Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Argos Misrepresented a Product on Online Catalogue

Options
  • 22-11-2012 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I need advice on what should I do.

I reserved a laptop/notebook using the online edition of the argos website see the following link:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5087846.htm

I went yesterday and collected the item thinking I got a great bargain.

Later I found out that they misprinted on their online catalogue that the processor is "Intel Pentium dual core B970 processor.
    2.2GHz processor speed."

This was not the case the actual processor turned out to be Intel Pentium 967.

See below for link to what I actually got:

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/15_16_inch/80007352/acer_15_6_v5_531_967b4g32makk_p967_4gb_320gb/details.aspx

My problem is that one, I have one opened the box and two, the item which was sold to me was on the basis that it is exempt from Argos refund and exchange policy.

It does state on the receipt that my "statutory rights are not affected" so my question is what chances do I have of getting a refund considering I was sold a product different from what was advertised.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Guest2011

I forgot to add that my main problem is due to the processor it is one of the reasons I bought the laptop/notebook the advertised processor has a speed of 2.2GHz and the one I got has speed of 1.3Ghz which is definitely not what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Bring it back and state this isn't what was advertised, IMLTHO you should get your money back.
    If you have a screen shot, all the better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

I took a camera back that was advertised incorrectly and got my money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Yup, bring it back Argos are good in these situations. If they refuse , then it becomes a consumer issue and then you should post here for advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The exemption doesn't apply in this case. Just take it back, Argos are very good on customer service in my experience.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all who replied, yes I did a pdf printout of the webpage and took a screen shot also. Curiously this same issue is on the online product catalogue in the UK also, that is wrong processor to the one advertised.

I will bring it back today and will let all know what happens.

Once again thanks to all who replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is a case of goods not being as advertised, and this is a valid reason to invoke your Consumer rights. Once you explain that, you should have no issues dealing with Argos.

Thanks to all.

I got my refund without having to make a big fuss the person in argos was very pleasant and tried her best to find out what went wrong and looked for the advertised item but couldn't find it and in the end she just gave me my refund.

Once again thanks all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Argo's have always had a great refund policy. I bought a poker table for 60 euro, it looked great on the box, when I got it home it was flimsy as cardboard.

Next day I went back and showed the staff, no quibbles at all, full refund. Other stores ie (uk chains) could learn from their customer service.

Advertisement