Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm faulty from day one

• 20-11-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

About two years ago parents installed a house alarm through a recommended (NSAI approved) security company. However, they have had several issues with the alarm over that period of time. My parents paid €700 cash to have the alarm installed first day.

The company installed 4 sensors around the house, 2 of which never worked. The company was called out and was paid €85 to fix the sensors, which were taken away and never returned. The alarm battery pack also appears to be faulty and the company had to weld the batteries together to try to get it to work. However, 90% of the time the "Trouble" light is on, as per the picture below.

My Dad has tried to make contact with the company, who are still trading, but they fail to return his calls. So that is why I've decided to try and seek some advice on his behalf. What do people think I should or can do in this situation?
    • Call to the company's premises and request that the alarm be repaired?
    • Report the issue to The National Consumer Agency?
    • Report the company to the revenue commissioners?
    • Seek legal advice on the matter?

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2i8hl4j.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Small claims court perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

What I would do:
    1. Write in a formal tone to the company, detailing the problems and reminding them that they have been made aware of them several times;
    2. Tell them that I am giving them 10 working days to address the problem in a satisfactory way, failing which legal proceedings would be instituted to recover all moneys paid to them.
    3. If they do not make an effort to resolve things, make a claim through the Small Claims Court.

Your father should not have been asked for €85 to have faulty components fixed. Be clear that you want that refunded whether or not they sort out the alarm system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Can I ask why people even bother unless it's monitored?

When I walk past somewhere with the alarm going off I just thin 'inconsiderate w***ers!" rather than "oh no the place must be being burgled". A lad I know from school once told me (after a small stint locked up for something else) that he always used to pick houses with alarms, unless they were monitored, as they always had something worth nicking.

I'd take it the the SmCC OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Can I ask why people even bother unless it's monitored?

When I walk past somewhere with the alarm going off I just thin 'inconsiderate w***ers!" rather than "oh no the place must be being burgled". A lad I know from school once told me (after a small stint locked up for something else) that he always used to pick houses with alarms, unless they were monitored, as they always had something worth nicking.

I'd take it the the SmCC OP.

Many non-monitored alarm systems can have SMS facilties to alert key holders by SMS or recorded voice. Key holders can even check remotely by webcam.
    Monitored systems don't really do much more other than try a few key holders before calling the Gardaí if no key holder responds. Gardaí can't often get there on time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bizzman

What I would do:
    1. Write in a formal tone to the company, detailing the problems and reminding them that they have been made aware of them several times;
    2. Tell them that I am giving them 10 working days to address the problem in a satisfactory way, failing which legal proceedings would be instituted to recover all moneys paid to them.
    3. If they do not make an effort to resolve things, make a claim through the Small Claims Court.

Your father should not have been asked for €85 to have faulty components fixed. Be clear that you want that refunded whether or not they sort out the alarm system.

Hi P Breathnach,

Thank you for your detailed advice. I'll write that letter and send it off via registered post. I'll report back with updates, if any.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Why would you report them to the Revenue? Since when is getting paid in cash breaking any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

One of the biggest cons ever was the setting up of the certification system for alarm installers - NSAI & PSA. It's about as useful as the PRTB when a problem arises. This case illustrates it perfectly, certification means absolutely f*** all and just gives these chancers a license to screw unsuspecting customers.

OP my suggestion - along with what you've already done - is to report the company to the NSAI and the PSA to check if they are actually registered.

Ken

Advertisement