Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Kingkong wrote: »
    What RAID setups does the BIOS Support.

Looking at putting on Vsphere and not sure how to go about the RAID setup

If anyone has a spare stick of Ram for it i would be most grateful.

I've a spare 2GB (I've bought 2x4GB yesterday). I'm based in South County Dublin so PM me if interested)

EDIT: I've Already PM-ed the first Boardie to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

May as well chance my arm...anyone in the midlands/around Galway City with spare RAM they dont want can drop me a PM if your feeling generous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

johnybean wrote: »
    If you take the shipping into account (And why wouldn't you) then it works out €8 cheaper then servers+. The £154 server that you linked to is being sold by Bora Computers in Germany so I dont know if that will effect your ability to claim cash back.

You will NOT get cashback buying from a German vendor. It MUST be UK or Ireland stock. They ask for the serial number on the claim form.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

arikv wrote: »
    I've a spare 2GB (I've bought 2x4GB yesterday). I'm based in South County Dublin so PM me if interested)

Thanks PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I ordered one from Misco yesterday at lunchtime - got it today at lunchtime! Pretty impressive speed. I'm not even prepared to test it today!

Willing to use it as fileserver on Win7 and I wonder if I need any additional RAM or default 2GB will do? Appreciate if anyone shares its spare (as I have to save now to get some more disks for it ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Damn you bargain alerts. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Just bought one off Amazon directly for £193,so £93 after cashback.
    Wont be in stock for 1-3 months though so if it doesnt ship by the end of the month I will cancel it as I dont really need it anyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭peter_dublin

Ordered one on Misco.ie which has them in stock for the same price as going via server plus. Damn bargain alerts...

Ordered it on Misco and recieved it the next day in the office, Great service and rebate submitted. Currently using it as a headless TV Tuner Farm / NAS running the following:

1. DVBLink (TvSource / Connect Server) with 3 x DVB-T Tuners and 3 DVB-S2 Tuners (1 USB / 1 Internal Dual Tuner)
    2. Plex Media Server
    3. OS: Windows Server 2012 Essentials (R2 will only install if onboard NIC is disabled and an additional NIC Installed, RTM also has the same issue).
    4. RAID 5 (4 x 1TB drives) 250GB relocated to 5.25" bay (Sata Cable / Molex to Sata Convertor required).
    5. Crashplan to backup to the cloud.
    6. uTorrent controlled via Web Interface.

Unless I do ASF transcoding the CPU idles about 6 - 10% (mostly due to Crashplan), ASF at 640x480 (512bits) pushes it to 100% but it can still stream tv channels to other clients without interuption as this is only transferring the MPEG Stream. Ram is nearly maxed, running about 70 - 75% so if anyone has a 2gb they want to sell on do let me know.

Overall though I'm unsure I'll keep it, I've a Core2Quad Q8300 this was to replace but the lower transcoding possibilities is a limitation especially when I use DVBLink / Plex Android clients to watch tv / stream media while commuting etc, specifically the live transcoding of the Tv Stream using ASF_Transcoder really pushes it and 720p/1Mbit just isn't possible which is a shame as this was my min requirements for watching tv on a 1080p android phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭ Foster Large Orangutan

I also ordered mine from Misco on Wednesday afternoon, and it arrived this morning. I was very pleased with the service, and the server.

However, 2GB is certainly not enough for my needs, and I also already have four large HDDs to put in it, so I don't suppose anyone in Dublin (I'm based in Blackrock) would like to swap the 2GB ECC stick they received with their G7 for the 250GB drive that I received with mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ordered it on Misco and recieved it the next day in the office, Great service and rebate submitted. Currently using it as a headless TV Tuner Farm / NAS running the following:

1. DVBLink (TvSource / Connect Server) with 3 x DVB-T Tuners and 3 DVB-S2 Tuners (1 USB / 1 Internal Dual Tuner)
    2. Plex Media Server
    3. OS: Windows Server 2012 Essentials (R2 will only install if onboard NIC is disabled and an additional NIC Installed, RTM also has the same issue).
    4. RAID 5 (4 x 1TB drives) 250GB relocated to 5.25" bay (Sata Cable / Molex to Sata Convertor required).

Unless I do ASF transcoding the CPU idles about 6 - 10% (mostly due to Crashplan), ASF at 640x480 (512bits) pushes it to 100% but it can still stream tv channels to other clients without interuption as this is only transferring the MPEG Stream. Ram is nearly maxed, running about 70 - 75% so if anyone has a 2gb they want to sell on do let me know.

Overall though I'm unsure I'll keep it, I've a Core2Quad Q8300 this was to replace but the lower transcoding possibilities is a limitation especially when I use DVBLink / Plex Android clients to watch tv / stream media while commuting etc, specifically the live transcoding of the Tv Stream using ASF_Transcoder really pushes it and 720p/1Mbit just isn't possible which is a shame as this was my min requirements for watching tv on a 1080p android phone.

wow my brain hurts:)

• Advertisement

2. Plex Media Server

Windows Servert 2012 installs fine as is as long as you add the NIC driver (I've installed the Datacentre edition with the nic enabled): here's an explanation:
    http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5734-anyone-successfully-install-server-2012-r2-essentials-on-a-microserver/

Not sure if it was posted before but:
    "If you plan to run Windows and utilize the fakeRAID (aka SoftRAID) controller, I'd recommend installing the AMD RAIDXpertarray monitoring/RAID management".
    Link to it (you'll need to download and install the last one and possibly the one before to be able to configure and monitor the RAID from within Windows):
    support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx

I use that as I've no iLO card and will otherwise need to hook up a monitor to it when I add/remove disks.
    It works on any Winsows 2008R2 /2012 64Bit OS including Core (free but with no GUI).

Hope it helps someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Anyone else have issues with the tray sliding out? One of them works perfect for me but the other one seems to catch on something and moves maybe 5mm at most. That's when the two screws have been loosened btw..

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Anyone else have issues with the tray sliding out? One of them works perfect for me but the other one seems to catch on something and moves maybe 5mm at most. That's when the two screws have been loosened btw..

Do you have any PCIe cards installed?

Do you have any PCIe cards installed?
    No both were straight out if the box through it was the blanking slot for the PCIe cards that was catching so removed them and still the same. Reckon one of them could be making a return trip.

No both were straight out if the box through it was the blanking slot for the PCIe cards that was catching so removed them and still the same. Reckon one of them could be making a return trip.

My N54L trays are okay, I've already populated all Bays and also since had replaced two with higher capacity disks.

What do you mean by the tray - is it the motherboard?

Have you made sure all the cables are unplugged and aren't snagging anything on the board? I remember having some minor snagging issues - a bit of care and brute force in equal measure was enough to free it.

got it sorted. rather embarrassed what it was. had left the vga connected:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Just got these back in stock guys, just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Here's the link to the server on your site, Kin :)

€116 shipped after cash back, not a bad price at all

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Here's the link to the server on your site, Kin :)

€116 shipped after cash back, not a bad price at all

Is the cash back deal still good? The form I filled out seemed to imply you had to take delivery before the end of September, which is looming now.

Yes the cashback is still good. The product has to ship before the end of the month so orders made by this week should be ok.

It says it has to be delivered by the 30th, but I've no idea how they would know this.

Damn you Kin. I don't need another one, but I love a bargain...

stimpson wrote: »
    It says it has to be delivered by the 30th, but I've no idea how they would know this.

They would use the invoice date.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I absolutely don't need this, but I'm very tempted. Stick in a low profile €25 PCI-E graphics card with HDMI output and you have yourself a combo HTPC / NAS machine for very little money...

unkel wrote: »
    I absolutely don't need this, but I'm very tempted. Stick in a low profile €25 PCI-E graphics card with HDMI output and you have yourself a combo HTPC / NAS machine for very little money...

How about sound? will the graphics card look after it as well?

arikv wrote: »
    How about sound? will the graphics card look after it as well?

A HDMI card will do sound.

I have a low profile fanless card that I bought, but I'm using it as a server so it will go up on adverts if anyone is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

it does have HDMI by the looks of it:
    824d3d0c-b43c-4aa3-a0e1-d173610f567f.jpg

anyone using one of those as htpc? is it suitable for HD playback?

Doesn't have HDMI - you're probably looking at the eSATA port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    it does have HDMI by the looks of it: anyone using one of those as htpc? is it suitable for HD playback?

I can't remember how well it handles HD playback without a graphics card as it's been so long, I think it did 720 playback ok. I picked up a Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 for $30 on Amazon.com and it can play full HD with no issues.

Advertisement