Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Illegal Driver in club matchplay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

btw, I dont want anyone to think that I think what you did was wrong. It wasnt and you were well within your rights. In fact, I'd say you are within rights to claim the match and move through to the next round.

I just wouldnt have done it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Rikand wrote: »
    btw, I dont want anyone to think that I think what you did was wrong. It wasnt and you were well within your rights. In fact, I'd say you are within rights to claim the match and move through to the next round.

Exactly my position too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Where would you draw the line on rules breaches by other players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

If he won the match, would you (accepting your defeat as you say), then inform him that he must not play that club competition again ? Informing his opponent in the next round to check he had listened to you would seem just and fair to that next opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

namloc1980 wrote: »

There is a major difference - in a deliberate breach of rules and non conforming equipment that was previously legal when purchased and the equipment is a disadvantage to the individual and the change of rule is obscure and perhaps unknown to the individual, you not 100 % sure yourself, you losing your match, you knowing it had no impact on outcome.

It is not black and white.

People will say it is the rules - they are black and white , but unusual situations arise in all walks of life. This was a very unusual event.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »

Personally speaking if it was matchplay I would use my judgement as permitted under the rules:

Rule 2-5
    Note 1 "A player may disregard a breach of the Rules by his opponent provided there is no agreement by the sides to waive a Rule (Rule 1-3)."

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Yeah, but only if he bins the Driver right then for the rest of the round. You can't waive the rules, just a breach.

It is not black and white.

People will say it is the rules - they are black and white , but unusual situations arise in all walks of life. This was a very unusual event.

I do think it is black and white. Being unusual just means that the vaste majority of people observe the rule, and that is not for me, grounds to give it any leeway.
    Golf can have rules that are indeed unusual. Ones that are true one-offs and not forseen or catered for in the rules. Or even the Decisions. In effect, the Decisions are an accumulation of these unusual oddities. But the conforming club issue is a rule - obscure to many maybe - but yes black and white nonetheless.

If he won the match, would you (accepting your defeat as you say), then inform him that he must not play that club competition again ? Informing his opponent in the next round to check he had listened to you would seem just and fair to that next opponent.

If you meant to say " That club in competition again "

then yes, I would agree with all of this.

If you meant to say " That club in competition again "

then yes, I would agree with all of this.

Yes, 'in' omitted in error.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but only if he bins the Driver right then for the rest of the round. You can't waive the rules, just a breach.

Fair enough, I wouldn't disagree with that. Wait til you hit off a par 3 or the next hole where he doesn't use the driver, and bring it up.
    That said, if you kept schtum for the whole round you're probably still within the rules yourself. Depends then on how comfortable you are bringing up a breach like a non conforming club. As I said the Op did absolutely nothing wrong, but had he done nothing, he still wouldn't be wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When's the last time we've all checked our grooves? Years old irons not maintained could be deemed illegal as are certain X'd balls IIRC.

Anyhow, it appears OP you needed a few holes to make yourself certain before making a comment and your man should have taken it as within your rights, kept his mouth shut and got on with it, a comment on 18 along the lines of "I disagree with what you said but let's move on" and a handshake would have been more appropriate.
    Whether you like it or not I'd say your rep at that club has taken a nose dive (rightly or wrongly).

Regarding playing the loser of the first round, you can't be CERTAIN he used that club and in any case that result is (rightly or wrongly) final, it may make you feel better to have this option but it really ain't open to you.
    If his club was illegal then it's open and shut, he's DQ and that should be the end of it, if it was me I honestly would not have the knowledge to know this and be able to point it out and if it was pointed out to me then I'd be mortified but not lose the head, take it on the chin and move on.
    PS that driver may have been a difference, without it he may not have been in position to make approaches etc., it's not all about distance.

Interesting to see how this one pans out, that's for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I wouldn't have either...up until the point where he acted like a pr1ck. I think I'd really consider a change after that.

I think OP missed a trick, if the guy lost the plot and I changed my mind. Then I would leave the onus on him to DQ himself or not.
    The OP is prob going to be tarnished unfortunately, I'd prefer to leave the responsibility with the cheat and let him go down as the lad who didn't DQ himself when he should.

Also, IF it got to the stage (and that's only if he was acting the maggot), I think I would give my next opponent a bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Firstly, there is no excuse for using a non conforming driver today. The R&A publish the list (1,165 pages!) of conforming drivers for everyone to see with pictures to help you identify your model. If you are still using one today, you can't claim ignorance. I also believe that today's conforming drivers perform better.

To tell him was the right thing to do. The tough decision was whether to call it on the 10th, effectively ending the match there, or wait to the end. I personally would have waited to the end hoping that I could beat him under my own steam. Even then I would have accepted the loss but mentioned to him that he should check the R&A website before using that driver again. In fact even if I was suspicious, I wouldn't have asked to have a closer look until after the match was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

Then you're not playing golf, you're hitting a ball with a stick!

PARlance wrote: »
    I wouldn't have either...up until the point where he acted like a pr1ck. I think I'd really consider a change after that.

Yeah, but he wouldnt have acted like a pr1ck until the OP quizzed him on his driver. Up till the point, as far as we know, he was a regular guy! ;)

Yeah, but he wouldnt have acted like a pr1ck until the OP quizzed him on his driver. Up till the point, as far as we know, he was a regular guy! ;)

No. Up until that point he was a pr1ck whose pr1ckness just hadnt been revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Golfnut77

Russman wrote: »
    It's up to each player he plays to decide for themselves whether to call him on anything, not up to you or me or anyone else to decide. That's why match play often has subtly different rule applications to stroke play. Why is there an "out" (at least to my reading of it) in Rule 2-5 ?

"Rule 2-5 holds that rules claims must be lodged before the match tees off on the next hole", I was certain walking off the 10th tee that he was using a non conforming driver and so raised my concern there and then.

Why not? I am shocked at the amount of people on this thread that would do nothing when they see a competitor infringing the rules.

Senecio wrote: »
    Firstly, there is no excuse for using a non conforming driver today. The R&A publish the list (1,165 pages!) of conforming drivers for everyone to see with pictures to help you identify your model. If you are still using one today, you can't claim ignorance. I also believe that today's conforming drivers perform better.

Exactly and anyone who decides to play in competitions they are subject to the rules of the game and if they don't abide by them they should be penalised.

• Advertisement

Golfnut77 wrote: »
    "Rule 2-5 holds that rules claims must be lodged before the match tees off on the next hole", I was certain walking off the 10th tee that he was using a non conforming driver and so raised my concern there and then.

And you did absolutely nothing wrong per the rules. My point is that you also had the option, within the rules, to do nothing. That you didn't take the option is in no way a criticism of you, you were 100% correct. Personally I would have taken the other route, and also would still have been correct. I can only assume that whoever wrote the rules realised that certain situations could arise in a match whereby a competitor might feel it best, all things considered, not to penalise an opponent for a breach, by simply saying nothing, while also IMO safeguarding the integrity of the competition by stipulating that it's wrong for competitors to agree to ignore a rule. Presumably the assumption follows that competitors are able to use their judgement, in match play, when/if they should call someone on something. Eg kicking the ball Vs a non-conforming club that the guy may or may not know about.
    Your opponent behaved like a d1ck, no question, and I suspect he knew full well about the driver, I've no sympathy for him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Any update of this OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

The OP has done nothing wrong. The driver is illegal - Any members of his club that blackball him for calling it are clowns.

Personally I would have said nothing and tried to win the match with a view to warning him afterwards but if I'd lost I'd have claimed the match anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

ForeRight wrote: »
    If you are certain it's illegal you should have asked about it the minute you had suspicions. I think waiting until you did and being 3 down was a mistake on your part even though you are probably correct.

If it's illegal it's illegal end of. The fact he went so bananas makes me think he already knows it himself.

Yeah, the very fact he went on a rant suggests he knew damn well he was in the wrong. Basically, you caught him out. Well done. Good on you (o.p.) for having the courage to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Some additional opinions on a similar situation with the exact same driver here - http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/728707-opponent-using-non-conforming-driver/

No. Up until that point he was a pr1ck whose pr1ckness just hadnt been revealed.

Ha. Touché ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Jay that's a tough read above. It's one big giant sentence.

Anyway I don't understand why your round was frosty when he gave you back your clubs after 2 1/2 years? What happened to make it frosty?

Also I think you were bang out of order bringing up an issue after nearly 3 years just because you had the hump with the guy for whatever reasons. Especially due to the fact that at the time you clearly knew he was using an illegal driver yet didn't say anything.

Once you decided not to say anything then that should have been that on your part IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

The opponents reaction tells me that he knew his driver was illegal. So he's a liar and a cheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Any ruling made yet, just about to buy one on done deal? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    The opponents reaction tells me that he knew his driver was illegal. So he's a liar and a cheat.

I think its a bit harsh using language like that against a chap that we know nothing about, apart from what the OP says.

For all we know he didn't know about the driver but his personality trait makes him lose his temper during confrontations. Or he is a liar and a cheat and he reacted like that because of this fact. Admittedly the evidence does lean towards the latter.

Hard to know though and it would be good for balance if he came on here and had a right of reply.

Advertisement