? did you get any marks against?

good lad yourself, how did it go? did you get any marks against?

Yeah i got a few.
    I made an absolute sham of the U turn which almost got me a grade 3 which would of failed me.
    It was a really wide road in an estate that i shouldn't of had any issue doing the turn on but i just made a balls of it and locked the steering completely and had to stick a foot down.

I also got two road signs wrong.. well not wrong, i just had no idea wtf they meant. Twas a clearway and pedestrian area signs.

I also stopped on a pedestrian crossing. Its not very well marked out tbh, i stopped on it and then noticed after a few seconds and moved off it but sure i already got the mark against me for it.

I got another mark against me for lack of progression. Tbh i dont know where on the test i could of possibly gotten that but sure i didnt question it.

So all in all it wasnt too bad, but wasnt great. Good enough to pass though which is the main thing.

• Advertisement

the pass is the main thing...make sure you get your licence this week if you have not already as the 2 years starts from the date on the licence not the test...and if you have not yet informed your insurance company do it now as your might get a discount...
    something to keep in mind, when i passed my test i was told by the instructor i did my bit and pre test with that its a good idea that you do a course about 2 years after your pass, so just when the restriction is up.
    I passed my test last october and am scheduled to do an intermediate course in september this year, as i have some time off work then and want to give it a shot, keep it in mind and maybe next year think about it...

Advertisement