Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Thankfully i'm on the medical card atm.. I don't think i'll have it for long though as I should have a job lined up after may..

Do you have to visit the doctor everytime you need a refill? sure the doctors visit would be very expensive on it's own..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

carzony wrote: »
    Do you have to visit the doctor everytime you need a refill? sure the doctors visit would be very expensive on it's own..

My GP doesn't charge for repeat prescriptions. Just have to give them 24 hours notice is all.

My GP doesn't charge for repeat prescriptions. Just have to give them 24 hours notice is all.

I have no idea how it all works mate. What would a box of the tablets cost on average?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I have been attending my psychologist for about 8 years now - he's one the most respected in that area in Ireland. However, as much as I respect the man, and get on very well, I am just getting nothing from recent sessions. Should I consider going elsewhere? Non med route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I have no idea how it all works mate. What would a box of the tablets cost on average?

I paid €12.48 (I think, it could have been €12.49) for 28 days of 10mg escitalopram.

• Advertisement

I paid €12.48 (I think, it could have been €12.49) for 28 days of 10mg escitalopram.

Not to bad I suppose if they help. I know the money would soon add up but what's 12.49 for a 'normal' life.

For some reason I thought you were gonna say well over 20 euro for some reason...

Really depends on the drugs. If a generic is available you'll get them fairly cheap. If they're patented, you might really need the drug payment scheme card, that way you won't have to pay any more than the €144 per month.

edit......

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not sure where to post this so apologies if it's in the wrong section.

I'm 28 and really battling with depression at the moment. So much so that I'm question my existence.

It's affected my studies and education for as long as I can remember. To such a degree where I just couldn't get motivated to pursue 3rd level, I didn't want to face into college life, I wouldn't want to get out of bed in the morning, and now that has gone to such an extent that I'm so far behind my friends and people I know on the career ladder that I'm just embarrassed and depressed about it.

I have a job although there's no career progression and it's pretty poor wages, nothing that could support a family or pay part of a mortgage. I live at home with my parents as paying rent would mean I'd have no car or social life.

I have a great girlfriend and things between us are great. We get on well and really enjoy each others company. She has no idea what I'm going through and to be honest I feel like if i opened up she would think i am a loser. She's not the judgmental type and couldn't be a nicer person but I feel like any woman would look at me differently if they saw the real me or my situation. She could have any guy she wanted, I'm not just saying that, she genuinely could, so why would she want an uneducated, low earning man who has no future prospects.

From the outside I think everyone would think I'm a happy with life kind of guy, I have a big circle of friends that I'm always with but I haven't shown this side to anyone before, this is the first time I am opening up about it.

I have so many regrets in regards to my education, I wish I had gone to college at 18 like all my friends who are now in established jobs earning decent wages and that are set to only increase. While there's not been much of a difference between earnings till now, in the past year they have all started to get increases and I can only imagine where they will be at in 3-4 years time in comparison. They'll all be buying houses, new cars while I'll probably still be living at home with my parents. I'm at a stage now where if I do go back to college it'll take 8-10 years before I start being able to provide a proper kind of life for myself or anybody else.

When I read back on this in the 3rd person I think, "what a dramatic, feeling sorry for himself sap". I know that's how it reads but it's honestly how I feel, I tell myself things will work out but inevitably after a day, maybe a week I fall back into it, feeling like there is no way out.

I'm sorry if it read wrong, it's hard to articulate what's going on inside my head and I'm also sorry if I've unloaded this in the wrong section or even the wrong site, apologies to anyone who might have read this and put a damper on their day. I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had this. A feeling of worthless-ness, seeing all your friends thrive and your own life stagnate or receed with the feeling that there's no way out, not for another 8-10 years anyway. I look at how well my friends and everyone I know are doing and I feel like such a failure

I'm 28 and really battling with depression at the moment. So much so that I'm question my existence.

It's affected my studies and education for as long as I can remember. To such a degree where I just couldn't get motivated to pursue 3rd level, I didn't want to face into college life, I wouldn't want to get out of bed in the morning, and now that has gone to such an extent that I'm so far behind my friends and people I know on the career ladder that I'm just embarrassed and depressed about it.

I have a job although there's no career progression and it's pretty poor wages, nothing that could support a family or pay part of a mortgage. I live at home with my parents as paying rent would mean I'd have no car or social life.

I have a great girlfriend and things between us are great. We get on well and really enjoy each others company. She has no idea what I'm going through and to be honest I feel like if i opened up she would think i am a loser. She's not the judgmental type and couldn't be a nicer person but I feel like any woman would look at me differently if they saw the real me or my situation. She could have any guy she wanted, I'm not just saying that, she genuinely could, so why would she want an uneducated, low earning man who has no future prospects.

From the outside I think everyone would think I'm a happy with life kind of guy, I have a big circle of friends that I'm always with but I haven't shown this side to anyone before, this is the first time I am opening up about it.

I have so many regrets in regards to my education, I wish I had gone to college at 18 like all my friends who are now in established jobs earning decent wages and that are set to only increase. While there's not been much of a difference between earnings till now, in the past year they have all started to get increases and I can only imagine where they will be at in 3-4 years time in comparison. They'll all be buying houses, new cars while I'll probably still be living at home with my parents. I'm at a stage now where if I do go back to college it'll take 8-10 years before I start being able to provide a proper kind of life for myself or anybody else.

When I read back on this in the 3rd person I think, "what a dramatic, feeling sorry for himself sap". I know that's how it reads but it's honestly how I feel, I tell myself things will work out but inevitably after a day, maybe a week I fall back into it, feeling like there is no way out.

I'm sorry if it read wrong, it's hard to articulate what's going on inside my head and I'm also sorry if I've unloaded this in the wrong section or even the wrong site, apologies to anyone who might have read this and put a damper on their day. I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had this. A feeling of worthless-ness, seeing all your friends thrive and your own life stagnate or receed with the feeling that there's no way out, not for another 8-10 years anyway. I look at how well my friends and everyone I know are doing and I feel like such a failure

Firstly, fair play for having the courage to open up on here.

You and I are in very similar situations - same age ,no direction in life, feeling overwhelmed, feeling like you lost out on education, having poor relationships with friends and whatnot. I get it.

Your girlfriend sounds like a very understanding person, and I think you just have to tell her what's going on. She obviously cares so much about you, and sees more in you than you do in yourself! Have a conversation with her, don't bottle it up, it doesn't help. Your girlfriend sounds like she will support you in whatever you want to do. I am sure your parents are there for you as well. That's two support networks you have there. I lost girlfriends over this stuff before and by not telling them, it made it even worse!

You are 28, hardly an auld fella! But if you're like me, 28 feels 'old'- but it's not, plenty of time to get your **** together. You could go back and pursue a degree in something you're interested in. Have a look at courses and apply through the CAO as a mature student before Monday! or at least put an application in and amend it later on.

Cars, houses and all that other stuff will come in time. You have another 30+ years of work ahead of you, so plenty of time to buy homes, cars etc...

I wake up worrying every morning thinking life is going past me so quickly, and it is. I do the same **** day in and day out, unhappy in myself. We need to actually stop this worrying and do something! All bark and no bite. We go on like the world is against us, it's really not!

Take the bull by the horns and implement a POA today, because we'll wake up and look in the mirror one day and we'll be too old to do the things we want to do!

I would advise you to have that conversation with the girlfriend.

If you want to PM me or chat some more here, go ahead, let it out.

• Advertisement

It's like I have wrote that post :eek:

i'm very similar except i'm 22 and crippled by the panic attacks. I'm currently trying to go further with my education but it's very depressing knowing most of friends are leaving college this year whilst i'm only starting next year so I know how it feels. :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ditto, except I'm 41 and let those thoughts of 'it's too late' and low self esteem cripple me and prevent me from doing anything about it. Jesus if I could go back 13 years to 28 never mind nearly 20 years to 22....

You both have tonnes of time to sort yourselves out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I'm kind of feeling a similar way to everyone else. Looking around, everyone I know is in relationships, getting married etc, but I'm still here going on like a child in my mid 20s, depending on my parents for stuff. No job, still another year to go in college, loads of health issues... I just can't really see a happy future for me right now.

I'm kind of feeling a similar way to everyone else. Looking around, everyone I know is in relationships, getting married etc, but I'm still here going on like a child in my mid 20s, depending on my parents for stuff. No job, still another year to go in college, loads of health issues... I just can't really see a happy future for me right now.

I can relate to a lot of that EI. It will get better though. Right now it just seems a bit dark is all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

main-qimg-ee8a0642a49cb964778ef2b6345c7687?convert_to_webp=true

Hands up who's spending another Saturday night in on their own?

GeneralC wrote: »

I am but i'd rather that atm...

Calibos wrote: »
    Ditto, except I'm 41 and let those thoughts of 'it's too late' and low self esteem cripple me and prevent me from doing anything about it. Jesus if I could go back 13 years to 28 never mind nearly 20 years to 22....

You both have tonnes of time to sort yourselves out.

I just feel so old and for me to complete a degree i'd be 26/27 by the time i finish.. Might sound young but to me it seems like a lifetime away..

I turned 28 last week and I am considering going back to college to do my Masters (again), but in a different area.

I am concerned I might struggle and drop out again, and where will that leave me?

I just feel so old and for me to complete a degree i'd be 26/27 by the time i finish.. Might sound young but to me it seems like a lifetime away..

Ah cmon' you're still so young, you can do whatever you want!

• Advertisement

*raises hand*

The great thing about third level education is on most occasions you usuaaly get a very handy timetable..

well 2nd day on the medication and dont feel any better. yesterday i felt great afterwards though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

well 2nd day on the medication and dont feel any better. yesterday i felt great afterwards though :(

I found the exact same, I was putting it down to relief at making it through the appointment and actually doing something to help myself on the first day. Hope tomorrow's a better day for you.

I found the exact same, I was putting it down to relief at making it through the appointment and actually doing something to help myself on the first day. Hope tomorrow's a better day for you.

i'm hoping the medication takes effect soon. i felt great yesterday and thought i'd found the answer to my problem:(

i think i read it takes 2 weeks to work:eek::(:(

SSRI's usually take 5-6 weeks to kick-in

Does anyone suffer from depersonalisation here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

SSRI's usually take 5-6 weeks to kick-in

Does anyone suffer from depersonalisation here?

Had it on and off, not much any more. Exercise was what worked best.

I would be interested to hear what symptoms people have with their anxiety?

I would be interested to hear what symptoms people have with their anxiety?

for me mostly difficulty breathing. I usually get a sense that even though i'm breathing i feel no air getting to the lungs.. feckin hard to deal with on a busy train/bus ect..

and a racing heart but i only noticed that recently..

for me mostly difficulty breathing. I usually get a sense that even though i'm breathing i feel no air getting to the lungs.. feckin hard to deal with on a busy train/bus ect..

I understand how that feels. I feel like I am not breathing sometimes, which is just silly.

The feeling of being in a cloud/fog is a common one for me

• Advertisement

i'm unfit and originally blamed that for the difficulty breathing but after the doctors tests that's ruled out.. i'd love to start running but i freak trying to catch my breath as it is...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement