Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get almond milk?

• 03-05-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Heya.. so I live in Dublin and I usually shop in Dunnes, Tesco and Supervalue.

I go to Dunnes most of the time and I was looking for almond milk.
    I couldn't find it in there.. so does anyone know if it's available in tesco or supervalue.. or even spar? haha

Thanks.. I wanna go off drinking milk and want a substitute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You'd be better off trying a health food store. Although, I've noticed some of the big supermarkets stock rice milk now, so the selection is getting better. Some of the health food stores in Dublin are listed here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

They have it in Health Food stores, its very sweet and watery though. Not like milk at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Superquinn usually have it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

I've seen it in Holland and Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

I've also seen rice milk mixed with almond and hazelnut milk in Holland & Barrett - v. nice!
    Almond milk itself, I've also seen in the Dublin Food-Co-op.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

I lived off of chocolate almond milk for years! CAD$2/tetrapak. Unhappy to find them priced over €4 here... though they seem to be at most health food stores I'd visited. I'm curious to try the quinoa milk though... but anyway, is that normal for the almond milk to be twice as much as the soy milk? Good thing I like Alpro!

Also when you are trying to convert to non-dairy milk but you are stuck in the "this doesn't taste like dairy" rut... try finding a different soy product that you do like that tastes more neutral to you. For example coming off a dairy farm with 3.5% milk I could not stand the soy milks (or other alt milks) I first tried. However after a while I found a soy ice cream that still had a bit of soy flavour but was too rich and creamy to notice. I ate a lot of that ice cream :D and after a while tried soy milk again and I didn't mind it anymore! Personally I also found that chocolate milk takes on different flavours according to what else you ate just before. To get the best flavour I personally like to drink it after I've had a hint of mint to clear my palate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Well, I guess here we have to deal with the price of shipping to the UK, then shipping to Ireland, so the price does grow. Plus, with soya milk being the popular choice they can buy in bulk, whereas I wouldn't say the health food store owners get such a good deal on other milks. €€€

Good advice there :)

I guess I assume that Ecomil is produced in the UK?... Almond Breeze is from the Western States - shipped up and across to Eastern Canada. Anyway, just stating the unfortunate price difference... whatever legitimate reasons for it. I think my $2 soymilk may have been imported overseas? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

nicolevins wrote: »
    Heya.. so I live in Dublin and I usually shop in Dunnes, Tesco and Supervalue.

I go to Dunnes most of the time and I was looking for almond milk.
    I couldn't find it in there.. so does anyone know if it's available in tesco or supervalue.. or even spar? haha

Thanks.. I wanna go off drinking milk and want a substitute.

If you have a blender, you can make your own almond milk by blending almonds with water (approximately 1 cup of almonds to 3 cups water). Alternatively, use hemp seed to make hemp seed milk (which tastes a lot nicer and is much better for you imo!)

WildBoots wrote: »
    If you have a blender, you can make your own almond milk by blending almonds with water (approximately 1 cup of almonds to 3 cups water). Alternatively, use hemp seed to make hemp seed milk (which tastes a lot nicer and is much better for you imo!)
    I would caution on the hemp.. it is a very strong taste and in my case, I'm not a fan! so if you can try a little something hemp before attempting the milk it may be better. Great if you do like it because it IS very good for you...

re the almond milk... does that require straining after blending? I've always read about soaking and straining and such and it always sounded like such a hassle. :) Blending sounds easy enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Try here for almond milk recipe - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxDDfolIl54

Quinoa milk is worth trying if you can find it also Coconut milk, (not literally coconut milk but a replacement one thats sort of coconut), it really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

just getting interested in this to get away from milk --that video above was removed from YT but here's a good one I will try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3GX6sxh0A

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Alpro now do an almond milk and its quite reasonable. I found it in Tesco. They also do hazlenut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

if you go to tesco, as well as the alpro almond/hazlenut, they've now started doing tesco almond and hazlenut milks too. is the name of the range 'free from' or something? it's in the aisle next to the creams and creme fraiche in my local branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The alpro nut milks are in most supermarkets alright. Both are horrible and just flavoured water really from a nutritional standpoint probably, since there is very little apart from water in them. The non-uht Alpro soya milk is good though.

Advertisement