Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Going are you ?

• 05-09-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

I'll be traveling to Kuki City Saitama Japan at the end of November this year and will stay 3 months, returning end of February 2015. I've rented a 2 room fully equipped lodge house for my entire 89 day stay.
    I will be doing some research over the next 5 years in the lead up to the 2020 Olympic games . I'm not rich and am self funded on a very tight budget and was thinking if anyone was interested in visiting Japan during December ~ February this time and wanted a place to stay . It would take some of the rent & utility burden off me and at the same time it would be a saving on hotel or hostel fees for another person to chip in with rent & food.

A person staying a week or even two weeks would be very welcome . Maybe meet up with some people already living in Tokyo (reading this) if they'd like to offer an invite for beers.

I know there is NO Christmas in Japan . If anyone wants to invite me for christmas dinner I'll buy the turkey (No KFC) or you come to my rented lodge I'll roast the bird , you bring the whiskey on the big day. How about ?

Just a little FYI . I got my round trip ticket this year for €668 from AWL travel . Air Lingus to Paris C.D.G. And onward Japan Airlines Tokyo Haneda.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

If you don't have any luck finding anyone here to stay I'd recommend maybe posting this r/JapanTravel too - could find someone there willing to stay for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Konata wrote: »
    If you don't have any luck finding anyone here to stay I'd recommend maybe posting this r/JapanTravel too - could find someone there willing to stay for a bit.

Thanks Konata
    Was hoping to give a chance to an Irish person before I let the opportunity loose , still plenty of time and there's always a chance someone maybe interested later in the year or early 2015

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Unfortunately I'll be going at the start of November but all the best in your travels and research!

Good luck finding a turkey in Japan

Good luck finding a turkey in Japan

Just placed my Christmas order for one ,in fact I have no difficulty in finding anything in Japan. if you're finding it difficult to locate an oven ready turkey in Saitama let me know. In fact if you're having difficulty in finding anything check this dude out.
    http://www.themeatguy.jp/
    and this dude
    http://www.fbcusa.com/

I've had a long and happy history of ordering my can of Baked Beans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Caybar

The tricky part will be finding an oven large enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Caybar wrote: »

I didn't even HAVE an oven in my apartment ;__;

Caybar wrote: »

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]My plan this year is to not waste time in a kitchen , My Christmas will be delivered .

jqfWed7.png
    [/FONT]

Finding an oven big enough to cook a large roast is not a problem in Japan any longer .

If you need one [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]the best Japanese company I found. They have a showroom in Takadanobaba and here's their toll free number:

0120-38-8180
    [/FONT]

I think the question should be . Is it possible to find an apartment big enough for an oven

You're spending a helluva lot of money on a turkey!
    I usually just buy a chicken/duck and make due with that

• Advertisement

You're spending a helluva lot of money on a turkey!
    I usually just buy a chicken/duck and make due with that

himmmmm ... Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Hello,

How far and what are the travel options from your apartment to Tokyo centre?

Arigato,

J

just-joe wrote: »
    Hello,

How far and what are the travel options from your apartment to Tokyo centre?

Arigato,

J

I'll try answer your question ,The small house i'm renting is 350 meters walk to the station. Let's say central Tokyo is and we'll pick Ueno as a neutral center of Tokyo and a destination from Kuki City . Depending on your age and interest, everyone will have a different center and hearth of Tokyo so for this exercise we have picked Ueno which is a couple of stops away from Akihabura and Tokyo Station . The image snapped from Hyperdia shows time , cost and distance in km to get there on any afternoon . Rush hour Express a little faster if you can get on it.
    1VOtvAl.png

I would't trust Hyperdia for times if I were you - they're good for routes only as their times can be a bit off. 40mins from Kuki to Ueno seems too quick. I'd add an extra 15-20mins onto that. Also trains on the Takasaki line don't run very frequently, so it's a good idea to give yourself extra time in case you miss your train.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I have found times on hyperdia to be generally on the ball. Of course, it presumes you can change trains in two minutes which may not be the case, and you may end up waiting for the next train or whatever. But in general trains run on time and from what i understand hyperdia just shows the scheduled times.

Shindig, sorry for being lazy and not just checking that myself. I wasn't sure if it was Kuki station or what station. Anyway, it is somewhat likely I will be in Japan during that time, if so I'll give you a shout if that's ok.

You mention you'll be doing research - as in into how best experience tokyo 2020, or what do you mean?

just-joe wrote: »
    , it is somewhat likely I will be in Japan during that time, if so I'll give you a shout if that's ok.

Yes it would be great to hook up, especially New Years eve, trains run all night so no problem leaving the party at 04:00. We just need to pick an Irish Pub for that .
    You mention you'll be doing research - as in into how best experience tokyo 2020, or what do you mean?
    I've never been to an Olympic Games in my life. planning on being there on the opening ceremony and attending as many events as is possible, between now and then I'm hoping that we have an Irish contender that I can cheer on and support, perhaps wave the tricolour at the TV cameras .

Advertisement