Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gran Canaria wwt

• 29-01-2015 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a location/hotel in Gran Canaria. Looking to possibly go in March for a week with the missus. Its warmer than Lanzarote (where I have been before) which is better for her as she is looking for a bit of sun. Cycling is not too far behind I am told. Would need to rent a bike and ideally have access to a pool as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

I was there around the same time of year about 2 years ago. Rented from Free motion cycles. They do guided tours with different levels of ability. They are based in Playa des Ingles. Bring your own shoes and helmet if going, I think they only had look pedals so if you use shimano might be worth bringing them with you too. I know you can rent a bike from them for a few days too but not sure of cost. Plenty of good cycling and climbing. Windy too but doesn't seem as windy as Lanzarote.

Here's the link,

http://www.free-motion.com/en/

I'm sure there are others around the area too, just don't know them!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 willow46

Second Free-motion… Very good cycling in Gran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Not really a fan of GC, but its brilliant for cycling (you better like tough hills - specifically for cycling id rate it higher than lanza). I'd take lanza for a holiday/cycling tradeoff though.

I went over with http://www.cyclegrancanaria.com/road-biking-holidays/gran-canaria-road-camp/ -- Stayed at cordial green golf apartments near maspalomas which were decent enough, nice pool etc. and the swiss cycling team were based there. Brilliant to have someone guiding/pushing you on the cycles too.. I'd happily go back.

Also +1 for renting bikes from freemotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭sann

Hey. Another vote for freemotion. Austrian group. Great bunch. Very helpfull and great craic! They hire out top line cannondales and can supply you with shimano or look pedals so no need to take your own. Wouldnt bother with the helmet either as they only charge €3 for hire for a week or duration of bike hire. We are heading out for fews days in the next few weeks and booked bikes with them again. We didnt bother with the guided tours this time round as we know the cycling routes and the island fairly well having been there a few times before!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

amadores has a fantastic beach that is v sheltered and has brill open water swimming ( no need for a pool)
    if you get a chance cycle the north west coast , south of Agaete amazing scenery
    it would defeat your heat goals but worth to stay a few nights in the mountiains to explore this aera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

Freemotion are the business. They have a shop in Meloneras aswell as in the Cordial Mogan Playa hotel. Cycling out there is class but proper mountainous. Lanza has Tabayesco and Femmes and thats about it. There's no shortage of climbs in GC. Check out Raymond Leddys website Cycle Gran Canaria for routes.
    Heading there on Saturday.

Advertisement