Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish Man in Maynooth.

• 07-09-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Does anyone know what days of the week the fish van is in maynooth? I've seen it once or twice parked on the main street but I've never tried any of the fish.

Anyone buy fish there regularly?

Is it fresh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Have seen these fish vans in a few spots, i'd rather buy from a shop to be honest. There doesnt be any temperature control in the vans.
    Nobody regulates the street traders in them vans so they dont have to comply with any hygiene or SFPA regulations.

I know theres no fish shops in Maynooth though :( Nearest i think is a small one in Naas or Dublin after that.
    I was at the taste of kildare a few weeks back and seems to be a big one opening in Newbridge soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭guil

its there every wednesday and i think thursday aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

niallam wrote: »
    Have seen these fish vans in a few spots, i'd rather buy from a shop to be honest. There doesnt be any temperature control in the vans.
    Nobody regulates the street traders in them vans so they dont have to comply with any hygiene or SFPA regulations.

Oh I didn't know that... Though if the fish is fresh there shouldn't be too much they can have done wrong right?
    I'll just make sure to wash it before cooking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

There's a brand new fish shop after opening in Lucan village. I haven't tried it, but it looks the part from the outside at least!

Its before the topaz petrol station, on the right hand side, after the barbers.

smiles302 wrote: »
    Oh I didn't know that... Though if the fish is fresh there shouldn't be too much they can have done wrong right?
    I'll just make sure to wash it before cooking it.

I saw one fish van selling tuna one friday from the van. With no temperature control something like tuna can be lethal because of histamines :eek:

Have a look on http://www.iasc.ie/ thats where i found my nearest one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭granturismo

[QUOTE=niallam;67887448There doesnt be any temperature control in the vans.[/QUOTE]

Get your facts right. The van was refrigerated and fish on display were on ice. If its still a woman - I was told she drives up from Kilmore Quay.

Get your facts right. The van was refrigerated and fish on display were on ice. If its still a woman - I was told she drives up from Kilmore Quay.

you were told??? Must be true so :rolleyes:
    To comply with the law they need far more than just ice to sell fish....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

There's a brand new fish shop after opening in Lucan village. I haven't tried it, but it looks the part from the outside at least!

Its before the topaz petrol station, on the right hand side, after the barbers.

I got two tuna steaks off these guys yesterday and they were fantastic, for anyone interested.

No, i have no attachment to this shop before anyone asks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭granturismo

niallam wrote: »
    you were told??? Must be true so :rolleyes:
    To comply with the law they need far more than just ice to sell fish....

Which law and what more do they need?

Do you work for a fish shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

There is a man (from Donegal, I think) selling fresh fish on a Thursday in the Lidl carpark in Leixlip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭trudub

where in maynooth is this guy? Do you know what times?

Advertisement