Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy Type-0

• 18-01-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

PPuuA.png
    So now that Final Fantasy XIII-2 has been officially announced I figure we need a thread about all the up and coming news.

All we know so far is that it's a '2011' title for Japan, coming to PS3 and 360. Final Fantasy XIII's director, Motomu Toriyama, is back as director for this game. I'm sure many of you won't be surprised about the release of this game considering that apparently a lot of content from XIII was left on the cutting room floor. (That and S-E, like any company, likes your money!)

Official site. Trailer available 20/1/11. (Leaked trailer link - warning FFXIII ending spoilers lol.)

6b8pl.jpg
    Final Fantasy Agito XIII is now Final Fantasy Type-0, coming this summer in Japan on 2 (!) UMDs. As S-E have trademarked Type-1, Type-2 etc it's possible that this game is the first in a new FF spin off. (Edit: The game director, Tabata, confirmed that this is the first game in a potential series of games.) Remember, FF spin-offs are often quite good (FF Tactics for example).

Tabata has said that he has been influenced by Romance of the 3 Kingdoms for this game, and it will be a dark game about war. It may be the first mature rated Final Fantasy title apparently.

Official site. Trailer available 27/1/11. (Leaked trailer link)

Let the bitching commence!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Actually I'm pretty hyped for XIII-2. Not looking forward to seeing hope and snow again though. There's been some pretty good stuff from SE recently. Wasn't planning to get Tactics Ogre but the limited edition with the artbook has convinced me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I think that Lightning was a very strong character, even just when you consider her art style. I would like to see many of the bit players in FF XIII having a bigger role in this game. People like Rygdea
    if he's still alive that is.

The trailer apparently shows some new male character with purple hair, but I've heard conflicting stories about whether he is the antagonist or a new protagonist.

I think that they created a fantastic world with FFXIII with a fantastic lore, so let's hope they put it to better use this time! Battle system can remain as is for all I care, but of course any refinements or improvements are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Unless they feel like getting rid of the battle system and intro some decent characters I'll be giving it a skip(the only one since 5)

Here's a leak of the FFversus XIII trailer. Impressive CGI, but wait til you get to the gameplay. That's an ACTION RPG if I ever saw one, wow. Can't wait to see the trailer in HD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FF13 versus seems to be turning into japans duke nukem forever. Until I see some gameplay I'm not making any comments. FF13-2 just better not be Fang, Lightning and Vanille fan service.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FF13 versus seems to be turning into japans duke nukem forever. Until I see some gameplay I'm not making any comments. FF13-2 just better not be Fang, Lightning and Vanille fan service.
    :eek::eek:they have fans??:eek::eek:

Did you watch the trailer? There's a good 4 minutes of gameplay there, and it looks insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Versus trailer is intriguing alright, possibility it won't be a disaster! I wish they weren't branding things as FFXIII related though: it automatically fills me with pessimism! But the combat system looks dynamic and fun, so let's wait and see if it ever actually gets out.

FFXIII-2 though? They can **** right off in my book :pac:

FF13-2 just better not be Fang, Lightning and Vanille fan service.

I'd be fine with this.

The Versus trailer is intriguing alright, possibility it won't be a disaster! I wish they weren't branding things as FFXIII related though: it automatically fills me with pessimism! But the combat system looks dynamic and fun, so let's wait and see if it ever actually gets out.
    Seeing as how they renamed AgitoXIII to Type 0 I suppose it's possible they would rename Versus XIII? However I don't think they will, it relies heavily upon the mythos of the Fal'Cie etc of FFXIII as a 'Fabula Nova Crystallis' game. Plus as an action RPG I guess they couldn't make it FFXV, as even more purists would complain about that than FFXIII I would think. If XIII-2 is poorly received they may have to change the name though if people automatically think poorly of anything XIII related from then on.

Apparently Famitsu's website crashed when the trailer for VersusXIII came on so it would seem there is a lot of interest for the game. I think it is deserved. Setting a Final Fantasy game in a modern day type era seems interesting to me. I just hope it plays as well as it looks.

• Advertisement

GothPunk wrote: »
    Seeing as how they renamed AgitoXIII to Type 0 I suppose it's possible they would rename Versus XIII? However I don't think they will, it relies heavily upon the mythos of the Fal'Cie etc of FFXIII as a 'Fabula Nova Crystallis' game. Plus as an action RPG I guess they couldn't make it FFXV, as even more purists would complain about that than FFXIII I would think. If XIII-2 is poorly received they may have to change the name though if people automatically think poorly of anything XIII related from then on.

Apparently Famitsu's website crashed when the trailer for VersusXIII came on so it would seem there is a lot of interest for the game. I think it is deserved. Setting a Final Fantasy game in a modern day type era seems interesting to me. I just hope it plays as well as it looks.
    To be fair Final Fantasy always has had one saving grace for it, no game is the same as the last, fans no this, so even though 13 was the most useless game that if it wasn't final fantasy I'd never buy that series again, with the sequel the game will be majorily different from the last and therefore might actually be acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

When I saw this news appear, I honestly thought it was a joke.

Was FFXIII actually successful?

There have been many discussions about "Square has lost it's way / JRPG's dieing / Change Needed" and this is what they do!

Maybe now that the game engine is complete, the cost of a sequel will be very low and they see a chance for some decent profits.

When I saw this news appear, I honestly thought it was a joke.

There have been many discussions about "Square has lost it's way / JRPG's dieing / Change Needed" and this is what they do!

Maybe now that the game engine is complete, the cost of a sequel will be very low and they see a chance for some decent profits.
    It was successful in the most important way...It sold alot. It was not successful in the way that alot of fans hated it and had alot of tradebacks. I know when I traded mine back a week after getting it(release day) I was only offered 28e from it's original 55e iirc

Yeah I'm kinda annoyed that I paid full price for XIII considering it took me until august to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

It was successful in the most important way...It sold alot. It was not successful in the way that alot of fans hated it and had alot of tradebacks. I know when I traded mine back a week after getting it(release day) I was only offered 28e from it's original 55e iirc

Myself and 3 mates all bought it when it was released and only one of us lasted more than 10 hours on it. And even he hated it. I can guarantee that none of us will be buying the new one,

It sold 6 million copies, so yes, very successful. The game has many fans, they just get drowned out by the very vocal FFXIII haters.
    Yep! This must be why there was no FFXIII DLC, and they did say when FFXIII was finished that there was a lot of content cut from the game, almost enough to make a new game, so I would imagine that's why the game is due out so soon.

People love to hate Square Enix. Sure their games have characters often focus tested to banality, but as Raze_them_all points out, at least they always try something new or at least attempt to. Every FF game has it's naysayers, and then years later a large sector will come out saying how great FFx or FFy was. That's what happens when games have crazy levels of hype - the higher you build them up the harder they fall I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll check the trailers when I get home. I'd say production of FF13-2 started straight after FF13.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Isn't 28e alot to be offered as a trade in?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I wasnt crazy about XIII as i was about some of the older titles...but have to say i almost wet myself when i seen lighting in her new get up!!!!

Kinda reminded me of bleach a little, might of been the music.

carbonkid wrote: »
    Kinda reminded me of bleach a little, might of been the music.
    Well she didn't get her arm chopped off... yet! Perhaps it was the way the heavy metal guitar kind of fades on suddenly as they clash swords?

How come no one cares about Final Fantasy Type-0? The trailer paints a fantastic impression.

• Advertisement

The trailer does seem interesting. I didn't bother to watch it at first because I assumed it was a monster hunter clone.

carbonkid wrote: »
    Isn't 28e alot to be offered as a trade in?
    not a week after release no

Not all that impressed with FF versus 13 after I saw that trailer. Looks too much like crisis core which I hated and ever since Bayonetta and Vanquish came along it looks even more outdated and slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

The VersusXIII game looks decent. Not the traditional FF game i was looking for but decent, for now. You know SE will find some way of ****ing it up. As for FFXIII-2...Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. But that being said FFX-2 was a big departure from FFX both gameplay and storytelling wise. Maybe there is some sparkle of hope for FFXIII-2

Wow that VersusXIII music is amazingly powerful. I need to get an mp3 of that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i am late, SE blocked the trailer T_T i had to find an alternative that takes ages to load >_> here for people who missed
    versus13:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjM3ODkwMTA4.html
    13-2:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjM3ODc1NDg4.html

judging from the trailers - versus13 CG looks sharp as always but i am tired of those faces and facial expressions. battle system please god dont do something like FFCC, and maybe i am biased, Square been trying to do more 'action orientated' rpg all these years but they have been failing since Brave Fencer Musashi back in ps1 era, so i am keeping my low expectation. BUT there seems to be a female dragoon showed in the trailer :pac: i can totally sold by that lol

is ff13-2 a prequel? no comment on it till we get to see more.

and here is 13-2‘s back story:
    i honestly thought ff13 story has huge potential to be considered 'epic' but they failed to do so in the game(i read some of its novel and it is some fine stuff). 13-2's story looks good too.
    Fabula Nova Crystallis Mythology

This is a translation of the mythological story told in this Fabula Nova Crystallis video shown at the January 18th 2011 Square-Enix Conference.

Once upon a time, a god ruled the world. He was called Buniberzei.

Buniberzei defeated his mother, the goddess Muin, and took control of the world for himself.

Muin disappeared into the unseen world--the invisible world.

Buniberzei was a god with many troubles.

The world, it was certain, was destined to die.

He believed this was a curse laid on the world by his mother Muin. Buniberzei knew he had to destroy her.

To do this, he must search for the door. The door to the invisible world where his mother waited.

Using his will alone, he created the first fal’Cie.

First, he created fal’Cie Pulse.

The duty he laid on him was to open the world, and search for the door to Muin.

Next, he created fal’Cie Etro.

But it was a mistake. Unknowingly, he created her exactly in the image of Muin.

Buniberzei feared her, and gave Etro no power of her own.

Instead, he created fal’Cie Lindzei.

The duty he laid on him was to protect Buniberzei from all who might seek to destroy him.

Buniberzei gave Lindzei one special duty. To wake him once the time came.

Then he turned to crystal, and fell into an endless sleep.

Pulse wished to expand the world, so he created many fal’Cie and l’Cie.

Lindzai wished to protect the world, so he created many fal’Cie and l’Cie.

But Etro was powerless, and could do nothing of her own.

Lonely, she thought of her mother, who she so resembled.

Etro tore at her body, letting her blood flow to the earth, and disappeared from the visible world.

From that blood, torn from her body, sprung humankind.

Creatures that were born, only to die.

The destruction of the visible world was no curse, only fate.

The world was divided into two halves, the visible and the invisible.

If the balance between these two were destroyed, the world itself would be destroyed.

The goddess Muin could do nothing to stop this fate.

She was being swallowed into the chaos of the invisible world.

Just before her last moment, Etro came to her side.

Muin told Etro that she must protect the balance of the world, before slipping into the chaos forever.

But Etro was foolish, and didn’t know the meaning behind Muin’s words.

Etro was lonely, but she felt affection for those humans who live only to die.

As they died, she smiled, and gave them chaos.

The chaos Etro gave them, the humans named “heart”.

Their hearts would become their power, but the humans did not yet know this.

Soon, they called Pulse the all powerful ruler. Lindzei they named their protector, and Etro... Etro the named ‘death’.

The humans lived on the world, hold chaos inside them.

Because they held chaos so close, the world once again was in balance.

And Buniberzei still sleeps. A crystal.

Until the end of forever...
    reference from here:http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.com/

i thought i have lost my faith to SE totally but i still fcking went to read all the news they released....maybe deep down i just hope SE can give me some good FF games like they used to do. what a sucker lol

Not all that impressed with FF versus 13 after I saw that trailer. Looks too much like crisis core which I hated and ever since Bayonetta and Vanquish came along it looks even more outdated and slow.
    I thought it looked more like Kingdom Hearts, which I thought you were a fan of? Funny you mention Vanquish as I thought that I saw some Vanquish's influence in there!
    seraphimvc wrote: »
    is ff13-2 a prequel? no comment on it till we get to see more.

and here is 13-2‘s back story:
    i honestly thought ff13 story has huge potential to be considered 'epic' but they failed to do so in the game(i read some of its novel and it is some fine stuff). 13-2's story looks good too.
    Thanks for linking that translation ^^.

I'm also wondering if FFXIII-2 will be a prequel focused on Lightning's back story. That would certainly be interesting to me, as like I said above, I thought she was a very strong and interesting character that I would have like to know more about (which I think there is some more info about her in the novellas).

It would be great if somehow they were able to both please the FF fans who really liked FFXIII and those who didn't like it very much with FFXIII-2. Seems like a tall order though with how vitriolic some fans are about FFXIII. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

^ff13-2 feels like it could be something like Valkyrie Profile, some goddess reincarnate into the Lightning we know (and thus the same face but with old armour in the 13-2 trailer) :pac:

GothPunk wrote: »
    I thought it looked more like Kingdom Hearts, which I thought you were a fan of? Funny you mention Vanquish as I thought that I saw some Vanquish's influence in there!

It just looks really slow. It has the potential to surprise me but I'm not too hopeful.

It just looks really slow. It has the potential to surprise me but I'm not too hopeful.
    You know what, I think you have the right idea. Keep those hopes low so that there's all the more potential to be pleasantly surprised! :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah all I heard was FF13 was awful and when I did play it I actually really enjoyed it :)

Advertisement