Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese Android Phones

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Melendez wrote: »

Select the Media player option, then it will flash up like a USB stick.

I bought the Jiayu G2 for Christmas (didn't want the bigger G3)
    http://www.mixeshop.com/original-jiayu-g2-dual-core-mtk6577-512mb1g-ram-4g-rom-40capacitive-screen-8mp-camera-wifi-gps-tablet-pc_p1655.html

Cost me €130 delivered & it's a gem.
    They even threw in a screen protector, bump case, extra battery & extra battery charging cradle for free.
    There is no greater bang for buck out there at present.

On the GPS issue, download the GPS Status App, it gets a lock quicker than the Android OS & is then picked up by Google Nav.
    The camera is a bit crappy in poor light but it's not a 400 quid phone so hey ho.

I see the G3 & G2 were available through Amazon for £199 & £160 but they're currently sold out.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/JIAYU-G3-JY-G3-MTK6577-Android/dp/B0098YMCBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358253366&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-MTK6577-Capacitive-Smartphone-Freeshipping/dp/B00A7OJ5DC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1358253366&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

Melendez, you ordered on 10th with mixeshop and you got it delivered within 5 days? That's pretty cool. Was it with DHL? And did you have to pay customs / duty etc?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

I manually copied the album folder of mp3 files into the music directory (I may have created that aswell) along with a jpeg of the album cover.
    Once I opened the generic music player app it showed up.
    No syncing I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

MP4s should play no problem on any Android phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    http://www.mixeshop.com/original-jiayu-g2-dual-core-mtk6577-512mb1g-ram-4g-rom-40capacitive-screen-8mp-camera-wifi-gps-tablet-pc_p1655.html

Cost me €130 delivered & it's a gem.
    They even threw in a screen protector, bump case, extra battery & extra battery charging cradle for free.
    There is no greater bang for buck out there at present.

On the GPS issue, download the GPS Status App, it gets a lock quicker than the Android OS & is then picked up by Google Nav.
    The camera is a bit crappy in poor light but it's not a 400 quid phone so hey ho.

I see the G3 & G2 were available through Amazon for £199 & £160 but they're currently sold out.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/JIAYU-G3-JY-G3-MTK6577-Android/dp/B0098YMCBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358253366&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-MTK6577-Capacitive-Smartphone-Freeshipping/dp/B00A7OJ5DC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1358253366&sr=8-5

How are you finding battery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 vin33

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    That's interesting, because I can't find anywhere about the Umi's screen, while the G2 is often listed as "gorilla glass" (whether that's true or not). The Umi is a beautiful phone alright...

Dan, I would hold off buying the UMi X1 as I now have doubts over the glass.

My phone screen cracked while in my pocket. I did not drop it. I reckon I sat down and perhaps some strain was put on the screen. Reckon this is the price for such a thin phone.

The one you just bought? Hard luck Vin33 I hate when that kind of thing happens, you'll have spent the price of a Galaxy S2 or S3 by the time you replace it now :(

naughtb4 wrote: »
    How are you finding battery?

Mine came with the 2050mAh battery, If I remember to turn off the wifi when I leave the house I could stretch about 36 hours out of it.
    They supplied me a 2nd battery too with a charger cradle.

The newer G2's come with a 2200mAh as far as I've read.

Thargor wrote: »
    The one you just bought? Hard luck Vin33 I hate when that kind of thing happens, you'll have spent the price of a Galaxy S2 or S3 by the time you replace it now :(

My thoughts exactly!! €180 it cost me! Might give it to my kids to play Temple Run. I can get a Sony J from work so might do that.

I knew the risks when I ordered Chinese but I hoped to get more than 2 months. My main mistake was being too hasty. I should have waited for user reviews. The Umi is nice looking and very fast but I think they went too thin.

As I have previously said, the Jiaju G2 is very sturdy so I guess also the G3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Mine came with the 2050mAh battery, If I remember to turn off the wifi when I leave the house I could stretch about 36 hours out of it.
    They supplied me a 2nd battery too with a charger cradle.

The newer G2's come with a 2200mAh as far as I've read.

This is your friend..Tasker https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

vin33 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly!! €180 it cost me! Might give it to my kids to play Temple Run. I can get a Sony J from work so might do that.

I knew the risks when I ordered Chinese but I hoped to get more than 2 months. My main mistake was being too hasty. I should have waited for user reviews. The Umi is nice looking and very fast but I think they went too thin.

As I have previously said, the Jiaju G2 is very sturdy so I guess also the G3?
    The G3 is pretty sturdy, its a fair lump of a phone so it would take a lot to damage tbf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

vin33 wrote: »
    Dan, I would hold off buying the UMi X1 as I now have doubts over the glass.

My phone screen cracked while in my pocket. I did not drop it. I reckon I sat down and perhaps some strain was put on the screen. Reckon this is the price for such a thin phone.
    I hate to see my premonitions come true but that's exactly what I was afraid of more than scratching. It just looks the wrong shape for a pocket. :-(

Very interesting. Is that for the 1Gb and did you get hit for customs duty? Cheapest I can find on aliexpress is €124 for the 1Gb, but that's without duty and certainly no free second battery. Plus Hong Kong post will be glacially slow.
    I'm waiting on a reply to which batch the G2S they stock are, but I'm leaning more G2 now. In your opinion is it "chubby" as I have read? Does 10.6mm really feel that fat in the hand?

EDIT: Bit the bullet in the end on the mixeshop.com G2 1Gb MTK6577 with a spare battery and a 32Gb SD card. Went with regular post so I can savour a little longer what is, in effect, my Xmas present!
    Got hit for €146 overall. Of course Irish customs will probably still have their dip into my pocket too...
    In the end I just thought the G2S was too new and teething troubles were inevitable. More pocketable than a 4.5 inch, and it does have that Samsung look which I dig.
    I'm coming from a 3 year old N97 so this will look like the Starship Enterprise to me even if it's a POS! :-)

Very interesting. Is that for the 1Gb and did you get hit for customs duty? Cheapest I can find on aliexpress is €124 for the 1Gb, but that's without duty and certainly no free second battery. Plus Hong Kong post will be glacially slow.
    I'm waiting on a reply to which batch the G2S they stock are, but I'm leaning more G2 now. In your opinion is it "chubby" as I have read? Does 10.6mm really feel that fat in the hand?

EDIT: Bit the bullet in the end on the mixeshop.com G2 1Gb MTK6577 with a spare battery and a 32Gb SD card. Went with regular post so I can savour a little longer what is, in effect, my Xmas present!
    Got hit for €146 overall. Of course Irish customs will probably still have their dip into my pocket too...
    In the end I just thought the G2S was too new and teething troubles were inevitable. More pocketable than a 4.5 inch, and it does have that Samsung look which I dig.
    I'm coming from a 3 year old N97 so this will look like the Starship Enterprise to me even if it's a POS! :-)

Congrats on a fine purchase, that's the same one I went for.
    I actually ordered 2, one for the wife aswell as an upgrade from the original Samsung Galaxy, she loves it.
    It's the speed of the dual core processor that you'll notice first off, big step up.
    The screen is amazingly clear & very responsive, I watch Top Gear episodes in bed using the VLC Player App & it's gorgeous.

I don't notice it being chubby as I've it in a rubber bump case aswell.
    Only issue is that the back is a soft rubbery plastic & only meant to be opened by twisting the corner of a credit card in a small slot at the base.
    My wife has used her nail & it's chipped around the slot, you can get replacements for a tenner anyway if it bothers you.

The quad band reception is great for indoors, her old Samsung would be one bar & drop calls by comparison.
    The wifi is 90% as fast as my laptop & coverage is good throughout the house.

I got stopped by customs but didn't mind the extra 23% + €6 to get it by Christmas.
    Best of luck with a great phone.

I figure that's me sorted for about 2 years anyway until things settle down with flexi screens, quad cores & the like.

• Advertisement

Always the way with the stock ROMs on these generic Chinese devices, are you going to flash the Jellybean ROM?

Hows the battery?

Cant believe you have yours, mine is only going to ship today...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

Cr*p.. I am not liking what I am reading about G3. I ordered on 14th and DHL picked it up an hour ago in HK. I doubt if it would get here this week - probly Monday.

EDIT: Bit the bullet in the end on the mixeshop.com G2 1Gb MTK6577 with a spare battery and a 32Gb SD card.
    Just on this, I asked after I ordered (oops) if the SD card was class 10 and it isn't. I cancelled that no problem. I can get a 32Gb Class 10 Samsung one for a little less on ebay anyway, I just thought it'd be handier to order them in one spot.
    Can't wait for the phone itself to arrive though!

Wifi should be n on the Jiayu afaik.

Might also be worthwhile to install cpuspy and check that you get deep sleep.

Might be worthwhile to try and root it in advance of any custom ROMs/upgrades fro Jiayu.

How does the 3G/H reception seem or have you tried it?

I would believe ejiayu.com ahead of jiayumobileshop.com. ejiayu says in several places that they know of jiayumobileshop and they are NOT official resellers, if such a thing exists for these sorts of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I ordered the G3 and received it last week. Been messing about with a few ROMs.
    At the moment the Official LeWa ROM 13.01.04 (Y/M/D) build 1263 seems to be the best. LED shows notifications.

Downloaded from Here

It didn’t have Play but downloaded it from the Market Store app the rom came with.

Battery is better and new rom has less lag and plenty of features.
    Not sure how much battery power is better by as I’m constantly messing with phone at moment. Will have better idea next week when I go back to college.

My previous android was the Xperia Play (bought Oct 2011), its a lot better than that but its the only one I can compare it with.

For me its a great phone, but the back is very fragile and will break if dropped I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement