Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microphone advice

• 21-01-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi guys. Im trying to pick a new microphone but dont know where to start. Ive used shure and sennheisers before but im looking to a more high end mic this time. Any advise is welcome. Concentrating mostly on live playing but if it covers recording then brilliant.thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

What's the microphone for? e.g. guitar, vocals, strings, drums, combination...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

Oh sorry its for vocals. Does anybody have advise on neumann mics? Or any other suggestions are most welcome

Oh sorry its for vocals. Does anybody have advise on neumann mics? Or any other suggestions are most welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Budget??? Male/Female box?? More info??

For male vocs bill. Trying to keep it to a max of 500 if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

A better mic won't make you a better singer, Bono uses an SM-58 (or used to at least to). For live it's not gonna be noticed unless you're playing a high end gig with your own engineer and line-up and all that and even then I'd be amazed if people could tell the difference between any decent mics unless they were looking out for it or had a lot of experience.

For live I like to use Shure SM-58's or a Sennheiser E-965 (I believe - not 100% of the model off the top of my head)

Thanks for the advise and i am aware that a more expensive mic wont make me a better singer

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

davylee wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise and i am aware that a more expensive mic wont make me a better singer

Sorry, didn't mean to be a dick with that comment. However, I've seen dozens of guitarists, for example, run out to buy fancy gear because they didn't like how they sounded when the problem was their playing all along. Same thing goes for singers and any other musician.

Np. Im just looking for that perfect clarity and for studio as well as live. i suppose everybodys always trying to improve their set-up.

Np. Im just looking for that perfect clarity and for studio as well as live. i suppose everybodys always trying to improve their set-up.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Have a look at Lewitt Mics, they have a very innovative mic designed for stage and studio use. It's pricey but I'd look at it for your budget: http://www.lewitt-audio.com/MTP-Series

I have a couple of their studio mics, I prefer them to a Neumann U87 and they are over half the price. Gorgeous mics.

Thats great strings thanks i will check them out thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

If you sing close and want more gain before feedback, coupled with a very flat response, I'd recommend an Audix OM7. It'll also reject more of your band than any other mic available. This is really a live mic and not suitable in the studio.

A Neumann KMS105 is probably the best stage condenser mic available for vocals, and you'll hear the difference if you're more into pulling back a little and sing with more dynamics and subtlety. A good alternative to that is an Audix VX10 which may be a little cheaper. Both these would also be very good in studio.

g

Advertisement