Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

• 01-10-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

I want to buy the Kindle Touch (wi-fi model) thats advertised in the US for $99. If I buy it through a company like www.myus.com and have it delivered to Ireland (I know I'll be charged for customs), will it work in Ireland? Will I be able to buy books off the US Amazon website, and more importantly- will there be ads on the Kindle, as the $99 one is the ad supported Kindle. Pls advise!!!
    Post edited by pleasant Co. on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wireless it will work - but as the item has to be registered, this is where you might thereafter run into problems.
    If you register it with your Irish(?) address, the Amazon site depending on how it does it, might see where your trying to get stuff from. Depending on item and country rights restrictions, there could be problems.
    As you might know stuff from the Amazon.co.uk for example, cannot be bought for some America based ones and visa-versa.
    Long story short - you might find yourself in a right complicated jam!

I would suggest in all honesty, you try waiting till they are officially released over here - as hard as that might be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Thanks for the advice. I decided to take the plunge and purchased the Kindle from amazon.com. It ended up being more expensive but hopefully I'll save money on books now.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

can you let us know how you get on with it? i also want to purchase one.
    thanks,
    Eoin

Yeah, I'll let you know when it arrives. I bought the new version- its only $79 in USA, but they have ads on the Kindle which brings the price down. I had to buy the ad-free version which is the same, but without the ads, for $109. They added about $20 for shipping and another $20 for the customs, but I think that will cover the customs in Ireland? So about $150 altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭johnayo

kaji wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll let you know when it arrives. I bought the new version- its only $79 in USA, but they have ads on the Kindle which brings the price down. I had to buy the ad-free version which is the same, but without the ads, for $109. They added about $20 for shipping and another $20 for the customs, but I think that will cover the customs in Ireland? So about $150 altogether

I presume that this is not the Touch version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

It's this one I think which seems to be the only one available to buy (and it isn't touch):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051QVF7A?country=IE

kaji - let us know if this is the one and also what you think of it when you get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I bought my Kindle in PCWorld so u night want to check prices there as well.

Hey, OP here. This is the Kindle I bought- the non-touch one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051QVF7A

I ordered it on Sunday and it arrived on Wednesday (yesterday). I was shocked at how fast the delivery was from America. When I bought it from Amazon.com, the total was : $157.28

Item(s) Subtotal: $109.00
    Shipping & Handling: $20.98
    Total Before Tax: $129.98
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    Import Fees Deposit $27.30
    Total for This Shipment: $157.28

I thought the $27.30 was to cover the customs but then DHL charged me €19.50 when they delived the Kindle to me, so dunno if I can try and get something back off Amazon cos feel like I paid the customs twice. Oh well.

Anyway, the Kindle is way nicer in the flesh than it is in pictures on the web. I actually thought it was ugly first when they announced it but I'm glad I chose this model now. It's grey in colour, and has 4 buttons and a D-pad on the bottom. It's the perfect size really. I read about 70 pages of a book last night and found it so easy- lying in bed, I didn't have to constantly turn pages and prop the book open. It's so easy to use, and looks so cool.

My friends will be so jealous when they see it, it's unlike anything else I've seen before. It actually looks like real paper. The screen reflects light, so it was harder to read at night with a lamo on the other side of the room so wanna buy one of those leather covers with a light for it, don't really need one as I could just move the lamp but what the hell! Gonne look for a cheap one off dealextreme or some site like that.

Overall, I'm so glad I bought it- it's not distracting reading on it as it is trying to read something on a laptop. I was worried that it would just be a novelty for me but I read loads last night and I haven't read a book in about 6 months so that's proof! I used to read loads as a child but got out of the habit, so aim to read about 3 books a month with this! Got about 200 books uploaded on it now, love Calibre. It's like itunes for your Kindle. Download it now and you can see what it's like before you buy the Kindle. I'll upload pics later cos only have my camera phone on me.

Kaji ~ great review .... thanks.

Looking forward to seeing some pics later!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Hi Guys,
    There's a lot of talk about kindles at the moment - and I thought that I would share my experiences/views
    First thing - like a lot of you I tend to research a lot before I buy technology.
    I've been thinking about a kindle for a while and I bought today

Currently there are a number of options - and a number of options coming on stream.

Kindle Touch (Basic Model)
    Kindle Keyboard (Basic Model)
    Kindle Keyboard (Basic + 3G).
    Kindle Touch 3G (Near Future)
    Kindle Fire (Near Future)

At the moment - what you can buy in Ireland - In a shop.
    Kindle Keyboard - (Currys and PC World - 129 Euro)
    Kindle Keyboard + 3G ( 179 Euro)
    Kindle Touch (Will be available soon)

You can't order from Amazon.co.uk - only Amazon.com.
    The three above are available on amazon.com as now with the touch 3G and the fire available for pre-order.

I chose the keyboard version - because - at the moment I think it represents the best value - it has more storage space than the basic kindle touch - it also has an audio jack/support for audio books and 4GB memory. If they were one on one it terms of features - I would have gone with the touch - however it seems that the lowest end touch is less of an e-reader than the kindle keyboard. Also currently there is no integrated book light available (has to be pre-ordered) for the touch.
    I didn't bother with the 3G - as to be honest - I want something to read on - I currently read using the kindle app on the iphone and find the bright display and the other apps competing and interrupting. Also I reckon this experimental browsing is going to be limited sometime in the future.

I chose to buy in Ireland because the price is a better if you work out the customs and shipping and everything.
    Also no hassle bringing back if there is a problem.

Anyways what I bought was - the Kindle Keyboard Wifi from Currys - 129.
    One other important thing here - there is no limitation to ordering Kindle accessories from Amazon.co.uk. I ordered the book cover with light for 40 odd sterling from amazon.co.uk - including super saver delivery.
    The other alternative were more expensive - it worked out about 70 from Amazon.com and is 60+ euros in-store in currys.
    The only cheaper option I can see is maybe duty free for the above.

On the kindle fire - this isn't an e-reader - they are two different beasts - and I think that it will fall between two stools.
    In terms of hardware - supposedly its a loss leader for Amazon - with the components costing more than the retail price - however I can't honestly see its being a better e-reader (not e-ink) than the kindle keyboard or kindle touch.
    In terms the kindle fire being a cheap tablet - I think that it will have possibilities once there are hacks available for it - however at the moment - its effectively only a media selling platform for US amazon customers.
    I reckon that there are going to be big cost reductions on tablets in the next 6 months and - lots of new ones comming out.
    Amazon are timing well for making this a hyped sold/out Christmas product - however - the big question is whether there will be a viable alternative OS for it in place over the next few months - and whether or not the competitors will have moved on in the meanwhile.
    I can honestly see a scenario in the next year or two where mobile operators - offer free ipads with data plans and subscriptions.
    Anyways I'm diverging ! hopefully people looking at kindles/ereaders will find this useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Don't think you should have had to pay extra to the courier. I suppose circumstances can vary but I bought mine in August and the payment at checkout to Amazon.com included shipping and import duties and I wasn't asked for anymore. I'd chase that up if I were you.
    I have the Kindle keyboard 3G - never use the 3G or the keyboard so that newer model looks great but I love my kindle

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Also regarding a light and a cover - a friend has the official amazon leather cover with integrated light and the cover is lovely really nice quality but i wasn't impressed with the light so much. Because it is in the top corner it seems to light three quarters of the page well and the rest very badly - I felt.
    I bought a cheapo cover and light on ebay - cos I'm a cheapskate. I'm happy with both. The cover isn't too bulky but does the job and the light folds up into itself when not in use and slides onto the cover when needed and is effective. One thing though the metal clip of the light tends to scratch the 'leather' of the cover so I'm thinking a little bit of tape to muffle the edges. And I saw the light for sale the other day in HomeStore & More for 1.99. So shop around. There are lots of options and a range of prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

DHL charged me €19.50 when they delived the Kindle

That seems very dodgy. When I read up on Import Fees Deposit I understood it to be customs tax which could be redeemed if it was not required. I definitely could be wrong but I would look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 scum01

Hey thanks so much for your post! I've been looking into buying a Kindle today and your logic about 3g and internet ordering are spot on. I was worried about finding it in stores here as PC World/Currys dont advertise it on their websites but I guess I will just have to pop in and have a look!

scum01 wrote: »
    Hey thanks so much for your post! I've been looking into buying a Kindle today and your logic about 3g and internet ordering are spot on. I was worried about finding it in stores here as PC World/Currys dont advertise it on their websites but I guess I will just have to pop in and have a look!
    No worries - hopefully it's of use - if you ring the currys number on the website they can tell you what's in stock and in what shops - save you a trip ! It's mad anyways that people are going to the extremes they are (and the prices) to buy kindles

Just one other comment on the kindles - they are brilliant - however they are only good for reading - nothing else - I've used the web over it over the last few days - however I would still even buy books over the iPhone or laptop - the web browser on the kindle would equate to something from the 80's :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Nice post Richard. I got a kindle a week ago - need to finish off a couple of books before moving over to it though. Getting great use out of it already by sending blog posts to it that I read on the bus on the way into work - just install the Readability plugin to your browser and then send any web page to it - works great!

Keedowah wrote: »
    Nice post Richard. I got a kindle a week ago - need to finish off a couple of books before moving over to it though. Getting great use out of it already by sending blog posts to it that I read on the bus on the way into work - just install the Readability plugin to your browser and then send any web page to it - works great!

Readability is nice - didn't realise you could add it on the kindle.

One other bit of info that people might find handy - I use the following

http://ebooks.addall.com/amazonfree.html

it does a meta search and throws up lots of books that are free in the amazon store - a lot of it is crap - however you get some good ones as well - sometimes even famous authors reduce their ebook prices to zero for a little while

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

Great post! Thanks very much. I think I've been convinced! It's easy to be swayed by all the shiny new things, but as you said, all I want is an ereader!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

Oh one more thing, does it have to be amazon kindle books that you download, or can you download any type of ebook/pdf?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Oh one more thing, does it have to be amazon kindle books that you download, or can you download any type of ebook/pdf?
    You can download any type of ebook/pdf to the kindle, EXCEPT epub ones.

These can be converted to read on kindles using Calibre software BUT ONLY works with non-drm protected epub files.

Calibre also acts as a handy itunes type library for your books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

humbert wrote: »
    That seems very dodgy. When I read up on Import Fees Deposit I understood it to be customs tax which could be redeemed if it was not required. I definitely could be wrong but I would look into it.

I asked amazon about this

You are now connected to BalaNaveen from Amazon.com.
    Me:Hello there,
    I have a question in regards to the improt fees deposit
    BalaNaveen:Hello, my name is BalaNaveen. Welcome to Amazon.com! I'll be happy to help you today.
    Me:thanks
    if i pay the import fee deposit, but still have to pay a charge on delivery, can i get a refund. look at post 8 on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056406617
    is it a double payment
    the import fee deposit is $36.95 but this person still paid €19.50 on delivery
    BalaNaveen:Amazon Export Sales will estimate and collect an import fees deposit to certain destination countries.
    These funds will be used by the carrier or another agent to pay the import fees on your behalf to the appropriate authorities when your package reaches the destination country.
    The estimated import fees deposit will be displayed in the cost summary on the last page of our online order form, just before you submit your order.
    Me:what happens in the situation i have given an example of above
    BalaNaveen:So, that's only the estimate we charge you on the order,andrew. If the charges are more as decided by the destinated country,you'll have to pay more. That isn't considered as double payment.
    Me:ok, i just wanted to confirm this. so if i order the kindle i can expect to pay an extra 19.50 on delivery. is that correct
    BalaNaveen:As I informed you, the charge depends on the fees your country charges you. What we charge you on the order is only the estimate,andrew.
    Me:ok, thanks for your help

It seems that the estimate is actually short on what the real amount is. Im gonna order it anyway. Cant wait.

I ordered a kindle Monday morning.

DHL delivered it on Wednesday.

I didn't have to pay any extra to DHL.

Hey, OP here. This is the Kindle I bought- the non-touch one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051QVF7A

I ordered it on Sunday and it arrived on Wednesday (yesterday). I was shocked at how fast the delivery was from America. When I bought it from Amazon.com, the total was : $157.28

Item(s) Subtotal: $109.00
    Shipping & Handling: $20.98
    Total Before Tax: $129.98
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    Import Fees Deposit $27.30
    Total for This Shipment: $157.28

I thought the $27.30 was to cover the customs but then DHL charged me €19.50 when they delived the Kindle to me, so dunno if I can try and get something back off Amazon cos feel like I paid the customs twice. Oh well.

Anyway, the Kindle is way nicer in the flesh than it is in pictures on the web. I actually thought it was ugly first when they announced it but I'm glad I chose this model now. It's grey in colour, and has 4 buttons and a D-pad on the bottom. It's the perfect size really. I read about 70 pages of a book last night and found it so easy- lying in bed, I didn't have to constantly turn pages and prop the book open. It's so easy to use, and looks so cool.

My friends will be so jealous when they see it, it's unlike anything else I've seen before. It actually looks like real paper. The screen reflects light, so it was harder to read at night with a lamo on the other side of the room so wanna buy one of those leather covers with a light for it, don't really need one as I could just move the lamp but what the hell! Gonne look for a cheap one off dealextreme or some site like that.

Overall, I'm so glad I bought it- it's not distracting reading on it as it is trying to read something on a laptop. I was worried that it would just be a novelty for me but I read loads last night and I haven't read a book in about 6 months so that's proof! I used to read loads as a child but got out of the habit, so aim to read about 3 books a month with this! Got about 200 books uploaded on it now, love Calibre. It's like itunes for your Kindle. Download it now and you can see what it's like before you buy the Kindle. I'll upload pics later cos only have my camera phone on me.

I'd contact dhl first and explain that you already paid the import fees you did to amazon
    Customs is about 20 percent
    Amazon have presumably paid this to dhl
    Someone somewhere along the way has made a mistake that has meant you've paid more like 50 percent !
    If I were you I would also email amazon and explain the situation and ask for a full investigation - you bought an international kindle after all ! I know it's only 20 euro however it's unacceptable in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I asked amazon about this

You are now connected to BalaNaveen from Amazon.com.
    Me:Hello there,
    I have a question in regards to the improt fees deposit
    BalaNaveen:Hello, my name is BalaNaveen. Welcome to Amazon.com! I'll be happy to help you today.
    Me:thanks
    if i pay the import fee deposit, but still have to pay a charge on delivery, can i get a refund. look at post 8 on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056406617
    is it a double payment
    the import fee deposit is $36.95 but this person still paid €19.50 on delivery
    BalaNaveen:Amazon Export Sales will estimate and collect an import fees deposit to certain destination countries.
    These funds will be used by the carrier or another agent to pay the import fees on your behalf to the appropriate authorities when your package reaches the destination country.
    The estimated import fees deposit will be displayed in the cost summary on the last page of our online order form, just before you submit your order.
    Me:what happens in the situation i have given an example of above
    BalaNaveen:So, that's only the estimate we charge you on the order,andrew. If the charges are more as decided by the destinated country,you'll have to pay more. That isn't considered as double payment.
    Me:ok, i just wanted to confirm this. so if i order the kindle i can expect to pay an extra 19.50 on delivery. is that correct
    BalaNaveen:As I informed you, the charge depends on the fees your country charges you. What we charge you on the order is only the estimate,andrew.
    Me:ok, thanks for your help

It seems that the estimate is actually short on what the real amount is. Im gonna order it anyway. Cant wait.
    Doesn't sound right at all. Was the bill/receipt for €19.50 total or was it a greater amount minus the $27.30 (~€20) paid by Amazon. The estimated value for import fees seems spot on.

VAT is calculated as 21% for imports

Euro value of the kindle + shipping ($129.98) is approximately €95
    21% of €95 = ~ €20
    Amount charged by Amazon (in euro) to cover this ~ €20

If there was any excess to be charged it would be minimal, in the region of a euro or two at most.

Get back in contact with Amazon and don't let it rest, otherwise you're paying close on 42% tax for the item:eek:

Figures broken down here:
    http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/5453215/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Lads, why are ye paying an extortionate amount of money to have a Kindle imported from .com when you can buy it in PC World/Tesco?

If it's the Kindle Touch ye're on about then ok, but if its the Kindle 4 with the 4 buttons then you can buy that in Ireland for about €109.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭johnayo

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Lads, why are ye paying an extortionate amount of money to have a Kindle imported from .com when you can buy it in PC World/Tesco?

If it's the Kindle Touch ye're on about then ok, but if its the Kindle 4 with the 4 buttons then you can buy that in Ireland for about €109.

Have any of these stores got these in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭friendlylady

Why are none of you buying the Kindle from PC world??? You seem to be going to alot of trouble and risk for very little gain. PC world currently have the wifi one at 159.99 and the full 3G one at 179.99. Might be a better option for anyone else who is interested in purchasing a Kindle.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭friendlylady

johnayo wrote: »
    Have any of these stores got these in stock?
    Well I was only looking at them in PC World in The Square about 5 days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

They became available in Ireland for purchase about four-five days ago. Bought the Kindle 4 in PC World today for €109. You can get the Kindle Keyboard WiFi only for €129 and the Kindle Keyboard 3G and WiFi for €179.

As I said before, you cannot get the Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire. Its for US customers only. Ps: I'm not a Kindle nut, I'm a Kindle Specialist at Amazon and my boyfriend got one today. :P

• Advertisement

NicoleL88 wrote: »

All in .... my import from the US cost me €108.15 delivered to me door.

And I saved €0.85 on the PC World price!

Advertisement