Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Motorhome / Conversion, VRT and You.

• 01-06-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

OK, so as a result of my experience with the VRT and re-classification fiasco with the new ways of doing this and that, plus people are always asking about it I though that I'd post a guide to what to do on here for everyone.

Maybe this can be sticked for a while

There are three reasons why you will need to pay VRT on a Motorhome or a Conversion:
    1. Importing:
      If you import a Motorhome from another country, VRT will be due to the revenue for it.
    2. New Purchase:
      If you buy a new Motorhome, you will have to pay VRT. (Not really an issue here, as VRT is always built into the sale price at dealerships)
    3. Re-Classifying a Conversion: If you convert a panel van or similar to a Motorhome, you will need to pay the VRT due on the van to the revenue before it will be classed as a Motorhome, and be elligible for the MH tax rate of €88 per year.

For the purposes of this post, I won't bother with point 2, as its a non issue.

Regardless of the size, shape or weight of the van you are importing / converting, VRT will be charged at 13.5% of the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price) of the vehicle. The OMSP of the MH will be decided by the officer who is dealing with you're case, and they generally have a scout around and see what similar vans are priced at.

I'll go with a post per topic on this, so that its not one massive post on its own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Importing:

Ok, so you've bought you're lovely MH at what you think is a great price in the UK or Germany or somewhere and are driving it home... wonderful isn't it..... until you get the VRT bill :(

When you get home, you will need to import the MH into Ireland in order to get it on Irish plates and get an Irish VLC. If you buy it in the UK privately, then the seller will post you're details off to the DVLA, who will forward them to you telling you that you will need to deal with this in Ireland.

Alternatively, you can get the V5 doc from the vendor at the time of the sale. They only have to fill a small section marked for permanent export, and you take the rest of v5 with you so you won't have to deal with the DVLA at all.

Contact the NCTS and make an appointment for a VRT inspection. You will need to bring the following with you:
    1. Declaration Form for the Registration of a used Vehicle/ Motorcycle. Print this off and fill it in, although it is fairly self explanatory. C02 Emissions are not relevent here, as it is not used for Class M vehicles in deciding tax or VRT. Anyway, pre 2001 (I think) vehicles don't have this documented in the log books.
    2. Evidence of previous registration e.g. foreign certificate of registration, a certificate of permanent exportation or a certificate of de-registration, as appropriate (this document will be retained by NCTS so please ensure you make a copy of it before you go to the test centre). ie, the previous Log Book. You will get this either of the Seller, or it will be posted to you.
    3. Invoice which must have the date of purchase/sale clearly indicated. This can be something as simple as a piece of paper with a date and a figure and so on written on it, nothing more.
    4. Documentation verifying the new registered owner’s name and address (Utility Bill, Bank Statement, please note original documentation will only be accepted and must be no older than 6 months)
    5. Personal Public Service (PPS) Number of the person in whose name the vehicle shall be registered to (Official documentation will only be accepted i.e Social Services Card, P60)
    6. For vehicles imported from Northern Ireland, where the invoice is dated more that 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration, details of where the vehicle was stored. For vehicles purchased in the EU, we require shipping details to confirm the date of arrival of the vehicle in the state. For vehicles outside the EU, we require the single administrative number and the date it was issued by customs at the point of entry to the EU.

The NCTS will then inspect the vehicle, to make sure that it is what you are saying it is etc...... Word to the wise. Just make sure that they put the correct chassis numbers and engine numbers down. They have left out the half of my chassis number and I'll need to get it amended again at some stage.

They'll look it up on the computer, and tell you what the VRT is, but chances are they'll tell you that they can't find a valuation for the van and they'll have to give you a ring to let you know. They will do so, tell you the figure and you pop down to the NCTS and pay. Once done, they'll give you the new reg and an import recipt. Bob's yer uncle and you'll get you're VLC out in the post once the van is taxed at the tax office.

Re-Classifying a Conversion:

Ok, so you've spent months and months hard slog working away on a Van converting it to a Motorhome. Now you're pride and joy is finished you want to have it re-classified as a Motorhome for the tax rate and also less hassle for actually getting tax.

First things first. You will need to download and fill in Revenue's Declaration of Conversion by Vehicle Owner form.

It is very important that you fill this form in completely, as revenue will have no qualms in bouncing you're application straight back to you with very little help as to why.
    Things you need to know about this form:
    If you have the C02 emissions on you're VLC, put them in. If its pre 2001, put in 999.
    There is a table for Conversion details.(below)
    box.jpeg

You need to fill in the fields for Original and Converted
    EU Vehicle Category: For Original, this would be N1 if it was a panel van with a GVW <3500KG. You cannot re-classify anything bigger, according to their form. For Converted, it would be M1

No. of seats and seatbelt fittings are self explanatory

EU Bodywork: For Original, it would be BB (Van Lorry) and for Converted it will be SA

Mass In Service: This is the unladen weight of the van including its driver before and after conversion. After my conversion my van was 2600KG, and I didn't know what the original was, so I guessed at 1900KG, it being a Transit 190L. You will need to have the van weighed at a recognized weigh bridge, and send them a copy of the ticket. Cold Chon are one of these, but you're local tax office will tell you the nearest one.

Windows and doors are self explanatory

Technically Permissible Maximum Laden Mass: Basically, the GVW which is usually 3500KG. Its only needed once as this doesn't change.

Sign and date the form

The Van will also need to be inspected by a suitably qualified individual. Its documented in the form, but in fairness its easier to just have it done at an NSAI approved garage. You can get the list of these garages here.

Its worth calling in to them first and checking this out, as it could be news to them. This process is only recent and the revenue has not made it entirely clear that they should be doing this service, so there might be some head scratching. They will also charge for this, but its only a 5 minute exam to say that its definitely not a van anymore.

When the garage completes the form, they will need to stamp it, and it will need to be done on headed paper. If these two things are not done, it will be returned to you.

Take about ten photos of the van. Once from each side outside, and the four inside walls of it too, ensuring that you include the sink / cooker in one of the photographs.

Send all of this together, including you're VLC in an envelope to:

Revenue Commissioners,
    Central Vehicle Office
    Rosslare Harbour
    Co. Wexford.

It may take a week or two, but they will write back to you from you're local revenue office, telling you the VRT they decide that is applicable to you. Pop into the local revenue office with this, pay the fee and they'll give you a receipt.

You can appeal the amount of VRT they have charged, but only in writing after it has been paid.

In a couple of days, the Revenue will write a letter to you saying that they have been informed to write to you by Shannon, blah blah, and to bring the letter to the tax office so you can tax the van. Chances are, you'll need to explain the situation to the tax office in detail as it'll still show as a van on their system, but they can change it there and then.

You also are not currently required to have a DOE certificate to tax the camper, no matter what they say. If you look at the back of the form, it talks about the classes of vehicles that require one, and its not listed. Don't get snotty though, that won't help.....

And you're done. Van is taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MANU16

[how much do nsai charge i was quoted 300 to 350 plus vat by an assessor
    B][/B]
    Re-Classifying a Conversion:

Ok, so you've spent months and months hard slog working away on a Van converting it to a Motorhome. Now you're pride and joy is finished you want to have it re-classified as a Motorhome for the tax rate and also less hassle for actually getting tax.

First things first. You will need to download and fill in Revenue's Declaration of Conversion by Vehicle Owner form.

It is very important that you fill this form in completely, as revenue will have no qualms in bouncing you're application straight back to you with very little help as to why.
    Things you need to know about this form:
    If you have the C02 emissions on you're VLC, put them in. If its pre 2001, put in 999.
    There is a table for Conversion details.(below)
    box.jpeg

You need to fill in the fields for Original and Converted
    EU Vehicle Category: For Original, this would be N1 if it was a panel van with a GVW <3500KG. You cannot re-classify anything bigger, according to their form. For Converted, it would be M1

No. of seats and seatbelt fittings are self explanatory

EU Bodywork: For Original, it would be BB (Van Lorry) and for Converted it will be SA

Mass In Service: This is the unladen weight of the van including its driver before and after conversion. After my conversion my van was 2600KG, and I didn't know what the original was, so I guessed at 1900KG, it being a Transit 190L. You will need to have the van weighed at a recognized weigh bridge, and send them a copy of the ticket. Cold Chon are one of these, but you're local tax office will tell you the nearest one.

Windows and doors are self explanatory

Technically Permissible Maximum Laden Mass: Basically, the GVW which is usually 3500KG. Its only needed once as this doesn't change.

Sign and date the form

The Van will also need to be inspected by a suitably qualified individual. Its documented in the form, but in fairness its easier to just have it done at an NSAI approved garage. You can get the list of these garages here.

Its worth calling in to them first and checking this out, as it could be news to them. This process is only recent and the revenue has not made it entirely clear that they should be doing this service, so there might be some head scratching. They will also charge for this, but its only a 5 minute exam to say that its definitely not a van anymore.

When the garage completes the form, they will need to stamp it, and it will need to be done on headed paper. If these two things are not done, it will be returned to you.

Take about ten photos of the van. Once from each side outside, and the four inside walls of it too, ensuring that you include the sink / cooker in one of the photographs.

Send all of this together, including you're VLC in an envelope to:

Revenue Commissioners,
    Central Vehicle Office
    Rosslare Harbour
    Co. Wexford.

It may take a week or two, but they will write back to you from you're local revenue office, telling you the VRT they decide that is applicable to you. Pop into the local revenue office with this, pay the fee and they'll give you a receipt.

You can appeal the amount of VRT they have charged, but only in writing after it has been paid.

In a couple of days, the Revenue will write a letter to you saying that they have been informed to write to you by Shannon, blah blah, and to bring the letter to the tax office so you can tax the van. Chances are, you'll need to explain the situation to the tax office in detail as it'll still show as a van on their system, but they can change it there and then.

You also are not currently required to have a DOE certificate to tax the camper, no matter what they say. If you look at the back of the form, it talks about the classes of vehicles that require one, and its not listed. Don't get snotty though, that won't help.....

And you're done. Van is taxed.

MANU16 wrote: »
    how much do nsai charge i was quoted 300 to 350 plus vat by an assessor.

To sign and stamp a form and print of a letter on headed paper?

Daylight robbery.

Cost me €25 if I recall.

Now an engineers report is a different story..... but its not relevant for a re-classifying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

our of curiosity fingers, how much was your vrt?

• Advertisement

€665, valuing the van at just around €5K. Only paid €615 as I had already paid €50 to clear it previously, so they deducted that. I was quite surprised that they did that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Happy Harry 55

Fair play to you, we're currently considering buying a van & converting it. Your post on how to have the van re-classifed is great Thanks & happy motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Can I add something,

If you import from outside the eu, you have to pay 10% duty and 21% VAT, there figures are based on the landed cost of camper so includes shipping e.g,

Purchase Price = 5000
    Shipping Cost = 1000
    Landed cost = 6000
    Duty = 600

Cost for Vat = 6600
    Vat = 1386

Tax = 1986

Then you get tempory plates from Customs then you pay VRT as normal

To sign and stamp a form and print of a letter on headed paper?

Daylight robbery.

Cost me €25 if I recall.

Now an engineers report is a different story..... but its not relevant for a re-classifying....

Your info is brilliant, will the people in rosslare return my taxbook with their quote
    for vrt or do they hold it till vrt is paid ,also do i have to send receipts for van purchase and conversion parts
    got quote today from nsai garage 100 eoro plus vat so i rang around other nsai garage they said they still waiting on revenue directive on what they should check

Your info is brilliant, will the people in rosslare return my taxbook with their quote
    for vrt or do they hold it till vrt is paid ,also do i have to send receipts for van purchase and conversion parts
    got quote today from nsai garage 100 eoro plus vat so i rang around other nsai garage they said they still waiting on revenue directive on what they should check

• Advertisement

MANU16 wrote: »

I can't tell you 100% if they'll return the log book to you before you pay the VRT, but i doubt it. I had no VLC at the time of my re-classification. You will only get a VLC back once you have paid the VRT and have taxed the vehicle as a motorcaravan. That'll trigger the VLC afaik.

You don't need receipts for anything for this, as it will be certified as being a campervan by an NSAI approved garage.

€100 + VAT for an engineers report maybe, but other than that its robbery. They basically just need to have a look inside the van and see that its no longer a commercial vehicle. Its a 5 minute job.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Hi Fingers,

in your case the revenue deducted the €50 vrt that you had already paid on the van.
    Do you know if that is there policy ? Will they deduct the amount of vrt that was paid originally on a vehicle from the amount of VRT due as a result of the camper conversion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Hi Fingers,

in your case the revenue deducted the €50 vrt that you had already paid on the van.
    Do you know if that is there policy ? Will they deduct the amount of vrt that was paid originally on a vehicle from the amount of VRT due as a result of the camper conversion ?

Yep, any vrt previously paid is offset

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Is it possible to get a large vehicle ie. a truck reclassified as a camper?? We're thinking of converting one but it's gross weight is over 6 ton.

PaddyP,

thanks for that. How do you think that would go with a conversion on a Caravelle or something similar where the original vrt would have been paid at the private car rate ? Another example would be a small minibus maybe.

Lets say that revenue calculated that as a converted camper it was now liable for €1,000 vrt based on it's OMSP, would they then offset the vrt that was paid on the vehicle originally ?

unfit2006 wrote: »
    PaddyP,

thanks for that. How do you think that would go with a conversion on a Caravelle or something similar where the original vrt would have been paid at the private car rate ? Another example would be a small minibus maybe.

Lets say that revenue calculated that as a converted camper it was now liable for €1,000 vrt based on it's OMSP, would they then offset the vrt that was paid on the vehicle originally ?

If you have imported a vehicle, paid commercial or private VRT and re-classified it, then what you have already paid will be offset. EG, my VRT was €660, but I only paid €610 as I had already paid the €50. Not sure what the story with a vehicle that was first regged in Ireland though
    cian1500ww wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a large vehicle ie. a truck reclassified as a camper?? We're thinking of converting one but it's gross weight is over 6 ton.

Re-classifying it should be ok, but read the form I have linked to about re-classifying, its in there. If its a HGV you are re-classifying you may have issues with insurance though, so you might want to check that out first.

If you have imported a vehicle, paid commercial or private VRT and re-classified it, then what you have already paid will be offset. EG, my VRT was €660, but I only paid €610 as I had already paid the €50. Not sure what the story with a vehicle that was first regged in Ireland though

Any other opinions on this ?

Does it apply only in the case where the van was imported into Ireland as a used vehicle by it's current owner ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paddymul

any idea what the situation is with a conversion that is already taxed as a camper for the past 6 years but where there as been no vrt paid.

paddymul wrote: »
    any idea what the situation is with a conversion that is already taxed as a camper for the past 6 years but where there as been no vrt paid.

You take you're chances when you go to tax it again then, basically. They can refuse to tax it for you as a motorhome when its listed as a commercial vehicle on the RF101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paddymul

its down as a motor caravan onthe RF101 sowhere does that leave me I wonder

• Advertisement

If its a motorcaravan on the RF101 then it's already been re-classified. no need to worry about VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

paddymul wrote: »
    its down as a motor caravan onthe RF101 sowhere does that leave me I wonder

If its down as motor caravan I can't see the tax office arguing with taxing it at camper rate, maybe you need to go to another tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sam.b

Hello, inspired by this this thread (and the removal of the 1.8m rule). I finished my conversion and I headed down to my local NAIS garage with my form in hand completed as per your instructions above.

The SQI there wanted to complete this part of the form too though, so provided another copy which I only signed. His versions states N1 converted to N1 ( not m1)..Does this matter? Is N1 a camper too? He said changing to M1 means I would have to pay or private road tax?

P.s its a VW transporter panel van at the moment, also it cost me 100 yoyo and he laminated both forms after stamping them.

sam.b wrote: »
    Hello, inspired by this this thread (and the removal of the 1.8m rule). I finished my conversion and I headed down to my local NAIS garage with my form in hand completed as per your instructions above.

The SQI there wanted to complete this part of the form too though, so provided another copy which I only signed. His versions states N1 converted to N1 ( not m1)..Does this matter? Is N1 a camper too? He said changing to M1 means I would have to pay or private road tax?

P.s its a VW transporter panel van at the moment, also it cost me 100 yoyo and he laminated both forms after stamping them.

Ye it matters. Very much so. He doesn't have a bulls notion as to what he's talking about. N1 to N1 is not a re-classification. They will return the form to you.

Private tax my arse. He's thinking of N1 as a commercial vehicle for tax purposes, but you will not be taxing you're vehicle as privately either, it will be a Motorcaravan, which is different again.

On page 2 of the reclassification form, it states that:
    To be deemed a motor caravan for vehicle registration purposes, a vehicle must be an EU Category M1, M2 or M3 vehicle with a bodytype SA

Fill the form out yourself, and only ask him to sign and stamp the form, and a certificate on headed paper. Rosslare will not process the form with a reclassification from N1 to N1

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sam.b

Damn..thought that was dodgy.. What about number of seats, I had from 3 to 5 (as the bed is 2 seats), and belts 3-5 as well

sam.b wrote: »
    Damn..thought that was dodgy.. What about number of seats, I had from 3 to 5 (as the bed is 2 seats), and belts 3-5 as well

Just put in what you have done with it. If you've 5 seats and 5 belts, then that's what I'd put in......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr Craggy

Thank you for the most useful info I can now fill the form in and get my van registered as a camper. More help than I got from the "jobs worth" at the Revenue Commission.
    Thanks again Mr Craggy:

If you read this post, its clearly explained. To be re-classified as a campervan, the Original EU bodywork needs to be down as BB, and the new bodywork type needs to be SA. It doesn't matter what SA means, it just needs to be on the form as SA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 driadaifni

thank You for answer, in registration certificate my chevy stand as MINIBUS, not BB (van Lorry)

• Advertisement

Then perhaps M1 AF (Multi purpose vehicle)

Advertisement