Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solidarity with Israelis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Denerick wrote: »
    All I'm saying is that its uncanny that a group supposedly experiencing ethnic cleansing have actually grown.
    Yet their lands and autonomy have massively shrunk. You seem to avoid that thorny point.
    And what discrimination do you speak of? Certainly the only legal discrimination is positive - Muslims are exempt, for example, from compulsory military service.
    No really, now you are actually having a laugh. Ironically they're not unlike how a fully Islamic state would be run. On the military front non Muslims would be "exempt" too, but its not any advantage. Its a very clever way of controlling the demographics of the military. Quite a few states have pulled that one in the past. Imagine if 20% of the IDF were Arab? Yes that might get interesting alright.
    There may well be some cultural discrimination, but no worse than the fate of Muslims in France or the UK.
    I actually Lolled. Other than not comparing like with like, I think you'll find Muslims are not being thrown out of their houses and off their land to have same houses buldozed by the French army and rebuilt for "Pure French" settlers newly arrived from Guyana.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

the only legal discrimination is positive - Muslims are exempt, for example, from compulsory military service.

There may well be some cultural discrimination, but no worse than the fate of Muslims in France or the UK.

Muslims in France aren't allowed marry Jewish partners?

http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/country,,IRBC,,ISR,,42df61143e,0.html
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3381978,00.html
    http://coteret.com/2010/02/24/tel-aviv-presents-municipal-program-to-prevent-arab-boys-from-dating-jewish-girls/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Lee Harvey Oswald and the IRA have no comparison, for one thing Oswald was a lone wolf with no significant group or support behind him. THe IRA were waging a war against the British State. The reaction would have been catastrophic, extreme repression inevitable, and a virulently anti-Paddy general election would take place. Granted, I doubt actual anarchy would have ensued, but the consequences would have been massive. The same goes for Israel, though I fear the consequences would be greater still, as the Palestinians, compared to the IRA, are much more effective in sowing terror and killing innocent civilians.

The consequences wouldn't have been massive, because that's not how either the UK, or British people, work. I was living in the UK at the time, as an Irishman, and there was no such reaction, and no hint of the "catastrophic" reaction you believe in. It may be the case for Israel, but it has never been close to being the case for the UK.

I've been to Israel, and the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe that you might be right in the case of Israel, but I'll say it again - you brought yourselves there, and the Israeli government seems to be doing its best to keep you there. It's probably true that that's not sustainable.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

taconnol wrote: »
    To see an account of anti-Arab attitudes in Israel, don't take my word for it, look at the Association for Civil Rights in Israel:

http://www.acri.org.il/eng/story.aspx?id=695

Points of note include:

*Several legislative bills attempted to limit freedom of expression in an unprecedented manner: the “Nakba Law” would have rendered marking Israel’s Independence Day as a day of mourning (many members of the Arab minority mark this day as the "Nakba" or catastrophe) punishable with imprisonment and the “Loyalty Law” would have ordered the cancellation of the citizenship of those who do not pledge loyalty to the State.

*Though Arab citizens of Israel have suffered entrenched discrimination since the establishment of the State, they have faced particularly vicious attacks on their political and civil rights in the past year. Many of the trends mentioned above have affected Israel’s minority most acutely such as the proposed “Nakba Law” and “Loyalty Law.” Moreover, Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman announced that whoever did not serve in the military or complete national service would not be accepted to the Foreign Ministry’s training course; Education Minister Gideon Sa’ar announced plans to offer financial incentives for schools with high military induction rates. These conditions blatantly infringe on the rights of Arab citizens to equality because they generally do not serve in the army but the conditions also discriminate against Haredim (ultra-Orthodox Jews), people with disabilities, and others. The proposals also reinforce the notion - held among many - that Arab citizens constitute a fifth column.

*The Right to Adequate Housing - If you are “one of us”: ACRI has documented many instances of illegal discrimination in various housing projects against Arabs, religious groups, members of lower socio-economic classes, and others through acceptance committees, acquisition groups, and other mechanisms.

For a group of people supposedly suffering massive ethnic cleansing and repression, thats hardly a damning list. For one thing, the exemption from military service is common sense - as Muslims are a minority who by and large do not identify with the Jewish State. Furthermore religious students (Jewish) are also exempted - are they also been treated as suspicious aliens, or is it because it is morally egregious for them to serve in the national military? Muslims are still free to serve in the army, and do.

The repressive legislation you mention is hardly directed solely at Muslims - Turkey for example (The most westernised of Muslim countries anywhere) has laws against offending 'Turkishness'. The Nobel Literature laureate Orhan pamuk spent time in jail for criticising the Turking treatment of Armenians. The concept of introducing legislation 'defending' nationality is hardly limited to Israel, and is not a direct affront on the Muslim minority.

furthermore, curbs on people who did not serve in the military (Which affects Jews and Christians also) is a consequence of the exemption in the first place - these curbs would no apply if the Muslim individuals in question voluntarily decided to serve in the army. So it is not a blanket discrimination, as you seem to be alledging.

Furthermore, emphasis on the illegal discrimination you just mentioned. Thanks for proving my point for me.
    Why the obsession with trying to compare this scenario to others. To be frank, it wouldn't matter if Muslims were treated dreadfully in France, it would do nothing to change the fact that Arabs and Muslims are badly treated in Israel. This tactic is old, transparent and boring repetitive. Give it up.

Arabs and Muslims are badly treated in France too. The key difference is that the discrimination is of a cultural kind, not legal. Just as it is in Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

Genocide against Palestinians has been since 1960's .The Palestinians are been squeezed to death.The Truth will always be the Truth.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yet their lands and autonomy have massively shrunk. You seem to avoid that thorny point.

Eh... No I'm not. You seem to be confusing Israel and Palestine once again.
    No really, now you are actually having a laugh. Ironically they're not unlike how a fully Islamic state would be run. On the military front non Muslims would be "exempt" too, but its not any advantage. Its a very clever way of controlling the demographics of the military. Quite a few states have pulled that one in the past. Imagine if 20% of the IDF were Arab? Yes that might get interesting alright.

How you consider a (reasonably) secular Republic which discriminates in favour of its Muslim minority to be anything like an Islamic state is beyond me.
    I actually Lolled. Other than not comparing like with like, I think you'll find Muslims are not being thrown out of their houses and off their land to have same houses buldozed by the French army and rebuilt for "Pure French" settlers newly arrived from Guyana.

This is rather tiring. These bad things are happening in Palestine, not Israel. Please do try to keep to the point.

the discrimination is of a cultural kind, not legal. Just as it is in Israel.

A ban on intermarriage isn't a legal matter? Doesn't sound like anything a 'reasonably' secular state would engage in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Nor do I believe that the assassination of, say, the Israeli Prime Minister and his entire Cabinet would cause "massive political instability" - unless you mean that the reaction of Israel would be so extreme as to amount to a military takeover of the state. Harking back to some of what has been said about the ordinary Israeli on the street, that might be the case - perhaps the general population of Israel is paranoid and aggressive enough to allow their army loyalties to supersede their civic ones. But if that is the case, you got yourselves there - the UK, despite your belief in the efficacy of bombing, never even came close to coming close to such a situation. Indeed, the UK never came close to such a situation when it was under threat from military forces that had taken all of Europe and were biting into Russia.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Political assassination and terrorism can have an effect on politics though, you only have to look at Yitzhak Rabins assassination for that, the momentum that he carried the Israeli state on towards a more peaceful situation was lost and only a year later Netanyahu was elected to his first disasterous term.

Then theres the Madrid bombings which occurred just before the Spanish elections in 2004 which led to a swing in support towards Zapotero and defeat for the incumbents. That then led to the withdrawal of the Spanish forces involved in the Iraq campaign.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Then theres the Madrid bombings which occurred just before the Spanish elections in 2004 which led to a swing in support towards Zapotero and defeat for the incumbents. That then led to the withdrawal of the Spanish forces involved in the Iraq campaign.
    Does that series of events coincide with your definition of "massive political instability"?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Untrue. The PP got hammered for lying about the bombings and blaming ETA when it was clear it wasn't ETA's doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The scale is nowhere near the same, there are no Israeli settlements in the Sinai (Long since returned to Egypt) or Gaza. Which is why I think the 'ethnic cleansing' claim is quite lame, especially when you take into account that 16% of the population of Israel is Muslim and that they benefit from an affirmative action, positive discrimination policy. There's a very obvious reason to explain why very few Muslim suicide bombers actually hail from within the confines of the Israeli State.

The West Bank. There are a few hundred thousand settlers and a few million palestinians. You may have heard of it. Or maybe not, going on the above.

I suggest reading the following, from an Israeli group.
    http://www.btselem.org/English/Settlements/

Why are we discussing this in a thread called "Solidarity with Israelis" when theres already a pre-existing thread here on the specific subject...?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828565

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eh... No I'm not. You seem to be confusing Israel and Palestine once again.
    With your impressive ability to change goalposts head groundskeeper in the aviva stadium should be a shoe in.

OK let me be clear. Hey let me use your terms. How much of Palestine is left compared to Israel and how much has changed hands in the last 40 years? Real simple, real clear. No amount of debate can change this point. Colonisation, ethnic cleansing, government driven ghettoisation, Zionist success, call it what you will but its plain for all to see.

How you consider a (reasonably) secular Republic which discriminates in favour of its Muslim minority to be anything like an Islamic state is beyond me.
    Annnnd we've the GAA posts up now. FYI I didnt, I explained why such military exemptions are fostered in many states. It protects the strong arm of the governments involved. This is either an overt "exemption" or a tacit agreement to keep one group or groups out of the loop or low down in the pecking order. How many Irish catholics ended up in command in British forces when we were part of empire? Enough joined up so why not?

This is rather tiring. These bad things are happening in Palestine, not Israel. Please do try to keep to the point.
    Someone earlier questioned your sense of irony. That copperfastens the answer.

Again real simple, join the dots time, keep the crayon inside the line(the latter it seems a bit of a problem for successive Israeli cartographers). Can you explain the changing ratios of Palestine lands to Israels lands over time and the advantageous weight to one group over another. No double talk, no changing tack, just some sort of explanation.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I have been mute on israeli settlements in Palestine, because like most people I consider them an abomination and see no point in joining in the chorus of disapproval over them. All I am trying to say in this thread is that Israeli Muslims are not legally discriminated against, certainly not in the sense some people here would like to believe. That is all.

I have been mute on israeli settlements in Palestine, because like most people I consider them an abomination and see no point in joining in the chorus of disapproval over them. All I am trying to say in this thread is that Israeli Muslims are not legally discriminated against, certainly not in the sense some people here would like to believe. That is all.

Well they are discriminated against, the bedouin worst of all.

However the claim of a system like apartheid refers to the treatment meted out in the OT. I find your mention of Gaza and the Sinai and then the failure to remember the West Bank, Arab East Jerusalem and the Golan rather worrying.

I have been mute on israeli settlements in Palestine, because like most people I consider them an abomination and see no point in joining in the chorus of disapproval over them.
    Oh I agree. The real problem is that these settlements have been going on for the guts of 40 years contracting arab land year by year. While I am defo no fan of the notion of a Muslim state and all that stuff, if I were an Arab in that part of th world, watching this contraction I'm pretty sure I would be more than WTF?!!. As quite a few Jews are and are outspoken about. More and more those moderates are being drowned out though. Even on the oul interweb we can see this. People have been linking to various things with this situation. The Jerusalem Post ones can be enlightening. The comment sections most of all. Any questioning of policy is met with rabid attacks on the author, even if said author is backing Israel. Ditto any moderate voices. The posters from the US are disturbingly rabid. Then again asking an American Israel supporter for policy input is for the most part like asking an Irish american Bostonian for policy input on Ulster. :rolleyes: all over the place.
    All I am trying to say in this thread is that Israeli Muslims are not legally discriminated against, certainly not in the sense some people here would like to believe. That is all.
    There are a lot of legal restrictions. In the contact points between Israel and the palestinian territories, but also within Israel itself. Marriage laws, the legal requirement to have ethnicity on ID cards. Its not far off yellow bloody stars of david. There is defo a difference going on between resident and citizen. The Jewish diaspora have an automatic right to Israeli citizenship. The Arabs living there are a slightly different story. It was posted earlier but is worth the read. http://www.acri.org.il/eng/story.aspx?id=695

Nodin wrote: »
    Well they are discriminated against, the bedouin worst of all.

However the claim of a system like apartheid refers to the treatment meted out in the OT. I find your mention of Gaza and the Sinai and then the failure to remember the West Bank, Arab East Jerusalem and the Golan rather worrying.

Of course I 'remembered' the places you mentioned, I'm just saying that over the last 20 years the tide of change has moved away from further settlements and the abandonment of the idea of a Greater Israel.

Of course I 'remembered' the places you mentioned, I'm just saying that over the last 20 years the tide of change has moved away from further settlements and the abandonment of the idea of a Greater Israel.

...in 1996 there were 139,000 settlers in the West Bank alone. Now theres over 290,000. Illegal "outposts" are still founded and ignored by the authorities, and incentives to move to the settlements continue. That doesn't look very like "abandonment" to me.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...in 1996 there were 139,000 settlers in the West Bank alone. Now theres over 290,000. Illegal "outposts" are still founded and ignored by the authorities, and incentives to move to the settlements continue. That doesn't look very like "abandonment" to me.

I know. There can be no peace without the withdrawal of the settlements (East Jerusalem is another matter entirely, I'm not sure its entirely reasonable for the settlements to end since the city was originally conceived of as a UN administered area, and I think that would be the best solution in the future.)

But the fact is that Sharon pulled out of Gaza. That was a significant statement of future intent, and put an end to ultra orthodox dreams of a greater Israel.

But the fact is that Sharon pulled out of Gaza. That was a significant statement of future intent, and put an end to ultra orthodox dreams of a greater Israel.

Sharon was fairly clear in his intent allright....
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3720176.stm

Protecting 8,000 settlers with 30,000 troops was considered unviable. They were relocated to the West Bank, and theres been a pick up in settlement expansion there and in and around Arab east Jerusalem since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I asked this question on another thread but it was off topic and the thread was closed. I thin it is ok for this thread, if not mods just delete my post.
    Is support of IsraeL and Israels reasons for expansion basd on biblical reasons (god promised them the land) or more of fear of another holocaust?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

fontanalis wrote: »
    I asked this question on another thread but it was off topic and the thread was closed. I thin it is ok for this thread, if not mods just delete my post.
    Is support of IsraeL and Israels reasons for expansion basd on biblical reasons (god promised them the land) or more of fear of another holocaust?

It seems to be both. I've seen many settlers justify the land grab by saying that god granted them the land in the bible. I've also seen the same people, and others, say that if their enemies got the chance, there would be another holocaust, which quite frankly is ridiculous.

It seems to be both. I've seen many settlers justify the land grab by saying that god granted them the land in the bible. I've also seen the same people, and others, say that if their enemies got the chance, there would be another holocaust, which quite frankly is ridiculous.

Not so ridiculous. Israel is despised by the average Palestinian and Hamas is ludicrously anti-Semitic. As are many of the States bordering Israel. Without US support, a second holocaust would be quite conceivable in Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Not so ridiculous. Israel is despised by the average Palestinian and Hamas is ludicrously anti-Semitic. As are many of the States bordering Israel. Without US support, a second holocaust would be quite conceivable in Israel.

Who is going to bring a 2nd Holocaust against the Jews. Who has the capacity and the inclination to do so.

Who is going to bring a 2nd Holocaust against the Jews. Who has the capacity and the inclination to do so.

Millions of angry Arabs.

Millions of angry Arabs.

:rolleyes:

Which army. Which state. How will they come close to defeating the Israeli army and it's reservists, even without US support.

:rolleyes:

Which army. Which state. How will they come close to defeating the Israeli army and it's reservists, even without US support.

I'm saying its conceivable. The will is there, as is the inclination. The only thing really stopping it is US support and a ****load of Nukes.

Or have you already forgotten the Iranian Presidents stated desire to wipe Israel off the map?

I'm saying its conceivable. The will is there, as is the inclination. The only thing really stopping it is US support and a ****load of Nukes.

The only thing that's stopping it is the absence of anyone with the ability and inclination to bring it about.
    Or have you already forgotten the Iranian Presidents stated desire to wipe Israel off the map?

You obviously have no understanding of internal Iranian politics if you think he can impose his will. There is also a huge difference between eliminating the Israeli state and bringing about a genocide, if he wanted to do that he could start with Iranian Jewish MPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Reply back to WIBBS with apology for delay and inability to use those nice little boxes others seem to be able to !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irlandese
    Personally, I am fairly familiar with palestinian fears and misery and the deep corruption and abuse of power by their own leaders for generations. Arafat was the worst but certainly not the only disgraceful abuser of power in their history. I am lately learning more about the Israeli context. Now I am constantly comparing the opposing models of a secular, successful, would-be peaceful, gender-equal western society in an admittedly imperfect Israel to a backward, violent, misoginistic, extremist Islamic society that the Hamas zealots are trying to create in gaza.
    For all your talk of objectivity, you've taken sides just as much as anyone else and this is how this tends to go down. The influx of devout/fundamental Jewish settlers are just as backward, violent, misogynistic, extremist bunch of zealots as the Islamic ones. While the west is more aware of and knowledgeable about Islamic fundamentalists, it seems to be largely ignorant of the Jewish version.

My Comment back >
    Sorry I am late replying. I am just back. Thanks for a reasoned and polite commentary.
    I have taken positions on a lot of sides, not necessarily always on the same sides, where for example Israel is very wrong on the blockade of Gaza but right to defend it’s citizens strenuously against Islamic extremists. Nothing in life is black and white. You also seem to ignore my stated opposition to Zionists and generally to settlers. The “generally” bit also hopefully shows some openness to seeing them have their own places and ways of living, but NOT at the expense of poor Palestinians being bulldozed from their rightful homes and farms. I think you are wrong too about the West not being aware of Zionist ( not Jewish, mind you ) extremism. After all, for years the UN cited Zionism as a racist doctrine.<

That awareness and indeed the rise of the Islamic version is actually quite a new thing. Precious few people would have had much of an opinion on Islam in the 70's, even with the PLO in the news on a very regular basis. That only started with the Iranian revolution. Even then it wasnt to the fore. The subsequent religious fatwa on Salman Rushdie would be the real kick off point, where the "Islamic religious nutbag" notion kicked off. It really kicked off after 911. People forget that when the USSR invaded Afghanistan, people were rooting for and admiring of the Islamic Mujahideen while watching Sandy Galls reports from Afghanistan. Western governments were throwing money at them too. How times change. They went from freedom fighter poster boys to the must be wiped out at all costs religious nutters in pretty short order, when it suited. The same people. So you will forgive my cynicism on this.

My comment back>
    Islamic fundamentalism is a little more complicated and a lot older than this part of your post implies. My own opposition to the behavior of Hamas relates here to their terrorism against their own people first and their use of those same Palestinians as cannon fodder in their war with Israel. Which war, in turn, they are manipulating and keeping alive and as bloody as possible to further their religious bigotry and vision of a world controlled by misogynistic, medieval, ignorant murderers. IMV, you are introducing and confusing a lot of points here about US State dept. manipulation of these same manipulators, under, among others, Edward Peck, formerly that great humanitarian, Ronald Reagan’s Deputy Director of the US State Dept’s Counter terrorism ( read this as “ Wet work and really dirty deeds dept. ) who was a passenger activist on the ship boarded by Israeli commandos. His biased commentary to the media re that case begs all sorts of questions re who was manipulating who here. <

It can also be very easy to argue that the rise of Islamic nutbaggery is a direct result of Israel and the US influence in the region. I'm pretty much convinced that the ME wouldnt be the ME problem if Israel wasnt there. I dnot blame Israel so much. Or the US. I blame the old colonial powers that have fcuked over Arab and Jew in the region for the past 200 years. The French, the Italians, the British and the Germans. The latter of course really topped it all off.
    Quote:
    Yes, they are also wonderfully supportive of their people in many useful ways, but simultaneously terribly corrupting and violent in their promotion of Islamic extremism and violence through naked terror, onto their own people.
    You could say almost exactly the same thing of the Israelis. Israelis are raised with fear and mistrust of "others" and a right to the land, any land they define as Israel as a constant companion in their lives. Just as brainwashed as their opposites. Zionist extremism is cut through the society like words in a stick of rock. Its gotten worse not better too. Again I recall in Ireland of the 70's much more tacit support for Israel, even with the PLO/IRA conenction. I knew a fair few people who traveled there and lived in kibuttzes and only one I knew was Jewish.

My comment back>
    Here you are way out of line. Israel is a democratic, secular state with a well developed legal system and a strong code of law and public ethics. Mistakes are being made and people need to be held to account and will be. But to compare Israel to a gang of perverted, corrupt, misogynistic religious fundamentalist madmen ( yes, they are all men ) who cynically send children as suicide bombers to kill civilians, is beyond any limit of good sense or moral reasoning.<

Quote:
    Remember Northern Ireland and then the Armagh bombing?? For Hamas, a rocket fired into Israel is not a success, unless it brings a helicopter gunship attack response, to hopefully kill a lot of hopefully "TV photogenic young and old" palestinians to force more teenagers to join their madness and more bloggers to support their insidious campaigns. Remember the Paul Brady song about cynically using the young to fight the wars of old men? ? He was singing about Northern Ireland, but now I only see the youth of the Intifada when I play it, alone at night, in my quiet home, far from their pain and rage and hopelessness.
    Again you could say similar of the Israelis. It suits the Zionist hawks when palestinians lob bombs or strap semtex to kids. It gives them the moral high ground and the opportunity to steal, yes steal even more land and property from the arabs.

My comment back>
    I answered this above. Next, you will be comparing Fr.Brendan Smith the paedofile priest to St Martin de Porres because they both wore robes . <

Quote:
    I am now so convinced about the biased direction in which this international "anti - Israel at all costs" campaign is going that, despite being non-jewish, anti-zionist and generally anti-settler, I can clearly see the logic and the moral imperative for going there to fight to help Israel to survive and prosper.
    Well I would suggest you think more on this and rejig your moral compass. Or realise that moral compasses rarely point to true north and if they do its only temporarily. If you feel you're anti Zionist and generally anti settler(whatever that generally means?) then it makes your moral mission largely redundant. At best the state of Israel is Zionist. Well duh of course it is. If it wasnt it wouldnt have even gotten started. Thats not the issue. The issue is that this Zionism has become more bloodied over time. With the huge influx of radical Zionists since the fall of the soviet bloc(and other things), the need for land to settle them has gone off the scale. They have been stealing land by violence and intimidation of the arab population.

My comment back >
    I have commented above re some of your own inappropriate moral judgements re comparing Israel with that gang of madmen, Hamas. I respectfully and honestly suggest you need to read up a bit on Zionism and discover why and how Israel is still not yet a Zionist state and hopefully will never become one. This is too serious an issue for such inaccuracies.<

Do we really have to link this picture again? http://www.arendt-art.de/deutsch/pal...R/index.14.JPG Just look at the difference over time. Look how small the green bits get. Have the Palestinians died off through some weird disease? Are they having less children? Have they willingly walked away from land they lived on for generations? Forget if you can that its Israel. Forget Arab/Jew. Both those ethnic descriptions bring waaaay too much baggage. Baggage both sides are only too willing to carry too. Imagine that you're looking at Ireland. Imagine the white areas are Irish American's who decided after WW2 that they were the true sons of Eireann(tm) and had a right to settle en masse. A right to claim by force lands the indigenous population saw as their own and that population got squeezed into smaller and smaller areas. Ghettos by any other name. We are all too quick to point the finger at England for its abuse of this nation in the past and by god they tried this tactic, but it never went to that stage even at the height of Cromwellian planter thought. Not even close. If those green bits were Jewish settlements I would be signing up to fight in an international brigade.
    Quote:
    I have decided that I would volunteer tommorrow, to join a new International Brigade, a-la- the Spanish International Brigade fighting against Franco in Spain, to go there and defend their right to secure borders, were such a proposal to take legs.
    Which borders? The 1967 UN mandated ones? With respect, you're having a laugh. Judging by the obvious is obvious demographic changes in Israel in the last 40 years they have little trouble securing their borders. Objectively its laughable TBH. They would have far less of a problem securing their borders, if they didnt keep moving them.
    Quote:
    To expand just a little, I would envisage that such a "Brigade" could clearly work with Palestinians too, in relevant administrative, legal, military and social activities, but only under the direct control of a secular Israeli command structure.
    Which would have to remove the non secular religious/Zionist settlers from that structure by your own definitions. The Isreali command structure exists largely to back those people up. Do they protect existing Arab settlements from the land grabs? No. Do they facilitate such land grabs? Yes.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karma_
    You invoke the spirit of the Spanish Civil war and then claim if the International Brigade were to organise nowadays it would be to go and protect Israel?

The Brigade was a left wing force, there is no way it could ever fight for a Right Wing government. I think the analogy you are seeking is from the Eoin O'Duffy perspective.
    Indeed it is. The PLO were left wing, long before they were Islamist. They had many connections with marxist terrorists including the IRA. Conflating the international brigades with helping Israel is a bit of a stretch. Indeed I would reckon said international brigade types would be fighting for the Palestinians more than the Israelis.

My comment back>
    More bad reasoning here. The current users of the title “IRA” are not Marxists, They are drug-dealing, child-molesting, ordinary citizen terrorizing fascists. The PLO was Arafats private gang and have their own dirty secrets to hide. They are very far from Marxist principles. <

I think I will not try to reply peacemeal to anyone again. I lost the box contents twice so forgive any errors or shortness of patience !

• Advertisement

The will and the inclination eh? That's some insight. There's bucketloads of animosity between lots of neighbouring states, particularly ones that have been at war, and yet the only one at risk of holocaust is Israel? That's extra special alright.

That stated desire that wasn't actually stated?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Ahmadinejad_and_Israel

Advertisement