Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Postcodes to be introduced

Comments

• 101sean wrote: »
    In rural areas it doesn't work as well, post code can cover a big area but at least there's road and house names as well.

Isolated rural houses/farms would have individual postcodes, there isn't the same amount of "bungalow blitz" as there is here. So no postcode would a large area.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

SPDUB wrote: »
    The point you seem to be deliberately ignoring is the the original poster said the UK postcode brought him to his brother's house .

The UK postcode cannot bring you to a particular house even in a city .

...and you seem to be deliberately ignoring that the postcode WITH A HOUSE NUMBER will bring you to a particular house in that city.

You can, as Valentina Better Arch says, even address a letter to, say, "10 SW1A 2AA" and it'll get to the house.

In rural areas it'll get you down to an individual road, which is a hell of a lot better than a townland name does here - particularly based on peoples constantly varying ideas of where townloads start and end.

• MYOB wrote: »
    ...and you seem to be deliberately ignoring that the postcode WITH A HOUSE NUMBER will bring you to a particular house in that city.

You can, as Valentina Better Arch says, even address a letter to, say, "10 SW1A 2AA" and it'll get to the house.

In rural areas it'll get you down to an individual road, which is a hell of a lot better than a townland name does here - particularly based on peoples constantly varying ideas of where townloads start and end.

10 Downing st London,

See - postcodes are useful! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

MYOB wrote: »

You seem to ignoring the fact that all he was given was the postcode without a house number
    My brother whom lives in the UK recently moved house, when I went over to see him after his move I asked for him for his address all he gave me was the postcode to enter in my Sat Nav, this brought me directly to his Cul-de-sac were I saw his car outside his house.

And that is not sufficient with UK postcodes to bring you to an individual house

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thats his brothers fault, not that of the post coding system.

You're splitting hairs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

You seem to ignoring the fact that all he was given was the postcode without a house number

And that is not sufficient with UK postcodes to bring you to an individual house

you're just being pedantic tbh, if it was a delivery man, he would have told him number 10, XX8 YY6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

10 Downing st London,

See - postcodes are useful! ;)

What if there more than 1 Downing Street in London:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

celticbest wrote: »
    What if there more than 1 Downing Street in London:confused:

Then the other one would have a different postcode, which would remove all ambiguity, surely.

The bottom line on Postcodes is that they are a First World standard, Ireland is now supposed to be a first world country, if this is so they should be implemented here ASAP.

My brother whom lives in the UK recently moved house, when I went over to see him after his move I asked for him for his address all he gave me was the postcode to enter in my Sat Nav, this brought me directly to his Cul-de-sac were I saw his car outside his house.

In order to get to his new home I had to drive for over 40 miles from the Airport to his house in unfamiliar surroundings and all I need was a six digit Alpha-Numeric code - eg. XX7 XX7.

This is why in my opinion Postcodes are vital, they bring you or even deliveries you are waiting for directly to your door, also I have often seen Ambulances in my area going up and down the same roads looking for a specific address if we had postcodes here they would be directed directly to the correct road by there Sat Nav.

It is a major part of modern day infrastructure.

SPDUB, can you please re-read my original post above again.

Were did I state that it brought me to an individual house, as stated above it 'brought me directly to his Cul-de-sac were I saw his car outside his house'.

If I was a delivery man I'm sure he would have given me his house number along with his postcode.

Thats his brothers fault, not that of the post coding system.

Technically it is the fault of the postcode system since the postcode in the UK is not detailed enough to go to individual houses .
    SPDUB, can you please re-read my original post above again....Were did I state that it brought me to an individual house

You didn't and that reply of mine you've quoted was replying to MYOB

• Advertisement

Technically it is the fault of the postcode system since the postcode in the UK is not detailed enough to go to individual houses .

Your argument is just getting worse and worse as this thread goes on.

What would the point be in have an address if every house had a Postcode:confused:

A postcode is specific to a particular area, an address is specific to a house/ place of business.........

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The UK sytsem is more accurate than the German one anyway. My postcode covers about 30 streets. It is not designed to locate an individual house, probably because every road in Germany (like in the UK) is named. Townlands don't exist.

The UK sytstem would likely be ok for Ireland, but tbh if there's something better now using GPS or a kilometre based system incorporating the new L road numbers being rolled out (can't help but feel our system will have a dependency on the L roads as the councils are now making a concerted effort to sign all sorts of boreens).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Actually it is if the house has a number. As already shown

10 SW1A 2AA

is ten D street. YOu could do this

SW1A 2AA10, putting the number at the end.

Or if you wanted in hex ( where 10 = A)

SW1A 2AAA,

or just as a letter rather than a number ( 10 = J)

SW1A 2AAJ

But that is pointless.

10 SW1A 2AA is just as good, if not better. See the whole thing as a postcode, incl house number , and you have a post code for every house.

EDIT: well every urban house. In general housing in England has numbers even if rural. Not always.

• Another good thing about having postcodes is that they override the "snob factor", there are some areas of town that have "nice houses" surrounded by council estates.

They used to omit the name of the area (often heard on the local news relating to crime) from their address and substiture it with the name of the main road, without the post code you would never have been able to find them.

Eventually the residents successfully got a new area postcode allocated.

• Pittens wrote: »
    Actually it is if the house has a number. As already shown

10 SW1A 2AA

is ten D street. YOu could do this

SW1A 2AA10, putting the number at the end.

Or if you wanted in hex ( where 10 = A)

SW1A 2AAA,

or just as a letter rather than a number ( 10 = J)

SW1A 2AAJ

But that is pointless.

10 SW1A 2AA is just as good, if not better. See the whole thing as a postcode, incl house number , and you have a post code for every house.

EDIT: well every urban house. In general housing in England has numbers even if rural. Not always.

+1
    The only time that system fails is when someone insists on naming their house and refuses to use the allocated number, but the postman/delivery driver is still within spitting distance and just has to walk past each house 'till he finds "Pendant house".

Your argument is just getting worse and worse as this thread goes on.

What would the point be in have an address if every house had a Postcode:confused:

A postcode is specific to a particular area, an address is specific to a house/ place of business.........

One of the proposals for the Irish postcode system is/was to have an unique postcode to each property .There was some concern that would cause privacy problems by the Data Protection Commissioner .

I believe An Post's Geo Directory is also detailed to individual buildings though of course that's not available to the public

• SPDUB wrote: »
    One of the proposals for the Irish postcode system is/was to have an unique postcode to each property .There was some concern that would cause privacy problems by the Data Protection Commissioner .

I believe An Post's Geo Directory is also detailed to individual buildings though of course that's not available to the public

How the hell can it be any different than having a database with names and full addresses in it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sounds fairly spurious, IMO. So what if each building has a unique code? It's not as if a building's existence couldn't be determined by other means (by means of its address as Valentina Better Arch said, or via Google Earth or simply by walking or driving past it).

There's not going to be some sort of database that says that D99 XYZ is Bono's house, but the information that there is a house at 999 Rockstar Road, Killiney, and that Bono lives in it is already in the public domain. Coding this via a postcode doesn't impinge on the owner's privacy.

• Forgot to mention the ESB MPRN codes for the meters, they also uniquely identify any property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

From Silicon Republic: "A new all-Ireland digital address code that provides precise address information has gone live and will be invaluable to businesses that need to deliver products and services across the island."

So, what does this mean for the government's postcode rollout? Are we going to have multiple postcodes at our houses, i.e., use one for An Post, another type for parcel delivery services? I'm confused.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I think you'll find that LOC8Code is a commercial venture and not a government sponsored initiative. As postcodes are already over 2 years late and looking like being delayed again this seems to be someone showing some initiative of their own. The fact that it is to be available on Garmin satnavs this month might see it take off. I for one think it is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Yawlboy wrote: »
    The fact that it is to be available on Garmin satnavs this month might see it take off. I for one think it is a good idea.

From the website it says that you will be charged to unlock the Loc8 functionality :-(

http://www.myloc8ion.com/help#1

"At Present Garmin has fully implemented Loc8 Codes on all new Garmin 12xx, 13xx and 14xx series of SatNav's from August 2010. An update to these devices which were already sold previously is available as normal from “myDashboard” on the Garmin site and an unlock for the Loc8 Code functionality is available Here on this site. If you purchased a Garmin Nuvi 12xx, 13xx or 14xx before 1st June 2010, a fee for unlocking the Loc8 Code functionality will be charged."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Why is this news?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Aard wrote: »
    Why is this news?

Because loc8 was launched yesterday: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/16941-all-ireland-digital-address/

In fact, we now have 2 geocodes - gocode.ie was also launched yesterday.

redalicat wrote: »
    Are we going to have multiple postcodes at our houses, i.e., use one for An Post, another type for parcel delivery services? I'm confused.:confused:

If the Govt don't adopt it then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Condi wrote: »

Yes the traffic caused the map service to slow late this evening - but recovering now - probably due to the piece on the 6 O' Clock news: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0713/6news_av.html?2787061,null,230

Loc8 Codes were PON codes for beta testing (testing for 2 years) - so not sputious at all!

As for Government Postcode - was to be in place Jan 2008 - last Thursday in the DAIL minsiter said someting by end 2011. But he said that it would have a GPS capability so it could be Loc8. PON (now Loc8) also mentioned IN Oireachtas report on postcodes published back in April - so well recognised at this point.

Garmin now have on all new Nuvi 12xx, 13xx and 14xx sold from now on.

Can also be used in the form www.loc8code.com/w8l-82-4yk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Had a look at Loc8code, seems very good, we have a new house and it is accurately marked (down to the correct floor plan) - I am an immediate convert! I also have a loc8 code now...

It will clearly save us getting calls from every delivery company for directions, if it gets widespread adoption. Fingers crossed; we'll be a long time waiting for a national system to wend its way thru the Dail..... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

County codes can't be used as Conradh na Gaeilge, the department of Gaeltacht and all the other Irish language organisations will object. It is also probably not allowed under the official languages Act.

I think the Loc8 codes are very clever. I think the system fits all the criteria. Anyone know when an announcement will be made abiut when they will be introduced?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement