Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Lucuma wrote: »
    That's very helpful information.........this means then that the line doesn't have to be as dark or darker than the test line to show you ovulated.....just seeing a line that is nearly as dark can also mean ovulation. I mean you got pregnant so you obviously ovulated :P

My lines were never darker. But ovulation was backed up by blood tests in the doctors and the ultrasound in the clinic. Some LH surges only last a few hours, so you might only be getting the beginning or end of the surge on your strip when you test. For me, a line was a line, but the other physical signs backed it up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

That's very helpful information.........this means then that the line doesn't have to be as dark or darker than the test line to show you ovulated.....just seeing a line that is nearly as dark can also mean ovulation. I mean you got pregnant so you obviously ovulated :P

Tbh it was driving me mad until I got the positive pregnancy test. I had the cm going on but never saw the darker line. I was all set to spend loads on the smily face opks so there would be no squinting and checking the second line in different lights :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Roesy wrote: »
    Tbh it was driving me mad until I got the positive pregnancy test. I had the cm going on but never saw the darker line. I was all set to spend loads on the smily face opks so there would be no squinting and checking the second line in different lights :p

Yeah I'd say Stickybean's suggestion of using cheapies to get a ball park and then using smileys to pinpoint the exact 12-24 hour window is bang on.
    The downside of using only the smiley face opks would be that if you don't 'catch' the LH surge at exactly the right time, you'll never get a smiley face and you might think you're not ovulating at all.....

whereas at least if you use the cheapies you'll see a second line on the run up to/the wind down from ovulation as well and you'll know that it's definitely occuring!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jack01

Hi ladies, have been on the same journey as you all here & got a positive on a cheap pregnancy test last night. I convinced myself it was only a cheap test & was wrong. My period is two days late & I've been having symptoms like I'm going to get my period. I did a boots test today & got a positive again. I'm slow to believe its real!

jack01 wrote: »
    Hi ladies, have been on the same journey as you all here & got a positive on a cheap pregnancy test last night. I convinced myself it was only a cheap test & was wrong. My period is two days late & I've been having symptoms like I'm going to get my period. I did a boots test today & got a positive again. I'm slow to believe its real!

Great news jack01 !! How long have you been trying for? Best of luck now hope it's a sticky bean :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jack01

Hi lucuma, we were leaving things to chance for about 6 months of last year and nothing happened. In January of this year we started to try time things better using the opk's & after a couple of months using them I was way more clued in to how my body was during my cycles & was able to pin point ovulation. My period is 3 days overdue now & have some symptoms of early pregnancy but every little pain makes me cautious.

jack01 wrote: »
    Hi lucuma, we were leaving things to chance for about 6 months of last year and nothing happened. In January of this year we started to try time things better using the opk's & after a couple of months using them I was way more clued in to how my body was during my cycles & was able to pin point ovulation. My period is 3 days overdue now & have some symptoms of early pregnancy but every little pain makes me cautious.

Aw, good for ye!

So did you do anything different this month (any tips for us!!) did you do the every second day around ovulation thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

arggggggggggggggh,today has been one hell of a day and im just sick of all this crap!!
    Its so unfair :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

bobskii wrote: »
    arggggggggggggggh,today has been one hell of a day and im just sick of all this crap!!
    Its so unfair :(

It seems to be cathing this arrrgggghhhh horrible stuff thats going around. :(
    Work is changing a lot for me and while I do believe it will ultimately be for the good it is still a stressful time on that front.
    My husband and I are hoping to move house and as always that isn't without its stresses and strains.
    He has a full plate at work too there is no doubt about that and I really feel for him.
    My Dad has had surgery recently and altough he will be fine and is getting better every day you can't help but worry about it and him. My poor ol' Mum is wrecked trying to mind him and stay cheery and all that stuff. So I'm concerned about her.
    Then for good measure with a massive bolt out of the blue has come a thoroughly unpleasent blast from the past, one I'd much rather never see or hear from again.
    Add it all up and its one big messy stress ball.
    Today I'm on CD 29 and my period is due on Sunday June 5th. ...........if I get it. We did "it" all at the right times this month. The aps (Pink Pad, Lady Timer and What to Expect -(Fertility) suggested certain ovulation dates and when I used the OPK strips bought on Amazon they did work ......kinda. The test line did get darker on the supposed ovulation days and one day did get very close to the same colour as the control line so who knows.
    In the madness of my brain I decided yesterday it would be a good idea to do both an OPK (why I don't know) and a pregnancy test for good measure.
    Both upsurprisingly were negative. :o
    I'm scared to hope that this month was a productive month for us.

Sorry for the brain dump ladies. Its one of those weeks it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

I know how you feel but its so reassuring to know that I am not alone. I was two days late this week and I was buying pregnancy tests in every pharmacy in Dublin. I must've looked so desperate as the girl in the shop shouted,'GOOD LUCK!' as I scurried out the door. It really hit me hard on Wednesday when my period finally came as I had stupidly let myself believe that it could actually happen this month. Its been nearly a year now and I can't take much more so I am going to the FemPlus clinic next Thursday. I am so scared as I don't know what they'll find. I feel so isolated and alone as I haven't told any of my friends as they're nearly all mums or expecting at the moment. One of them joked to me that there must be something in the water and my heart just broke inside. I stupidly told her at Christmastime that we were casually trying (if she only knew) and now she's pregnant on her second child, its just so unfair. Every time I see a pregnant woman I just want to go over to her and tell her how lucky she is. I needed to go on a forum like this to vent and to know that I am not alone as it really feels like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

pennyloves wrote: »
    I know how you feel but its so reassuring to know that I am not alone. I was two days late this week and I was buying pregnancy tests in every pharmacy in Dublin. I must've looked so desperate as the girl in the shop shouted,'GOOD LUCK!' as I scurried out the door. It really hit me hard on Wednesday when my period finally came as I had stupidly let myself believe that it could actually happen this month. Its been nearly a year now and I can't take much more so I am going to the FemPlus clinic next Thursday. I am so scared as I don't know what they'll find. I feel so isolated and alone as I haven't told any of my friends as they're nearly all mums or expecting at the moment. One of them joked to me that there must be something in the water and my heart just broke inside. I stupidly told her at Christmastime that we were casually trying (if she only knew) and now she's pregnant on her second child, its just so unfair. Every time I see a pregnant woman I just want to go over to her and tell her how lucky she is. I needed to go on a forum like this to vent and to know that I am not alone as it really feels like that.

Ah Pennylove you are not alone, reading your post you took the words from my mouth. We were out today and the everywhere we went there was bumps.

We were shopping for my nephews birthday present, I couldn't help but torture myself and walk through the baby section. I seen a little neutral coloured baby mobile, I wanted to buy it so bad, just to say to myself it will happen.

We will be two years trying the end of August, I am already blessed with a fabulous 10 year old, and have such feelings of guilt feeling so incomplete without this baby I so long for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Guys, I completely understand how hard it is. We were a year trying too penny. When I went for checkup, it burned out that I had two large cysts which had to be surgically removed. I got pregnant the month that I threw out the opks and pregnancy tests and finally allowed my body to relax. Have faith and try but to stress because it is definitely counterproductive. Best of luck to you. X

it has been one of those weeks most definately!
    Found out i have low egg reserve and now they wont let us go ahead with ivf until my auto immune disease is controlled,talk about disappointment :(
    It is sooo frustrating,finally we thought right were getting somewhere and then knocked back again.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Guys, I completely understand how hard it is. We were a year trying too penny. When I went for checkup, it burned out that I had two large cysts which had to be surgically removed. I got pregnant the month that I threw out the opks and pregnancy tests and finally allowed my body to relax. Have faith and try but to stress because it is definitely counterproductive. Best of luck to you. X

Its funny how we all know that stress and tension can hinder the baby making process yet its so much easier to say it than do it. :):o
    My period is due tomorrow and if it comes it comes. Things have been / actually are very difficult for me at the moment but I'm off on holidays in a couple of weeks and I'm due to ovulate when we're away. By the time D day comes we'll have been off for a few days and I'm hoping we'll both be more chilled out and relaxed and nature will take its course this time around.
    Needless to say if my period doesn't come for all of the best reasons then I'll be happy out about that too.

Positive relaxing thoughts being sent to all of you ladies.
    Have a good one:)

Thank you for all your responses, it really does lift me to know that there are so many people in the same boat as me. I wish I could forget about it and try and leave it up to the gods but it is virtually impossible when you want something so much.

I am going to the Femplus clinic on Thursday for a scan, blood tests etc. so hopefully they will set me on the right track as I feel like everything I've done so far has been a disaster!!! My poor husband must dread coming home some nights as I've started to go to bed at crazy times in the evening as I get so low - not exactly the best start to the first year of marriage. Anyway, thank you so much. Stickybean u shouldn't feel guilty for desperately wanting another baby. It's the most natural thing in the world, that's why it hurts so much. x

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Uugh just got mine this morning it's such a horrible & frustrating time. It was 3rd month trying so I suppose it's nothing to really worry about yet. When should u go to a doc for scan/tests etc I'm 30 now, is it a year of waiting?

I know how disappointing it is but don't lose faith, 3 months isn't that long especially if you've only come off the pill as your body is still adjusting. I would wait for another 5 months or so but do what u feel is right. I would definitely give it another few months at least though. I know today is hard but try and think positively that your body is already getting itself prepared for another egg release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Generally 12 months if you are trying actively and are under 35, 6 months if you are over 35 before you go to see your GP.

It takes the average "healthy" couple 6 - 8 months to conceive.

And can take 6 months to get back to normal cycle after being on the pill.

I had my third set of day 21 bloods today (it was day 23 because of the bank holiday and the weekend), the nurse was a bit concerned about that the reading would be affected, anyone else have this before?

stickybean wrote: »
    Generally 12 months if you are trying actively and are under 35, 6 months if you are over 35 before you go to see your GP.

I had my third set of day 21 bloods today (it was day 23 because of the bank holiday and the weekend), the nurse was a bit concerned about that the reading would be affected, anyone else have this before?
    yeh I had that dilema a couple of times,actually the last time I had them done the fertility doctor said day 22 was fine,I had been getting them done day 21 all along.

This month for the first time ever my period was late and I had none of the usual PMS symptoms that I'd usually get. I peed on so many sticks! Yet at the back of my mind I knew in my heart and soul that I wasn't pregnant.
    Period arrived today. Anyhow here's to the next time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

22,23, 24... and any other day at all before the drop for your next period makes no real difference.all they are looking for is the levels to be above 30 to indicate that you ovulated earlier in the cycle. If you have short cycles they should be testing earlier than day 21, but with a 28 day cycle they can take that test up to about day 26, or so my gp tells me.

Day 21 is way too early for me, because my cycles are longer than normal, so they keep on doing those 'day 21' bloods until they see the levels rising. Latest one I saw a success on was cd45.

Period arrived today. Anyhow here's to the next time!
    Aw hard luck Penny Dreadful. Good luck for ovulating on holiday next cycle though :)

QUOTE]

You can say that again. What were we doing to our bodies on that blasted pill for so long! I wish one of the GPs that prescribed me Dianette etc over the years had pointed this little side affect out to me at the time....the minor issue that years and years on the pill may not be the best idea for someone that wants to have babies eventually. Anyway!

Been off the pill 6 months now and only ovulated once so far. Didn't ovulate on the last cycle (had zero ovulation signs) then this week I got ewcm so started to get excited but opks were negative all week and I was doing 2 opks a day....til today randomly on CD 18 (last time was CD 9!) the wonderful 2nd line appeared.
    My OH is abroad for 3 weeks so it's no use to me from a TTC point of view but when I saw the 2nd line I immediately burst into tears. Then couldn't stop crying for ages after. Have no idea why I had such a crazy reaction except to say that even though I'm trying to get on with things and not think about it, clearly the stress and worry about why I'm not ovulating is hammering away at me inside the whole time and when I saw that 2nd line appear today all I felt was total, utter relief and it was like a massive well of emotion just came pouring out

This TTC is such an emotional rollercoaster :eek:

bobskii wrote: »
    it has been one of those weeks most definately!
    Found out i have low egg reserve and now they wont let us go ahead with ivf until my auto immune disease is controlled,talk about disappointment :(
    It is sooo frustrating,finally we thought right were getting somewhere and then knocked back again.

Bobskii that is tough tough tough. Hang in there. For the moment work on anything you can do to get the auto immune disorder under control and then the IVF will follow. I hope the doc has given you some good advice about what you can do. Look into alternative therapies too and diet etc.

I have a friend who had an auto-immune disorder for years, cysts on her ovary and endometrisis and she has a healthy toddler now, so there is light at the end of the tunnel x

Aw hard luck Penny Dreadful. Good luck for ovulating on holiday next cycle though :)

I'm quite impatient with myself by nature and have been so since stopping the Pill in December. I was convinced that I'd be pregnant super quick and then got rather fixated when it didn't happen as I had planned in my mind.
    I've been quite fixated on OPKs, etc and now think that I'll just let nature take its course.... well within reason I'm not going to just wait for the next 5 years letting it meander on its own.
    I'm going to be 36 in July and am a healthy 36 (don't smoke, never have, drink very little, eat healthily, am not overweight, etc, etc) and if nothing happens by September I'll go to see my doctor.
    The way I've been thinking about it over the weekend is that I spent years taking the Pill and although my body has returned to periods on a faily regular basis since coming off it, it still takes time to get back to normal. I'm going to let this happen, relax and just enjoy sex with my husband and not see it only as baby making.
    Fingers crossed eh?!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I'm quite impatient with myself by nature and have been so since stopping the Pill in December. I was convinced that I'd be pregnant super quick and then got rather fixated when it didn't happen as I had planned in my mind.
    I've been quite fixated on OPKs, etc and now think that I'll just let nature take its course.... well within reason I'm not going to just wait for the next 5 years letting it meander on its own.
    I'm going to be 36 in July and am a healthy 36 (don't smoke, never have, drink very little, eat healthily, am not overweight, etc, etc) and if nothing happens by September I'll go to see my doctor.
    The way I've been thinking about it over the weekend is that I spent years taking the Pill and although my body has returned to periods on a faily regular basis since coming off it, it still takes time to get back to normal. I'm going to let this happen, relax and just enjoy sex with my husband and not see it only as baby making.
    Fingers crossed eh?!:P

I think the best advice when you are just starting TTC and come off the pill is for 6 months just concentrate on not trying not to get pregnant :)

Bobskii that is tough tough tough. Hang in there. For the moment work on anything you can do to get the auto immune disorder under control and then the IVF will follow. I hope the doc has given you some good advice about what you can do. Look into alternative therapies too and diet etc.

I have a friend who had an auto-immune disorder for years, cysts on her ovary and endometrisis and she has a healthy toddler now, so there is light at the end of the tunnel x

Thanks Lucuma
    i was so disappointed that day i just cried,but we've just decided there's nothing more we can do till i get this under control first.I'm having reflexology and acupuncture done to coincide with the ivf(or so i thought) i will carry on with it for now and look into a diet which can help control flare up's.

:D I think this must be true of everyone in here, otherwise we wouldn't be on a forum eh!
    I for one am very grateful for this forum, as in the real world I'm exposed to situations like a recent one where my only sister who is 3 years younger than me and wasn't even trying....just came off the pill and 1 month later (her hubby + her weren't even trying!!) was pregnant. She doesn't know one end of an opk from the other and it just happened like that, bam, with zero effort.

If I was comparing myself to the likes of that, I'd be freaked out. It's very reassuring to come on here and realise that while my sister is very lucky, that doesn't happen to alooooooot of women i.e. for many couples it takes a while.
    Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Well ladies, ages since I posted here. We have now got the all clear to TTC again and hopefully this time we have it sorted out, trying not to feel angry that we could have had this sorted years ago. This will be our first month to try so pretty scared and excited.

This morning my best friend had her 4th baby. I posted about how angry and sad I felt when she first told me she was expecting. She had a beautiful healthy little boy. I am so trilled for her, could not sleep last night as I knew she was in labour. Got the call at 9.20 this morning to say he had arrived at 8.50am Irish time. After lots of whopping with joy. I started crying and have spent most of the day doing so. Partly because she is in Canada and I felt so far away and sad I wasn't part of it as I was with her other 3 children. I was the first to hold each of her other children after her husband. The rest of it sadness for our many losses.

Drank so much coffee today that I won't sleep for a week!!! We went to the cinema this evening to just cheer up and I feel so much better. I truly am happy for my wonderful friend and delighted she has her healthy wee man, he is a dote. I met him on skype this afternoon and we are now planning a trip to Canada to meet him face to face, hopefully I will have a bump when we go.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Well ladies, ages since I posted here. We have now got the all clear to TTC again and hopefully this time we have it sorted out, trying not to feel angry that we could have had this sorted years ago. This will be our first month to try so pretty scared and excited.

This morning my best friend had her 4th baby. I posted about how angry and sad I felt when she first told me she was expecting. She had a beautiful healthy little boy. I am so trilled for her, could not sleep last night as I knew she was in labour. Got the call at 9.20 this morning to say he had arrived at 8.50am Irish time. After lots of whopping with joy. I started crying and have spent most of the day doing so. Partly because she is in Canada and I felt so far away and sad I wasn't part of it as I was with her other 3 children. I was the first to hold each of her other children after her husband. The rest of it sadness for our many losses.

Drank so much coffee today that I won't sleep for a week!!! We went to the cinema this evening to just cheer up and I feel so much better. I truly am happy for my wonderful friend and delighted she has her healthy wee man, he is a dote. I met him on skype this afternoon and we are now planning a trip to Canada to meet him face to face, hopefully I will have a bump when we go.

Caroline, the very very best of luck to you in the next few months. :) I don't blame you for feeling angry at the wasted time - sometimes doctors need to give us credit for knowing our own bodies and listening to us when we tell them that we feel something is wrong- like you did all along, but hopefully soon you'll have the best reason of all for letting that anger go.

As for me, I think we needed some time off after the M/c in January, plus I was settling back to work again. We would like to start trying again so maybe for the rest of the summer we can see how we get on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement