Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another Hour Record Attempt upcoming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

on the power meter, they don't use on for the track so that's pretty much what rules are based on. Whatever is track legal they can use for attempt. Allowing data to be recorded is as much for us the fans as them.

He was very strong but did so little youth way he tailed off, but that 1/2 was just too generous given he said his data told him he could do 52km, agreed a 250m track probably helps a little over an hour.

Didn't like now negative magnus seemed to be or was he just trying to big it up as closer than it was going be,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Confirmations for new attempts in 2015 coming in now.

Rohan Dennis will attempt the record in BMC's backyard on February 8th quickly followed by attempts form Jack Bobridge and Alex Dowsett (Movistar) before Wiggins rumoured attempt in June.

Interesting times ahead and all will feel confident of setting new records but is anyone capable of putting the record 'on the shelf'
    It does appear that the teams and bike manufacturers are interested in maximising the publicity of the hour record.

Edit:
    Just discovered Bobridge will go first (January 31st in Melbourne) and with a decent track pedigree and the attempt coming in the middle of the Australian domestic season should see him in good shape.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sarah Storey goes on 28 February in London....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Bobridge's bike for the record

B5IaE8uCcAAtyxC.jpg:large

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Been trying to get hold of one of them, but they are now discontinued - was wondering if they will have a "T5" out for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Bobridge vs Dennis vs Dowsett are going to be interesting battles. Bobridge should break the current record. Dennis will probably beat it then. I'm not sure if Dowsett will though. Wiggo will smash the record then though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

Looks like Dowsett is getting ready alright ..

https://twitter.com/LoisDowsett/status/545885228318072832

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Looks a bit like Obree's Old Faithful, hope that was intentional :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hate the big gaps to the rear tyre. Would have though an EBB or something would be used to sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Bobridge's bike for the record
    Those wheels look heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Bobridge seems to be the only one using a 'proper' track bike for the record, the rest, so far, have been on TT bikes. Any advantage using a track bike over the TT or is it much of a muchness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

joey100 wrote: »
    Bobridge seems to be the only one using a 'proper' track bike for the record, the rest, so far, have been on TT bikes. Any advantage using a track bike over the TT or is it much of a muchness?

Bobridge is the only rider who has to use an off the shelf bike as he is without a major protour team. All of the other riders have been showcasing bike manufacturers special projects. Although his current team (Team Budget Forklifts) are sponsored by Cervelo i can't imagine a massive budget for this attempt

Obviously lightweight disc wheels and cervelo t4 frame are probably the best available off the shelf products but rest assured most of the other attempts are vanity projects for the bike manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

It's a pity some of these guys can't go head to head in a pursuit type scenario - alas though that would result in the whole point being defeated as there would be additional drafting benefits available

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/alex-dowsetts-hour-record-attempt-setback-fractures-collarbone-152433

Dowsett's broken his collarbone and will need surgery. His attempt was planned for February 27th, presume it's not really possible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

http://movistarteam.com/news/2015-1-22/alex-dowsett-movistar-team-s-uci-hour-record-attempt-postponed

And it's been cancelled .. so that's just three attempts now in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

And Jack Bobridge's attempt is live now on youtube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422579428&v=Gib8TVFbPRA&x-yt-cl=85114404#t=2714

No much info on screen though so it's hard to know how he's doing.

nilhg wrote: »
    And Jack Bobridge's attempt is live now on youtube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422579428&v=Gib8TVFbPRA&x-yt-cl=85114404#t=2714

No much info on screen though so it's hard to know how he's doing.

Split times here, he is slowing. Gonna be tight.

http://metarace.com.au/track/catn/event_h

51.3km - 2 laps down on on Brandle

Think he would have done it with proper preparation, but it was always going to be an uphill struggle coming straight off winning the KOM jersey in the TDU....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Didn't see it but there must be a strange sense of anti-climax live in the stadium - no winner just a loser. Obviously tough on him but it's good to see that the mini-period of whoever taking on the Hour Record & beating it is no longer a foregone conclusion. . . . Not until the big guns arrive on the scene anyway.

• Advertisement

I would classify Bobridge as one of the biggest guns out there particularly given his pursuit world record. I suspect he'll be back to take the hour record at some stage. I just think to do it properly given where the record currently sits requires a lot more dedicated preparation

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Feel so sorry for him, I was sure he would do it with his super track record. Hopefully he'll go again.

Looking at his lap times he seems to have gone off far too quickly, hitting nearly 55.3 km/h on lap 3 and averaging something over 54.5 km/h between laps 6 and 25.

Three-quarters of the way in you can see he was struggling with a 15 lap sequence when he was at around 49.3 km/h, and for a long period he was lapping at over 18s (50 km/h)

Beasty wrote: »
    Looking at his lap times he seems to have gone off far too quickly, hitting nearly 55.3 km/h on lap 3 and averaging something over 54.5 km/h between laps 6 and 25.

Three-quarters of the way in you can see he was struggling with a 15 lap sequence when he was at around 49.3 km/h, and for a long period he was lapping at over 18s (50 km/h)

https://mobile.twitter.com/xavierdisley/status/561456543481470978

This proves it, pacing was his downfall

Poor fecker, must be a pretty miserable feeling.

Poor fecker, must be a pretty miserable feeling.
    Ask Obree - he got over it mind by trying again (and succeeding!) the following day .....
    I was Butch Cassidy in terms of swagger. I didn't want any negativity. This was blitzkrieg. I'm going in there. Let me do it. I'm not going to be the timorous guy from Scotland. That's what the difference was. Purely mental state. The day before, I had been a mouse. Now I was a lion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Gallant_JJ wrote: »

Wow great chart tells it all . . Guess the way Jens rode in theory was the best just needed to be a tad faster.

Crazy start for Bobridge poor ride to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Beasty wrote: »
    I would classify Bobridge as one of the biggest guns out there particularly given his pursuit world record. I suspect he'll be back to take the hour record at some stage. I just think to do it properly given where the record currently sits requires a lot more dedicated preparation

Didn't realise he had such credentials. I know you say he maybe hadn't the right kind of build-up but then again if Obree was able to do it the day after failing, seems like, given he & his team must have thought they were on course, maybe it all just went a bit wrong on the night.

Some quotes from Bobridge:

"I could never imagine… it’s the closest I'll ever be to death without dying I think. I'm in that much pain, it's funny. I don’t know what else to do but smile. I can’t even describe how much pain my glutes and quads are in.
    "It's by far the hardest I've ever done and the hardest thing I’ll ever do I think," he added. "20 minutes in I think it sunk in what was happening and what was about to happen. 20 minutes, there is nowhere to go. You have to keep going. It was just brutal, it was brutal the whole time. There was nothing nice about anything."

"All I can really say is that it’s an underestimated record. I take my hat off to [Matthias] Brändle who holds the record. It’s an unbelievable record to hold. People who do it after me have to understand that. It’s one hard hour. Brutal."
    "I never underestimated the effort but I think it’s the hardest record anyone could ever go through. Until you do it, you can’t really describe how hard it is. It's next level…"

Obree actually went further than Bobridge and was only a lap down on Brandle. His bike/position would not be legal now, but Old Faithful was constructed by Obree himself and didn't even benefit from disc wheels. Of course the superman position (now also banned) subsequently allowed him to go over 900m further than Brandle, but Boardman hammered them all with his Lotus assisted 56.375km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Probably a silly question but are riders only allowed a limited number of attempts? Or can they do it as many times as they want?

Advertisement