Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keeping feet dry or warm when wading to hop on kayak

• 24-01-2015 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I went out today for the first time ever in winter, just to a local turlough to see what it would be like to paddle about in January. Had a pair of cheap watershoes on and waded in ankle deep to get in the kayak. That water was really really cold and my feet went numb to the point of hardly being able to find my footing when I decided to hop out for a bit about 40 minutes later. So my question is: In winter time, what would anyone recommend to keep their feet either dry or warm or both after having waded in to get in the boat. I suppose I could bring a pair of wellingtons but is there something more apt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

a pair of diving booties 5mm or so should keep your feet warm......what other gear do you wear paddling?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

I would advise if you are going to use wellingtons to get into the kayak, to also bring booties to wear while paddling as paddling in wellingtons is really dangerous if you fall in. ( I am basing this advice on the assumption you have a sit on top or would need to use the 'oh Jesus' strap instead of a roll)

I have a pair of 5mm hard soled booties (their brand name evades me, however I can check this later if you are interested) they are really great, they have never left me with cold feet and have lasted me over 6 years!!!

Amazon have some Typhoon Surfmaster 6mm for a decent price - I may pick up a pair for myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

ec18 wrote: »
    a pair of diving booties 5mm or so should keep your feet warm......what other gear do you wear paddling?

Thanks for that - re other gear, well I operate at a leisurely snail pace out on water, so I wouldn't really say that I work uo a sweat. So I just put on warm standard underclothing and and thin waterproof outer gear - nothing specifically designed for kayaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

I would advise if you are going to use wellingtons to get into the kayak, to also bring booties to wear while paddling as paddling in wellingtons is really dangerous if you fall in. ( I am basing this advice on the assumption you have a sit on top or would need to use the 'oh Jesus' strap instead of a roll)

I have a pair of 5mm hard soled booties (their brand name evades me, however I can check this later if you are interested) they are really great, they have never left me with cold feet and have lasted me over 6 years!!!

Amazon have some Typhoon Surfmaster 6mm for a decent price - I may pick up a pair for myself!

Thank you for your response. Yep, this was a sit-on-top. Yes, if you have a 6 year old boot that has been reliable, the manufacturer/stylel would really be appreciated - meantime I will check out the Typhoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eugene Yes

Have a look at Seal Skinz socks. Water proof and warm.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm using these http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/neoprene-wetsuit-shoes-boots.html#a367 from Lomo on my SOT and can't fault them though you still need to layer up with thick socks this time of year. The lack of foot movement means your tootsies will get very, very cold no matter what you're wearing.

Advertisement