Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iran's foreign minister is to visit Ireland.

13»

Comments

• They are likely to be disappointed when they find out we don't develop ICBMs. They are looking for new vendors now that even Russia and China have (tentatively at least) agreed to sanction Iran. North Korea is still willing to trade with Iran, but although Pyongyang is willing, its industrial might is weak.

Ireland has quite a few things (non-military related) which would be attractive to Iran... Never mind that a fair number of M.Eastern countries are sending students here to study third level as it is.
    From the Irish government's point of view it seems a bit of a desperate gesture since being 'at the heart of Europe' didn't produce any discernible effects, nor did the personal groveling of our ministers to attempt to halt the flight of certain multinationals. I mean, perhaps creating closer ties with America might be an idea, but you know, that might be a sensible economic policy. :rolleyes:

More likely they're hoping that the US will be more favorable towards us if they have to bribe us away from their enemies.. After all, they haven't helped all that much while we were in their pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Assaulting? Did they beat the crap out of the protesters? Or did they just throw them out of a building they shouldn't have been in the first place?

Yes they did give one guy a few kicks and punches. If it had been the guards taking him out and he was resisting then fair enough but they have no jurisdiction to silence an Irish citizen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Nodin wrote: »
    They gave at least one guy a good kicking, which was totally unnessecary - he made no move to attack the speaker. Why the cops haven't arrested them is what I'd like to know.

Don't have the power most likely if they are travelling as part of a diplomatic mission. It would be up to the government to declare them personae non grata in this State, give them a set period of time to leave and the threat of arrest if they don't comply.

The gardaí did their duty and acted within their powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Should we send Micheál Martin to Iran to give some one a slap to even things up

• Yes they did give one guy a few kicks and punches. If it had been the guards taking him out and he was resisting then fair enough but they have no jurisdiction to silence an Irish citizen in Ireland.

I watched the video clip on the other thread about this and didn't see these kicks/punches. Perhaps its a different clip you're referring to.

And they were perfectly entitled to remove anyone that they considered a security risk to their minister. And lets face it, any person that comes in shouting abuse must be considered a threat until they're removed from sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Clawdeeus

Personally, I can't see what the fuss is all about. Are you going to get annoyed every time a minister from a M.Eastern, Asian, S.American, etc country comes visiting? Many countries in this world have appalling periods of activities in the last 30 years. When the US sends people here do you rush out to protest over their actions with Guantanamo Bay? etc.

I can understand the Irish fascination with Israeli actions.. its an ongoing problem and attention needs to be addressed. However, I don't see too much focus on other areas by Irish protesters.

The fact that Iran considers Ireland worthwhile to visit is important in itself. This country needs as many links as possible outside of the EU if its to benefit on the world stage. Getting all sanctimonious isn't going to help anybody.

Just out of curiousity, would you feel the same way should an Israeli official visit?

• Clawdeeus wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity, would you feel the same way should an Israeli official visit?

Absolutely. I'd feel the same about any visiting dignitary and its entourage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I watched the video clip on the other thread about this and didn't see these kicks/punches. Perhaps its a different clip you're referring to.

In the clip on the news last night yer man looked like he took some kicks on the way down the stairs, he hit the wall of the stairwell and dislodged some of the paintings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

prinz wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0609/iran.html

Looks like the sign in the first picture reads Freedom And Democracy, fairly self explanatory so. So much for anyone who thinks it's great to have him here.

so much for moral consistency too.

anyway it's clear his bodyguards never went to pr school.

as for his visit, if we are prepared to accept the Chinese, and reprenstatives of other unsavoury governments. I don't see what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

anyway it's clear his bodyguards never went to pr school. as for his visit, if we are prepared to accept the Chinese, and reprenstatives of other unsavoury governments. I don't see what the problem is.

He can come all he wants. He came, he said his piece and he can leave agaim. It's not my job to say who can come and who cannot. Doesn't mean I have to like it, any minister in a regime which allows the public execution of kids for being 'bad influences' i.e. for being sexually abused shouldn't be made welcome here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

prinz wrote: »
    He can come all he wants. He came, he said his piece and he can leave agaim. It's not my job to say who can come and who cannot. Doesn't mean I have to like it, any minister in a regime which allows the public execution of kids for being 'bad influences' i.e. for being sexually abused shouldn't be made welcome here.

well in an ideal world that would be the case, but the harsh reality is if we put moral deceny first we'd have considerably less trade partners and then you'd have people up in arms over their pockets being lighter.
    i don't like it any more than you do but that's just the way the world works i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Not sure what it has to do with Israel and the US to be honest seems a bit strange to mention them but as you do tend to bring them into every thread (even ones about cctv in England) its to be expected.

Its a good thing to build relations with any country as we know talking is the only way to sort things out.

You don't know what Israel and US have to do with this. Hahaha, come off it, do you expect us to believe that? Israel are openly talking about attacking Iran. US support Israel and supply them with their weapons. They have imposed sanctions on Iran. They have quite a lot to do with it.

Advertisement