Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

As a result of some boredom/goooogling, I've come up with some cycling monumental teasers/questions, so without resorting to gooogling/books/wiki's etc yourself, try and answer as many of the following:
    /answers on a postcard to: Santa Claus, North Pole

1. Only 3 men have won all 5 monuments in their career, Merckx is one, who are the other two ?

2. The 5 monuments are: Milan-SanRemo, Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Giro di Lombardia, what are they also (individually) known as ?

3. Sean Kelly won 4 monuments, which one is missing from his palmares ? where he agonisingly finished 2nd on 3 occasions !!

4. Fabian Cancellara has won X monuments, what value is X ?

5. Put these climbs with their respective monuments: Passo del Ghisallo, Poggio, Koppenberg, la Redoute, Kapelmuur. /easy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks Morrisseeee

1. Only 3 men have won all 5 monuments in their career, Merckx is one, who are the other two ?
    Roger de Vlamineck

2. The 5 monuments are: Milan-SanRemo, Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Giro di Lombardia, what are they also (individually) known as ?
    PR - Hell of the North
    GDL - Race of the Fallen Leaves

3. Sean Kelly won 4 monuments, which one is missing from his palmares ? where he agonisingly finished 2nd on 3 occasions !!
    Tour of Flanders

4. Fabian Cancellara has won X monuments, what value is X ?
    5?

5. Put these climbs with their respective monuments: Passo del Ghisallo, Poggio, Koppenberg, la Redoute, Kapelmuur.
    Poggio - MSR
    Koppenberg, Kapelmuur - ToF
    la Redoute - LBL
    Passo del Ghisallo - GdL

Genealogy Forum Mod

I hope they kept you entertained/guessing for a while anyway Hermy :p
    The spoiler is a good idea, I'll give all the answers later in the week. PS. you're didn't do too bad ;)

Yeah, I was gonna ask should I post up but then I thought the spoilers would suffice.
    Maybe the quiz could become a regular feature.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Dublin Bikes Survey: http://www.delve-surveys.com/dublinbikes/
    Lumen wrote: »
    The disc braked carbon cyclocross bikes cometh....

On-One Dirty Disco Carbon Cyclocross Disc Frame And Fork
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOCXD/on_one-dirty-disco-carbon-cyclocross-disc-frame-and-fork

There has been a Boardman CX disc available for awhile (I know because I picked one up last month):

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_777735_langId_-1_categoryId_212536#dtab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dónal wrote: »
    Dublin Bikes Survey: http://www.delve-surveys.com/dublinbikes/

There has been a Boardman CX disc available for awhile (I know because I picked one up last month)

Interesting. Is it good?

The On One is full carbon, whereas the Boardman has a carbon fork and alu frame.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hermy wrote: »
    Maybe the quiz could become a regular feature.
    Vlad did one last year (I think as a Friday thread), but it really needs the regular posters to come up with some of these things, or at least give us mods some ideas ....

Lumen wrote: »
    Interesting. Is it good?

The On One is full carbon, whereas the Boardman has a carbon fork and alu frame.

The survey? It's long :pac:

Yeah I know it's Alu, but I figured you were more focused on the disc brakes than the carbon. It's excellent so far, very comfy. I did destroy it a little by throwing loads of lights, mudguards and a rack on it, but it still looks well beneath it all. I was looking at CX bikes for a good while, but the poor brakes had made me reconsider, but then I saw the Boardman...

That is to say, this is a winter commuter & tourer. I don't know if I'll get any CX out of it. Maybe some snow fun in a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Both wheels nicked off my bike when I went into a market.

Raging, only had them a week. Not that they were that nice, but the feckin' English*! They will steal anything. They were bolted on, not QRs, and in a public place under cctv, but "nobody seen nuffink" as I was informed. I had, in a moment of gentlemanly-ness given my cable to my GF to make sure her shiney new wheels were locked, and, to be fair, they were untouched.

That said, went down to the nearest LBS, which coincidentally was where I had got the bike from in the first place, and got wheels, tubes, tyres and handlebars for 100 quid. They were also going to give me a rear light which had also disappeared, until we worked out that it was my other half who had nicked that. So that was sound. Miche hubs on the new wheels too, which sadly makes my hipster d**khead bike even more hipster d**khead-y.

Kryptoflex is now permanantly attatched to the bike.

* - As opposed to Dublin, where they will just stomp on your wheels if they can't get them off. Much more civilised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

briano wrote: »
    Both wheels nicked off my bike when I went into a market.

Raging, only had them a week. Not that they were that nice, but the feckin' English*! They will steal anything. They were bolted on, not QRs, and in a public place under cctv, but "nobody seen nuffink" as I was informed. I had, in a moment of gentlemanly-ness given my cable to my GF to make sure her shiney new wheels were locked, and, to be fair, they were untouched.

That said, went down to the nearest LBS, which coincidentally was where I had got the bike from in the first place, and got wheels, tubes, tyres and handlebars for 100 quid. They were also going to give me a rear light which had also disappeared, until we worked out that it was my other half who had nicked that. So that was sound. Miche hubs on the new wheels too, which sadly makes my hipster d**khead bike even more hipster d**khead-y.

Kryptoflex is now permanantly attatched to the bike.

* - As opposed to Dublin, where they will just stomp on your wheels if they can't get them off. Much more civilised.

OUCH, that's not nice! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Just back from the first cycle in the dark this "winter" with my new exposure mk6 joystick helmet light. It's the business. Glad I got it I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

• Registered Users Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Nice article about the recently deceased Dennis Ritchie, for those of you who are interested in computing history:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/16/john-naughton-dennis-ritchie-unix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

This is the first properly cold morning! Enjoyable fresh though.. :pac:

Dopeology : it does exactly what it says on the tin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

AstraMonti wrote: »
    This is the first properly cold morning! Enjoyable fresh though.. :pac:

i just missed the rain as well (need to dig out the peak for the helmet for those low sun mornings)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

i just missed the rain as well (need to dig out the peak for the helmet for those low sun mornings)
    First completely dark commute in for me this morning - according to accuweather the realfeel on the way home on Monday was around the same as this morning (-4 to -5), although it was more of a headwind on Monday which I guess makes it a bit colder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Violates rule 35. Get a cap.

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That looks really uncomfortable. ^ ^

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    That looks really uncomfortable. ^ ^
    I think he needs a bigger gear ....:)

Maybe if he wasn't spinning out it might not look quite so awkward.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Idleater wrote: »
    Violates rule 35. Get a cap.

:D

yeh right i doubt the light extension mount, rack and panniers on that bike, would make mincmeat of those rules anyway so not gonna worry about a helmet peak :p

Beasty wrote: »
    First completely dark commute in for me this morning - according to accuweather the realfeel on the way home on Monday was around the same as this morning (-4 to -5), although it was more of a headwind on Monday which I guess makes it a bit colder

I saw you heading down the Rathmore Road this morning. From some distance away! The lights work brilliant Mr Christmas Tree!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    I saw you heading down the Rathmore Road this morning. From some distance away! The lights work brilliant Mr Christmas Tree!

Be afraid Beasty....

Stalkercat.jpg

This is more like it really...

178576.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

298682_308194705863727_158554890827710_1450243_94081032_n.jpg

In the front is the "My little pony" theme..

My+Little+Pony+mylittlepony.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

briano wrote: »

I thought bike wheels in Dublin just melted or got tired when locked for long periods to lamposts or raillings. ;)

Sorry to hear about your wheels :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Just ordered a set of ksyrium equipe's and should have them on the bike along with a new chain and cassette on Friday.
    Yeay for spending money! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement