Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shattered Skies

Options
  • 29-09-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Any fans of this hardworking Irish band? I've always thought they put a really interesting, epic spin on the technical progressive metal genre.

Anyway, the first single from their forthcoming debut album was released today. A rare example of a label taking a punt on a young band!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've been following them for a few years now, saw them a couple of times before they moved over to London, really good live and their EP reanimation is fantastic. Really good quality a home produced album. Looking forward to seeing how the full album sounds. That single sounds great anyway!

They've done really well for themselves the last couple of years (hardworking, as you say) so great to see things pay off for them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Like that a lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I've known them since they went under the old name Distributor, they had a really different setup then though! Keyboardist and a male and female singer. Saw them a few times under each name before they moved to the UK.

It's been interesting watching their evolution. Reanimation is a brilliant EP, and the newer tracks they had released are good, all though I wasn't quite as sold on them. Still really good, just dunno if I think they've gotten better since Reanimation as such.

Looking forward to hearing the album in full all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,111 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Kind of know one of them from college, but out of touch now. Will definitely give this a listen, loved the stuff when they first started so delighted to hear they are still going.

Went back and had a few more listens to the new track and the likes of Saviours and 15 Minutes and I actually am quite looking forward to the new album now. Think cause they are different enough to the tracks on Reanimation that it probably didn't click with me straight away when I listened to it back then.

Definitely a catchy element that sets it apart from most of the stuff I'm listening to right now.

• Advertisement

Wee bump :)

The long awaited debut album is out 12th January (you can pre-order here). The lads have put in a huge amount of work into the album so hoping the final product reflects this. Pre-orders have been selling well apparently which is great to hear.

The new album is out and can be streamed on their bandcamp

http://shatteredskies.bandcamp.com/

Only started listening so can't give a full impression, but liking it so far! Liked most of the tracks they had released over the last while anyway.

Giving it my second listen now and I really like it, fantastic release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Just listening to these guys now, this is pretty cool! ;)

After several listens I'd call it pretty solid. A couple of tracks I'm not mad on though.
    Elegance & Grace is a bit too cheesy, ballad by numbers sounding too me. Definitely my least liked track. Not mad on Flipside either.

Overall a solid release though.

Aesthetics kinda reminds me of 6 Degrees era Dream Theater a bit in parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Somnus wrote: »
    After several listens I'd call it pretty solid. A couple of tracks I'm not mad on though.
    Elegance & Grace is a bit too cheesy, ballad by numbers sounding too me. Definitely my least liked track. Not mad on Flipside either.

Overall a solid release though.

Aesthetics kinda reminds me of 6 Degrees era Dream Theater a bit in parts

Album is growing on me and I agree with with what your saying. Definately don't like Elegance & Grace which is a bit too Dream Theater ballady. I like Dream Theater but their ballad songs drive me cracked.

Highlights for me are end of the rebirth, haunted, saviours and the title track, but that could be I'm skipping straight to saviours after haunted every time...

These guys have released new material, in the form of "AUXILIUM // VOL I", which is apparently "the first of a 4-volume, 2-album concept"

You can listen to it on their bandcamp https://shatteredskies.bandcamp.com/album/auxilium-vol-i

"The Reprisal" is catchy as hell :D

Advertisement