Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"The Man in the Hat stories" - Call for short stories submissions

• 04-03-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone,

My name is Antonio Bernal and I’m an artist and illustrator, creator of the series “The Man in the Hat”.

I’m reaching you to present you a creative, collaborative, writing project: "The Man in the Hat stories" where I’m inviting all creative souls to write short stories based on my artwork. The short stories will be published on The Man the Hat website (www.themaninthehatart.com) and Facebook page (www.facebook.com/thmaninthehatart).

The Man in the Hat is a series of quirky watercolor illustrations, with a strong narrative, but no actual plot behind each scene. Many have suggested the illustrations could make up for a great story, so now is the time to reveal those stories, and it's up to YOU to create, imagine and write them.

The idea with the Man in the Hat stories is to engage the viewers into the creative process and ask them to write whatever story the illustrations inspire to them.

This will an interesting experiment, as typically, stories are written first and then an artist or illustrator is asked to create the artwork based on the text. This time, however, we are trying to do it the other way around, so it should be fun and very interesting to see what the illustrations suggest to different viewers and writers.

How to participate:

• Choose up to three illustrations from the series to inspire and illustrate your story. You can view the complete series on the website gallery (www.themaninthehatart.com/gallery) or the Facebook album (http://tinyurl.com/bcd5jkb)

• Write your story with a word count limit of 3,000 words. It can be as short as you want.

• Email your story to themaninthehatart@gmail.com

For more information, visit: http://www.themaninthehatart.com/stories

Thank you very much for your time. Please do not hesitate to let me know me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Antonio Bernal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Padraiggg?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's only one man in the hat around these parts, sonny.

I really like your drawings though. Would Trent translate well?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

Antonio, you are very talented - but you probably already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheManintheHat

@pickarooney Thanks, glad you liked the illustrations! Not sure I know what you mean by "Would Trent translate well?" sorry :)

@donalh087 Thanks for your kind words! Talent is very relative and subjective but I appreciate your compliment.

Hope someone feels inspired to write a short story for the Man in the Hat! :)

• Advertisement

@pickarooney Thanks, glad you liked the illustrations! Not sure I know what you mean by "Would Trent translate well?" sorry :)

Have a read through this. All will become clear.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62633983

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheManintheHat

I really like your drawings though. Would Trent translate well?
    donalh087 wrote: »
    Antonio, you are very talented - but you probably already know that.
    Have a read through this. All will become clear.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62633983

Haha, alright, now I understand. I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I get a good idea of what's going on in there.

No, I'm not related to pradaiggg or Trent at all, but hey, someone please let padraigggg know, maybe I can illustrate his book ;)

I see a partnership here could have some potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Another man? In another hat? What sorcery is this?

Advertisement