Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Get rid of bogus "craic"

• 25-05-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

This has probably been discussed before, but here goes anyway.

Whan I was a younger man, the crack was mighty. The crack was 90 in the Isle of Man. There was no "craic" to be had anywhere, but there certainly was lots of good humored crack.

Suddenly, about 1995 or so, this all changed, and now everybody seemingly has to spell the word according to what I suspect is some very questionable etymology.

I don't like changing established usages or spellings to suit fashionable theories or dogmas. I think this is an example.

Who else is prepared to join me in campaigning on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Well you're no craic.

Also look into the History of the word it ultimately is not Irish but all words do not have fixed origins.

Crack has negative connotations and craic goes back to the 60's not 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

the crack was 90, but the craic was '95?

The crak was 1290 too. This is what happens in languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

If the word craic is "ultimately not Irish", why is it spelt in that way?

In any case, does anyone know who thought up this daft spelling and why?

I cannot see why the word crack has only negative connotations. There are all sorts of usages of the word that have never had their spellings changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sham Courtney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Whan I was a younger man, the crack was mighty.
    How expensive was it back then? :pac:

If the word craic is "ultimately not Irish", why is it spelt in that way?

In any case, does anyone know who thought up this daft spelling and why?

I cannot see why the word crack has only negative connotations. There are all sorts of usages of the word that have never had their spellings changed.

Why is "beef" spelled beef and not bōs or buef? http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=beef

Both are borrowed words.

Crack is a drug, a part of someones body or a damaged part of something. Very few people associate "crack" with the modern "craic" anymore so you can use it but expect to get weird looks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

the crack was 90, but the craic was '95?
    :D

I think that when the word became popular in Britain, the spelling was changed to declare Irish 'ownership' of the word, and to differentiate it from the drug.
    Is craic used in the States?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

slowburner wrote: »
    :D

I think that when the word became popular in Britain, the spelling was changed to declare Irish 'ownership' of the word, and to differentiate it from the drug.
    Is craic used in the States?

From what I can tell, it's used on "Saint Patty's Day" if you know what I mean: it's known as an Irish word (whether most Americans would think it's "Gaelic" or not I couldn't say) and you might see it on a sign at a cheesy Irish bar but people don't use it in everyday speech unless they're talking about Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

I have seen a reference to "craic" derived from "creach", the booty from a cattle raid back in time of Queen Maedhbh

• Advertisement

That seems a long shot, but if you have the reference can you put it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Language changes, and this battle has been lost. I try really hard not to get annoyed about this sort of thing, but it is a bit annoying that this spelling seems to have been deliberately changed in an attempt to make the whole concept of "craic" uniquely Irish - it smacks of paddywhackery a bit, all right.

Eeden, I completely agree. I will continue to use crack (the word that is!) regardless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

nuac wrote: »
    I have seen a reference to "craic" derived from "creach", the booty from a cattle raid back in time of Queen Maedhbh

To Boulevardier

Sorry can't. It was a recent press item, commenting on the late Diarmuid Ó'Muirthile's view on that word. As far as I remember DÓM criticised the use of "craic"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Well it makes sense that when you're writing in English you use the crack spelling but when you write in Irish, you'd use the gaelicised version of the English word crack, which would be craic.

Therefore, when speaking English it would make sense to write:

"It was great crack last night- there was great craic Agus ceol, be dad. Yahoo!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

This has probably been discussed before, but here goes anyway.

Whan I was a younger man, the crack was mighty. The crack was 90 in the Isle of Man. There was no "craic" to be had anywhere, but there certainly was lots of good humored crack.

Suddenly, about 1995 or so, this all changed, and now everybody seemingly has to spell the word according to what I suspect is some very questionable etymology.

I don't like changing established usages or spellings to suit fashionable theories or dogmas. I think this is an example.

Who else is prepared to join me in campaigning on this?

Sorry, not me. It might be an invention, but then that's what language is about, constantly inventing and reinventing to tie in with changes in society. "Crack" has become synonymous with drug taking, so making the Irish term meaning fun difference by spelling it in an Irish looking way is an inventive and sensible way of dealing with the problem.

I do agree that it's not a genuine Irish word, etymologically speaking: it just looks that way. But you know what, it has become an Irish word. Not quite a neologism - I'm not sure what the term is for adapting and specifying the meaning of a word by changing the spelling - but a word that describes something uniquely Irish.

Advertisement