Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Boo.
    Eircom - Need I say more, no one wants to handle your call.
    Belkin - Tried to RMA a product, no help what so ever.
    Asus - Possibly the worst support I have ever come across, 3 and a half months to replace a mobo in a laptop, when it returned the casing was cracked and took another 6 weeks for that to be changed..

Yay!
    Tevion - MP3 car Stereo started to lose power after 2 years. Had a spanking new one within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Rave - UPS.
    Have had cause to have a few dealings with them lately and have to say there call centre staff I've spoken with have been brilliant, extremely helpful and accommodating.
    Through my own stupidity I made a mistake on the return address and they sorted it all out for me when I called them at the last minute without making me feel like an idiot.

Rant - NTL
    Incompetence personified. You're made to feel like a crank when you request anything, even the most basic of answers to why the service you're paying for is not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bulbist

naas county council,sent me a parking ticket ,i parked on double yellow @ 2.07 on a friday,when i was at my daughters school picking her up (in celbridge)@1.45 _1.50,so it took me and the kids 10 15 mins to get to nass find dbl yel lines,park on them and wait to get a ****n ticket in all that time,no idea what to do......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bulbist

for some reason my connection turns off at about 6 in the evening for a bout an hour and a half(realy pisses me off)i calld them umpteen times about this,and they said i needed a new modem,so i got it 2 -3 wks later and the same happened again,si i called again and was talking to an indian chap (who i found very hard to understand(i think its those mics they talk into,just sounds hollow and distant,he told me i needed a new network card,i bought one and it didnt solve a thing,i rang again and another chap told me i didnt need a network card (i went f>ckn mad)so 2 weeks later im going to try again 2moro,wil fill you in.9that was good to get off d chest,good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Got sky in the other day and the engineer couldnt have been nicer,a bloke from Scotland hid all the wires and no big holes in the wall.A nice chap and done a great job.Im delighted.One regret I forgot to give him a tip :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

My mum at Christmas made the mistake of downloading an I-tunes voucher onto my account instead of her own, and so I decided to try and "gift" her music, which apparently you can't do i.e. can't buy a gift for someone else with a gift card. I-tunes took the money off my credit card instead of my I-tunes account balance, so I emailed them my problem. In the meantime my mum had downloaded the album I had gifted. Apple got back to me within 24 hours and directed me to their gift policy for the future, AND they refunded my card within 24hours, so basically my mum got her gift for free. They treated my case efficiently and satisfactorily and pleasantly and hopefully the fact I pointed out the unclearness (word??) of thier policy, they may change it so others don't make that mistake! I will continue to use Apple and their products!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 invadernim

Eircom:
    My fella worked for Eircom for about a year- it was his first job in customer services & I reckon it will be his last! The entire problem with Eircom seems to be that the people you are talking to on the phone cannot get anyone to investigate or deal with problems

Example: Someone rang him in with a valid complaint. Customer wanted to talk to a supervisor. My fella goes over to his supervisor & tells her that he has a customer on the phone who wants to talk to her. She tells him "to take control of the call yada yada yada & that if the customer asks again that she is not there". My fella goes back over, apologises again to the customer etc etc. Customer (Who has no issue with my fella & is just wanting to talk to a supervisor about problems they had been having over the past few weeks) is still insisting to speak to a supervisor. Fella goes back over to supervisor & explains the situation. Supervisor tells him to go on his break, leave the customer on hold & that she will deal with it. Fella goes on lunch, comes back & customer is still on hold, supervisor hasn't done squat!

It was probably the most sould destroying job anyone could probably have- and it wasn't the customer complaints that was the problem, it was the "higher ups" refusal to aid the people on the phone with basic issues.

Rody Bolands Rathmines:
    4 of us went in to get breakfast- they had a sign up for all day breakfast with no prices (you reckon 10 quid odd for breakfast) (yes I know we should have asked)- ordered 4 full irish - They ask if we want tea or coffee etc etc... get to the till: €11.95 for each breakfast & €2.20 for each tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A total of €56.60 for breakfast for 4 people!!!!!!!!!! Very rude service, awful breakfast.... just as we were finished, the guy behind the counter comes over and says "I over charged you for the food so here is a slice of apple pie" & with that he plonks a single piece of apple pie onto the table & walks away.

Firstly: If you overcharge someone, shouldn't you at least apologise & offer to give them the amount overcharged back!!!!

Secondly: Who the hell eats apple pie after a full irish breakfast

Thirdly: 1 piece of apple pie for 4 people???

Wouldn't go in there again for food if my life depended on it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Noart

Praise For Irish Broadband

Have had the Ripwave connection for about a year. About a week ago started having trouble with the connection. Rang up Irish Broadband, very knowledgable rep who investigated the problem & told us that they would have to change the modem & would send out a courier in 3-5 days.

3 days later they sent out a courier to pick up our old one & deliver a brand new one.

The replacement works perfectly.

Today, a customer service rep called from Irish Broadband to see if the new one was working OK & if we had any other problems or questions. We didn't so he gave us his name & told us to ask for him in future in case of any problems.

Fair play Irish Broadband!
    A courteous, no-fuss, professional & efficient response to problem!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Absolute Crap Service : NTL - So bad they're special!

Great Service : The AA - Automobile Ass. - Always great!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Rave: Dell

My colour cartridge which came with my printer wouldn't work. I e-mailed Dell and they arranged to send it out on Monday (this was a Friday). They then called to make sure it had arrived, which it had, on the Monday. This was a couple of days before Christmas too, when they were probably quite busy.

Rant: Irish Broadband

Fix my internet already! I timed how long it took to get from yahoo to you tube. It took over a minute and a half off peak. This is supposed to be broadband. Our Eircom broadband in my parents' house takes seconds.

Oh, and also, although I'm told that our connection is with Irish Broadband (my accommodation manager told me), NTL were up the road twice last week playing with cables or something and my internet disappeared for 5 or 6 hours each time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Rave o2

Phone became a brick overnight. Went in - no problem with the swap out service. The shop I went into happened to be out of stock so he looked up the other shops and sent me round to the nearest one or offered to order it in.

Shop around the corner turned out to out of stock so apologised profusely and rang 2 people in the other shop just to make sure I wouldn't have a wasted journey up grafton street (I was only at the bottom of it)

Couldn't have been any more helpful if he tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I am currently dealing with Haus/Project Office furniture retailers and wholesalers in TempleBar in Dublin and I am finding them a nightmare.

To be fair, it could be the total air-head that I have been assigned to. But, I don't think so.

I am spending the best part of €10k and getting service that would look bad in my local Spar.

Seriously unimpressed.

Beware!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Rave: Apple

These are the best company to deal with both in getting through to them and in obtaining information from them. Bought a 13" macbook and they were able to cancel a wrong order put through immediately. They had very good communication system and it's nice that the customer service number is 1800

Rant: PC World

These are a joke and I would never buy anything from them ever again. Bought an mp3 player from them and it took a very long time to get a faulty issue sorted. The staff are poorly trained

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Rave: Dell again. Had a problem with my laptop and used online technical support where I chatted with someone from Dell. This was my 2nd time using it and it was just as good this time. The man used Dell Connect to take control of my computer and sorted the problem. He then called the next day and e-mailed me to make sure the problem was resolved. I think the online chat is a great service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

dewsbury wrote: »
    Great Service : The AA - Automobile Ass. - Always great!

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bunnywabbit*

Ok off topic completely ,

was on customer services one day and had an old woman looking for ''dildo rails'' haha

And another one saying, I know you have big knobs, but do you have children's knobs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

rave - creative

my last model of mp3 player started playing up a few days before the warenty finished, was over in london at the time, coincedently bought it there as well,

went to shop it was bought in, who rang creative for me to arrange the return, briefly told the operator the problem, who took the serial no, etc, and told me to return it with the autorisation code he was going to send me, no arguement at all, was only talking to him for a few minutes, he was able to advice the problem straight away,

wasn't a problem the waranty was up in a few days, he said you can post it once you return to ireland to our dublin office, as long as its reported within the year of buying it, the problem has been logged, and the claim is valid

got home a week later, posted it of, got a new player, with new 1 year waranty another week later

my lastest mps is alo a creative, wouldn't buy anyhting else

:cool:

rant - 3

no need to say much, theres a whole thread on it here somewhere

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 clairefrilly

Hardwood in Cork
    Great restaurant . My boyfriend paid for breakfast but as we were in a hurry we rushed out the door.A week later the owner came over to our table to give us €10 because he thought we had overpaid:)

BEST BREKKIE IN CORK . FRENCH TOAST IS WORTH DOING TIME FOR :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Raves - Bord Gais and the ESB. Just bought my first house so rang them up to move my accounts to new address and it was so painless. took grand total of 10 minutes to get both sorted.

Rants - Eircom, left them till last to ring as I knew they would be the ones to be difficult and of course they were. Even thou I'm only moving over one street I had to go on hold for 15 mins while they checked to see if I was staying in the same area code and then couldn't transfer my board band [only reason I have the phone line] I need to cancel that and order a new one for new address but they didn't know how long that would take. Wouldn't mind that if the guy I was talking to was in any nice on the phone but he was an utter dick and mocked my name [I've a very Irish name] in his snotty english accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Right, I have a couple of raves a few pages back, but I have to get this rang out of my system

TalkTalk.

They are completely useless, incompetent.... and rude. My only satisfaction is that I have lost them at least 10 potential customers for broadband. I'm not usually harsh, but this time, I'm spreading the word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Zsuzso71

Centra, in Cork, corner of the Coburg and McCurtain Street. Yesterday I paid with euros 50, and they adjusted it was euros 10. More over they ridiculed me.:mad:of course, I couldn't confirm my true. :(
    The boss was so rude, I never go to there again. Avoid them!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Penneys, O Connell St. - all fine except for one dopey, ignorant (beep!) God I just wanted to punch her... and I'm not even a violent person. Me and my mam were waiting in a relatively short queue. Got to the top and there was one free till with three girls standing sround talking so obviously we went up to it. I asked was the till open and the cow barked: "Yes it is open but I never called next so you stay in the line"!!!!!

Ignorant COW! Worst thing is she was a manager. They should learn basic people skills before they're broken into society!!

*rant... grrrrrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 spina1

Hey Zsuzso71

I have had problems with them as well. They have thing on display at one price but if you aren't watching at the till there can be a different price rung up on it. I have caught them twice doing it. difference on a few items was maybe €1.

Centra, in Cork, corner of the Coburg and McCurtain Street

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Always great !! the AA rescue - (cars not alcohol!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Zsuzso71 wrote: »
    Centra, in Cork, corner of the Coburg and McCurtain Street. Yesterday I paid with euros 50, and they adjusted it was euros 10. More over they ridiculed me.:mad:of course, I couldn't confirm my true. :(
    The boss was so rude, I never go to there again. Avoid them!!!!!!
    spina1 wrote: »
    Hey Zsuzso71

I have had problems with them as well. They have thing on display at one price but if you aren't watching at the till there can be a different price rung up on it. I have caught them twice doing it. difference on a few items was maybe €1.

Centra, in Cork, corner of the Coburg and McCurtain Street

whats with the dual use of red ink? you two related?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

btw, quick rave because i think they deserve it:

Ordered some books from amazon. They didn't arrive because the post office messed up (my area is known for having a bad postal service). When i contacted amazon they didn't make me go through any hoops to get new books. Email from them said: we'll send you new books and then work out what went wrong ... Got the new books the next day.

It has to said, even though its a cliche; treat your customers right and they'll keep on coming back. I'm far more likely to spend money on them in the future because of the way this was handled.

We definitely need more companies to realise this simple idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Oceana2u

Digitalforge wireless broadband provider in West Cork.... pathetic service (they invented the words "hidden extras") and worst customer service ever - expect to be sworn at (f*** word!) down the phone line and told "look I have f***in' kids to collect from school so hurry up" while you're trying to have a service fault reported/fixed for the umteenth time, the people running it need anger management classes, thankfully people are being given choice now and are leaving since 02 etc. have come into the area.
    But this is what can happen if a monopoly exists in an area. A sad set up.

Oceana

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Rave: Malem Airlines, I got 2 extra chickens stuffed with pesto mash! I was the only one in business class and had a hot air hostess all to myself :D:D

Rant: Lufthansa, Lost my bag, got onto the plane and someone was in my seat with the exact same boarding card! Thankfully there was one seat left! Don't get me started on Frankfurts airport "security".

Rave: Dell fantastic. Engineer out to my house within 48 hours.

Rant: Spar/Londis on westmoreland street. My roll was pretty much thrown at me when i asked for a bit more than the 3 shreds of cheese she had given me on my roll!

Rant: NTL...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Rant:: PC World and Camera Centre in Blanchardstown.

Camera Centre::
    I rang to see if they could help me out with a problem with my camera. I said that I wasnt sure what the problem was but that the lens was getting stuck every now and again. And I remember at the time it was a receipt that was hand written and was told "thats your warranty"......Hand Written??????
    Now because I've misplaced the receipt they have NO record of my purchase. Is it just be or should all electronic shops at least have back up of receipts either manual or on a computer. I work in an Electronics shop myself and we have every detail on our systems just in case a customer happens to lose the receipt.....****ing ridiculous.

PC World:
    Was buying a Desktop PC and the guy was really really nice about everything until I refused the insurance option....His tone completely changed with me then. He was no more interested in me asking him questions about speakers for the computer. All he wanted out of me was the frickin insurance. W@nker!

Rave: Harvey Norman (all Dublin stores, but esp. the Blanchardstown Store)

Couldn't be more helpful. Was kicking myself that I hadn't bought my computer there rather than PC World. Whenever I've been in the store theres always someone around to help out. And for once not push you into buying anything you dont want. It's so refreshing. And it also helps when they are FLUENT in English.
    All in all. I think Harvey Norman is one of the best Electrical Stores out of them all in the Blanch Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 spina1

Hey Roundtower2, it's called copy and paste that's all.

I was amazed to see that shop getting a mention but wanted to chime in since I had a bad experience with them.

Advertisement