Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014/2015 Off-Season Thread

• 31-10-2014 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Thread to discuss off season stuff......

Joe Madden to be confirmed as Cubs boss after Renter got fired today is the first big headline I suppose. I see he's getting grief for 'taking another man's job'. Ridiculous argument, Renteria will get paid anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Joe Madden to be confirmed as Cubs boss after Renter got fired today is the first big headline I suppose. I see he's getting grief for 'taking another man's job'. Ridiculous argument, Renteria will get paid anyway.
    True! I wonder how long before the Cubs become relevant again. I guess we'll know better once free agency starts in a few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Lester looks nailed on to be the ace for the Cubs next year. Possibility they end up with two aces if they could attract David Price or Cole Hamels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Somewhat minor move but Adam Lind to the Brewers from the Blue Jays.

CF Anthony Gose to the Tigers from Toronto for 2B prospect Devon Travis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Quiet enough so far this off season. I know the Mets signed Cudoyer (I'll have learnt to spell his name properly by April!) but nothing major to report. Hopefully we'll get some moves at the Winter meetings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Garryowen Red

Yankees have traded Francisco Cervelli to the Pirates for Justin Wilson and have also signed Jose De Paula to a MLB contract next yr, Chris Young signed on for next year now also. With the way things are looking they are restocking the bullpen with Robertson not likely to come back as closer with the money he wants that'll shift Betances to the closer role. Ichiro is gone and isn't going to return with Gardner, Beltran & Ellsbury the starting outfield and Young as the backup. The infield is where things are interesting, A-Rods return may mean Headley walks which isn't good for the Yankees. Expect some trades and FA signings to be done at the Winter Meetings, it's got to be done early if they want to get the quality they need.

Yankees have traded Francisco Cervelli to the Pirates for Justin Wilson and have also signed Jose De Paula to a MLB contract next yr, Chris Young signed on for next year now also. With the way things are looking they are restocking the bullpen with Robertson not likely to come back as closer with the money he wants that'll shift Betances to the closer role. Ichiro is gone and isn't going to return with Gardner, Beltran & Ellsbury the starting outfield and Young as the backup. The infield is where things are interesting, A-Rods return may mean Headley walks which isn't good for the Yankees. Expect some trades and FA signings to be done at the Winter Meetings, it's got to be done early if they want to get the quality they need.

Ha ha, good luck with that! At least they didn;t give him the $7.5m that the Mets were stupid enough to give him last year.

Ha ha, good luck with that! At least they didn;t give him the $7.5m that the Mets were stupid enough to give him last year.

Yea just the waste of $2.5m, still he's just a back up (though with the way Beltran worked out this year I'd expect him to start at least 70 games - a scary thought!)

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/marlins-giancarlo-stanton-discussing-record-breaking-300-million-deal-111314

You can tell there's no news to report when reports like this start appearing. Of course, they're discussing deals with Stanton but the €300m/10 year is only one of the possibilities and they even state they're no where near getting a deal done. So why report it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

For some reason I never took to Robertson. Always felt nervous with him in big situations. Betances looks the real deal, though. Very excited to see how he preformes next year.

• Advertisement

MoyVilla9 I completely agree, Robertson's nickname of Houdini was well deserved but he shouldn't be getting into those positions to earn it to begin with!

Some trades and signings starting to come in now - the Tigers getting V-Mart resigned for 4 yrs & $68 mil was a no-brainer for them, he was fantastic this yr and surely will be very good for at least 2 more years. I get the feeling Detroit will go all out to keep Scherzer now, they are desperate to land that World Series. Hellickson to the D'Backs is an interesting one, will prob have a good season there. AJ Burnett going back to Pittsburgh for $4 mil less than his Phillies player option, not something often seen in modern baseball and shows that the Phillies are going to be seriously bad in 2015!

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/marlins-giancarlo-stanton-discussing-record-breaking-300-million-deal-111314

You can tell there's no news to report when reports like this start appearing. Of course, they're discussing deals with Stanton but the €300m/10 year is only one of the possibilities and they even state they're no where near getting a deal done. So why report it then?

Deal done apparently. 13 years, $325m with a no-trade clause (probably one of the first ever for Miami) and an opt out option after year 5.

Largest North American contract in history. So no pressure then?

Russell Martin to the Jays. Melky won't be back so they still need a LF'er and a 2B.

Interesting trade between the Braves and the Cards. Hayward for Miller plus a couple of other pieces changing places too.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/cardinals-reloading-braves-rebuilding-in-wake-of-deal-jason-heyward-shelby-miller-111714?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:foxsports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

The money knocking around in baseball is insane. $82 million for 5 years of Russell Martin?

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    The money knocking around in baseball all professional sports is insane.

FTFY.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    The money knocking around in baseball is insane. $82 million for 5 years of Russell Martin?

Around $68k a day for Stanton.

Deal done apparently. 13 years, $325m with a no-trade clause (probably one of the first ever for Miami) and an opt out option after year 5.

Largest North American contract in history. So no pressure then?
    Not sure how the Marlins are going to build a team around him but I guess they try and become competitive over the next few years...then hope when inevitable fire sale happens, he waives his no trade or opts out.

Looks like the crazy money is starting to be splashed about!

Was hoping the dodgers might pick up Russel Martin but not at that money. Great catcher but def won't maintain last seasons production at the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭boccy23

Coeus wrote: »
    Not sure how the Marlins are going to build a team around him but I guess they try and become competitive over the next few years...then hope when inevitable fire sale happens, he waives his no trade or opts out.

Looks like the crazy money is starting to be splashed about!

Jeffrey Loria is the most amazing flip flopper. Splashed out with the new stadium. Then dumped everyone 12 months later. Now signs the most outrageous contract ever.

What's the team direction now?

It made sense when they offloaded Reyes, Josh, Burhle et al, but now what do the Marlins do?

• Advertisement

boccy23 wrote: »
    Jeffrey Loria is the most amazing flip flopper. Splashed out with the new stadium. Then dumped everyone 12 months later. Now signs the most outrageous contract ever.

What's the team direction now?

It made sense when they offloaded Reyes, Josh, Burhle et al, but now what do the Marlins do?
    Loria wouldn't be so generous, its was the taxpayers of Miami-Dade that splashed out for that stadium.

Was reading about Stanton's contract and it is 'heavily' back-loaded in that the part before the opt-out only guarantees Stanton $107 million. For 6 years of a healthy Stanton that ain't bad, what happens after that who knows but the money will be on the table if he wants it.

I guess it was a move the Marlins had to make to get the fans back on their side and I think they will try to win in the short term. They have a good core of young players plus Stanton to build around. Will be interesting to see if they go back to FA market this offseason...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Coeus wrote: »
    Loria wouldn't be so generous, its was the taxpayers of Miami-Dade that splashed out for that stadium.

Was reading about Stanton's contract and it is 'heavily' back-loaded in that the part before the opt-out only guarantees Stanton $107. For 6 years of a healthy Stanton that ain't bad, what happens after that who knows but the money will be on the table if he wants it.

I guess it was a move the Marlins had to make to get the fans back on their side and I think they will try to win in the short term. They have a good core of young players plus Stanton to build around. Will be interesting to see if they go back to FA market this offseason...

Off topic but I got to see that stadium a few weeks ago and it's very impressive (bizarre home run sculpture aside). If only they had fans.

Boston splashing the cash a bit. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out as I'm sure they have a few pieces they'll need to offload to make room.

Thought Hanley would hold out for more but I'm guessing no one else was too interested in a longer term deal considering he can't stay healthy. His defense seems to be getting worse too. Boston obviously planning on winning it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭boccy23

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Thought Hanley would hold out for more but I'm guessing no one else was too interested in a longer term deal considering he can't stay healthy. His defense seems to be getting worse too. Boston obviously planning on winning it all now.

Will he go back to 3rd?

boccy23 wrote: »
    Will he go back to 3rd?
    According to Buster Olney he is going to play LF and Sandoval will slot in at third. Anyone know if he's played there before? He'll do less damage defensively out there.

Boston splashing the cash a bit. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out as I'm sure they have a few pieces they'll need to offload to make room.
    Indeed, I would have thought starting pitching would have been their priority in the free agent market.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

I don't think the fans in Boston will be as patient as the SF fans when it comes to Sandoval. His weight issues and streaky play can be very frustrating to watch during rough patches in the regular season. His super post season displays bought him a lot of leeway in SF. For $90 mill Red sox will want instant success.

When you add Hanley in to the mix at another $80 mill and all his injury issues I can't see it being good business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't think the fans in Boston will be as patient as the SF fans when it comes to Sandoval. His weight issues and streaky play can be very frustrating to watch during rough patches in the regular season. His super post season displays bought him a lot of leeway in SF. For $90 mill Red sox will want instant success.

Sandoval's slash line for 2014:

.279/.324/.415 + 16HR

Red Sox 3rd basemen in 2014:

.211/.271/.308 + 10HR

Easier to be patient with Panda than Will Middlebrooks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

8-10 wrote: »
    Sandoval's slash line for 2014:

.279/.324/.415 + 16HR

Red Sox 3rd basemen in 2014:

.211/.271/.308 + 10HR

Easier to be patient with Panda than Will Middlebrooks

Thats true but I think expectations will be a lot higher with a salary difference of about $22 million per year between them.

Advertisement