Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Meet-up. Anyone Interested?

• 22-02-2006 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Decided to start a new thread as I think this is getting lost in the "Linux Use In Dublin" thread.

Right following up on Psicic's brainwave re using the Ilac library I rang them to see what the story is.

I was told by a Cathy McKenna that all we have to do is email her what the meeting is about (easy enough) and what date we'd like to hold it on. I presume if the date we select is booked out she'll suggest another.

So anyone interested in meeting up? Suggest a date here.

Opening hours are:
    Mon - Thurs: 10-8pm
    Fri & Sat: 10-5pm

If we get this going what do ppl want out of Linux User Group?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I'd be interested if its newb friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Thats the whole idea. So what would you want out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

I am a bit of a noob but like if something was organised I would go for the laugh. It would just be more of a social thing to meet people with similar interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

im in if its on a luas line because i get lost real easy

The Ilac Mall can be accessed from Henry St, Moore St or Parnell St all near the Luas line. Get off at Abbey St or Store St and you'll be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

AFAIK ilug meet up regularly I'm sure everyone from boards would be welcome.

ilug@linux.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I'd be interested. I'd like to hang out with a few nerds for a while. Ilac library sounds fine. Public libraries and free software/open source have a lot of philosophical similarities. :)

AFAIK ILUG have the occasional meet up. Regular would be a stretch IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Just thought I’d post (again!!) to say I’m up for the meet anytime – apart from Saturday, March 4th (Big Bike Show in RDS:D ).

A Saturday would be good for the first meeting – I suggest March 11th - so people can get schedules in order, won’t feel rushed if they don’t know where Ilac Centre is or have a long way to come or whatever.

(I think a weekday might be good for a regular meet-up – just have this first one(plus any Installfests or Open Groups) on a Saturday. That way folks after work/college can come and ‘tech-it-up’ mid-week for about an hour and then go out for food/drink afterwards in a nice relaxed atmosphere. It means people won't have to lose an Saturday fighting traffic coming into town, choose between the group and spending time with their family or whatever. Things like this should be discussed at first meeting.)

In my opinion the purpose of this first meeting should basically be fact-finding.

People who want a say in the formation of the LUG – who have a specific idea(or even a very vague impression of one! :) ) that they want to get something out of the group, should come (And post here so jaqian knows people are still interested!!!)

There should be an agenda set out for this first meeting, and I think we'll find several 'sub-groups' with specific interests (beginners Beowulf Clustering, anyone? ;) ) and levels of skill - so EVERYONE that's remotely interested should come to the first meeting. That means people who have yet to install Linux and are interested, people who have been hacking the Kernel for years, people who just want to get to grips with the GUI environment, people who want to script from the command line etc...

We'd have a good whack to talk about and there’s so much potential for a bit of hacker/geek related fun that isn’t stuck up it’s own h@le – you know you’ve always wanted a group like this, folks. Come on...post here. Motivate jaqian and Karoma and the others... put your manhood where your mouth is :eek: ....um...I mean, show your support!!!

Psicic for President! ;)

jaqian wrote:
    Psicic for President! ;)

Oy! It's 'Grand High Poombah and Lord of the Flab' if you don't mind...:D

• Advertisement

jaqian wrote:
    Psicic for President! ;)
    I believe the correst Linux term is Benevolent Dictator for Life.

Syth wrote:
    I believe the correst Linux term is Benevolent Dictator for Life.

Oooooooh! :D Linus has had legs broken for less...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jaqian wrote:
    The Ilac Mall can be accessed from Henry St, Moore St or Parnell St all near the Luas line. Get off at Abbey St or Store St and you'll be sorted.

Get off at the first stop in Abbey Street (on route into city centre) and you'll be close. Walk on, then turn left into Liffey Street. Get off in Store Street and you're well lost.

If you're on the 'other' Luas, walk down Grafton Street, over O'Connell Bridge (shudder!), up O'Connell Street, past GPO, turn left into Henry Street, 2nd right into Moore Street (want some ripe fruit?), enter ILAC half way along on left. Library is up stairs on right after first junction.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Hey, im in, semi-noob, been using Linux/Unix for bout a year, but havent actually hacked it that much, am a third comp sci. student in UCD, i know i could probably have gotten a room, but i was a bit slow in reading the other thread!:rolleyes:

Hey Blowfish that would be great if you can get it. Is it easy enough to get?

What do ppl think of Saturday 25th March for our first meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

jaqian wrote:
    Thats the whole idea. So what would you want out of it?

Mainly help getting ubuntu up and running on my laptop. that date would suit alright

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Seeing as I got a PM and all ;) .....

I /think/ I'm free for that date, but I can't commit for sure until I check with my social diary (wife :)).

I'm over the noob hump at this point. Currently using ubuntu as my development platform in my new job. 5.10 is a major improvement over 5.04 methinks.

i havent actually got a room b4, but i know ppl who have, so ill talk 2 them, plus theres a lecturer here who definitely wud help ( he currently is trying 2 organise a european OpenBSD codathon to be organized, and wants it here:D ), ill let u kno what happens.

Khannie wrote:

I /think/ I'm free for that date, but I can't commit for sure until I check with my social diary (wife :)).

That's amazing you've the same social diary as myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Id love to be there but i cant make that weekend i will be at the next one have just been pre-booked that weekend.

Real sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ah didn't see this thread. Will have to remember when its on this time.

wes wrote:
    Ah didn't see this thread. Will have to remember when its on this time.

Great. So the pm was worth it then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yes, I'd be interested - although I'm not sure about the date. Will have to check social diary (g/f) :) too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I might be interested in attending this meeting. Been contemplating using linux on my laptop for sometime now, maybe even on my main pc. Tbh, i cant see it replacing windows for me but its more something id like to be able to work with.

I'm easy with dates, as long as i dont have to go home on given weekend (Not bound to a social diary at the min :P )

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Sounds good.. again like the others though I'd have to check the date with the other half and see what happens. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

The 25th sounds good to me also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

I'm remotely interested in coming to one of these un-official LUG meetings, assuming there is one on the 25th sometime (preferably after lunch in the early afternoon 2-3pm)

Blowfish wrote:
    i havent actually got a room b4, but i know ppl who have, so ill talk 2 them, plus theres a lecturer here who definitely wud help ( he currently is trying 2 organise a european OpenBSD codathon to be organized, and wants it here:D ), ill let u kno what happens.
    :) I know the guy you're talking about.

I'm a final year UCD Computer science student and since I'm on UCD's NetSoc committtee, I could help with booking a room in UCD. This falls under the remit of the internet society. :)

• Advertisement

great stuff, was goin 2 ask Netsoc committee guys 2 come anyway, and hopefully you can mail all the members.

Advertisement