Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 Footballer Of The Year.

Options
  • 04-08-2015 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

So then, who is it going to be?

So far, the usual suspects....Cooper, O'Shea, Brogan, Connolly... all have their hands up. But is there a dark horse that will come from the back? McManus, McBrearty, someone I'm forgetting?

Still up in the air imo, with no real front runner, the way that there was last year with JO'D

Place your bets now folks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

David Moran should have a big chance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Funny, was thinking about this today.

There is no stand out candidate thus far, if you look at last year JOD had it sown up in July. He lit up the championship to be fair to him and these awards tend to favour attacking/flair players, Neil McGee had an extremely strong claim
    otherwise even from early on. Haven't had that this year.

There's been plenty of debate over Michael Murphy and Diarmuid Connolly this year but I'm not sure if either can lay a claim to being footballer of the year at present.

One suspects it'll be whichever player catches fire now for the last 2/3 games and drags their team to Sam or a final. It's set up for Aidan O Shea I think, he's gotten the early plaudits and a lot of publicity with the move to full forward so he's already in the consciousness, a few more performances out of him and it'd be hard to pass him by for it.

Out of everyone so far I'd probably give it to Moran but I do enjoy a good midfielder so I'm biased.

Whats the bookies say on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I genuinely think McManus has been the best footballer in the country so far. The most big performances in actual tight games. Moran would be next for me.

But nobody has been so much better that it won't go to the All-Ireland winning team. So it makes McManus a little bit less likely as Monaghan have a good few tough games to get through before they win it.

Moran, Murphy, O'Shea, Connolly probably the standouts from their teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Diarmuid Connolly- 9/4
    David Moran- 5/2
    James O'Donoghue- 11/2
    Aidan O'Shea- 7/1
    Bernard Brogan- 9/1
    Michael Murphy- 10/1
    Colm Cooper- 10/1
    Conor McManus- 16/1
    Paul Flynn- 16/1
    Ciaran Kilkenny- 22/1
    Jack McCaffrey- 28/1
    Peter Harte- 33/1
    Cillian O'Connor- 33/1
    Paddy McBrearty- 40/1
    Sean Cavanagh- 50/1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Top 5 according to PP.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-football/all-ireland-sfc?ev_oc_grp_ids=1007817

Connolly
    Moran
    JO'D
    O'Shea
    Brogan

It hasn't been updated since Saturday, so I'd say JO'D has dropped down in the rankings, given his injury.

The thing about O'Shea is that he generally always comes into this time of year, with a lot of plaudits swirling around him. Think Mayo would have to actually win the AI, for him to get it. Or for Mayo to make it to a final, with him playing brilliantly & all of the other contenders playing poorly. What are the odds of that happening?

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Top 5 according to PP.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-football/all-ireland-sfc?ev_oc_grp_ids=1007817

Connolly
    Moran
    JO'D
    O'Shea
    Brogan

It hasn't been updated since Saturday, so I'd say JO'D has dropped down in the rankings, given his injury.

The thing about O'Shea is that he generally always comes into this time of year, with a lot of plaudits swirling around him. Think Mayo would have to actually win the AI, for him to get it. Or for Mayo to make it to a final, with him playing brilliantly & all of the other contenders playing poorly. What are the odds of that happening?

Pretty sure those are the odds after the Kerry and Dublin games. JOD may drift more yet, but he was a clear second favourite behind Connolly last week while the likes of Moran, Brogan, Gooch and Murphy were all longer odds.

I think the likes of McManus has drifted also, but then a Monaghan win this weekend with a big performance from him would shorten them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Definitely won't be O'Donoghue unless he has a brilliant semi final and potentially final.He's been good but no more than that so far.

Connolly,Moran and McManus are the 3 in form players in the country at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

McManus, O'Shea and Moran for me.

Connolly has shown flashes of brilliance and Bernard Brogan has been scoring great tallies.

I'll never stop banging this drum but Donnacha Walsh is incredible. Not flashy enough for POTY, but his importance to Kerry is second to none.

He is the best foot passer in the country, and his brain is on another level spotting runners inside.

Take a look at All the Team of the Week selections and he's nowhere to be seen.

Likewise Anthony Maher. Because Moran is so good next to him, Maher is somewhat overshadowed. His dominance in the air, footballing intelligence, and sublime foot passing make up for his somewhat wayward shot taking. Look at his passes for Gooch's second goal and O'Brien's goal. Beautiful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

David Moran obv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

DDC1990 wrote: »
    McManus, O'Shea and Moran for me.

Connolly has shown flashes of brilliance and Bernard Brogan has been scoring great tallies.

I'll never stop banging this drum but Donnacha Walsh is incredible. Not flashy enough for POTY, but his importance to Kerry is second to none.

He is the best foot passer in the country, and his brain is on another level spotting runners inside.

Take a look at All the Team of the Week selections and he's nowhere to be seen.

Likewise Anthony Maher. Because Moran is so good next to him, Maher is somewhat overshadowed. His dominance in the air, footballing intelligence, and sublime foot passing make up for his somewhat wayward shot taking. Look at his passes for Gooch's second goal and O'Brien's goal. Beautiful stuff.

In the first game against Cork it was Moran and Sheehan midfield and when Moran was black-carded Maher came on.

In the replay Moran and Maher started together and there was a world of difference.

I'd go as far as saying that starting Sheehan midfield ahead of Maher in the first Cork game was the single worst decision of Fitmzurice's management career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

shrewdness wrote: »
    David Moran should have a big chance imo.

sensational player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

How can Connolly be in contention at this stage? He has kicked a few nice points from distance under no pressure.

It terms of match impact he is behind:
    Moran, Murphy, Quigley, O Shea, McManus, etc.

I dont doubt that he is an excellent footballer and one of the most talented in the country but there seems to be a blurring of the lines here (similar to last year) as the award isn't for the best player- it's for the best performer.

He may well prove me wrong and be the key man who helps Dublin win a 3rd AI in quick succession- and if he does then he will deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

The AI winner takes it irrespective of whether it's merited or not. The obvious exception was Bernard in 2010 not even making the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

I think Brogan should be ahead of Connolly this year. Thought Connolly hasnt been as good in the last two games. Brogan has been immense all year.

For League and Championship performances it has to be David Moran. He has been unbelievable from midfield and he is one lad I wouldnt like to get a tackle from.

Conor Mcmanus and AOS are my other two who should be in contention. If O'Donoghue hadn't won it last year he'd be up there but I cant see it happening unless hes goes scoring crazy in the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

How can Connolly be in contention at this stage? He has kicked a few nice points from distance under no pressure.

I dont doubt that he is an excellent footballer and one of the most talented in the country but there seems to be a blurring of the lines here (similar to last year) as the award isn't for the best player- it's for the best performer.

He may well prove me wrong and be the key man who helps Dublin win a 3rd AI in quick succession- and if he does then he will deserve it.

In fairness to him he's been MOTM twice I think. People may question the opposition but you still have to perform to expose said opposition. He's done that.

For what its worth Jack McCaffrey has been Dublins best player. But a half back isn't going to win unless its clear cut. Which it isn't.

Too early anyway. Good performance in semi or final wins it for anyone really.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    The AI winner takes it irrespective of whether it's merited or not. The obvious exception was Bernard in 2010 not even making the final.

Stevie McDonnell in 2003, Canavan in 95 too I think? It's rare but it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

Surely Frank Mcglynn is up there with the best of them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lol so all the Kerry lads think Moran is the best player. It's always the same lads picking their own county players.:)

I think it will most likely come form the winning team again. The player will have at least have to have made it to the semi finals and played well in it.

It think AOS could win it if he makes the final and plays well even if they lose it.

Moran is the only Kerry candidate atm and a very strong one at that, he should do the businesses againat Monaghan but Lennon is going well this year again.

Don't think Dublin or Donegal have a stand out performer, but obviously that could all change over two or three games just like JOD or Gooch could nail it going forward.

One thing for McManus, he's the only one to have done the businesses against a top team in the championship this year, no disrespect to Cork or Moran but he won't win player of the year for beating Kildare even though he was class, Kildare had already received many hidings this year.

I still think that if it played out that AOS made it to the final having won against Donegal and Dublin and if they met Kerry if he played well he'd get it as it would be the toughest path to follow, the Donegal lads would have that on their side too
    I'm going for AOS his performance against Sligo was as impressive/one sided as anything we've seen , Kerry are just a little fresher in our minds atm.
    imho there is nobody else on that side of the draw its the toughest and the other candidates are all on the other side competing with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Moran for me at the moment is the most likely candidate.Conor McManus has been the stand out player thus far in the Championship but is maybe a little less likely to progress deeper into the championship.

Plenty of time for a Dublin player to step up to the plate,nobody has stood out as yet.Ditto a Donegal player could win POTY what with the extremely difficult half of the draw they have to navigate...Murphy,McNiallas,Gallagher.

I think Aidan O Shea will have to put in an epic final performance if Mayo fall at the final hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MattB11

McManus has stood out most for me, but I can't see Monaghan making the AI final and as has been already said the winner will most likely come from a finalist so I think it'll be between Moran and Connolly (I'd go with Moran)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

yea McManus or Moran for me. If McManus is as good in the next game I think win lose or draw he'd be in with a shout..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

To be fair to Connolly and all of the Dublin players its pretty hard to have ''match impact'' when they havent been in a match yet. The championship is in essence only starting now so its far too early to be picking a player of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

tanko wrote: »
    Surely Frank Mcglynn is up there with the best of them.

I actually think McGlynn has slipped back a bit since previous years, and has resorted a fouling slighter more often.

Still a great player, but not a genuine POTY contender this year I would say

danganabu wrote: »
    To be fair to Connolly and all of the Dublin players its pretty hard to have ''match impact'' when they havent been in a match yet. The championship is in essence only starting now so its far too early to be picking a player of the season.

I agree- thats why I asked "How can he be in contention at this stage"

The winner will come from the winner- so I assume that's why people are suggesting Connolly. In reality and as things stand now- he shouldn't be under consideration for POTY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

For Connolly to win POTY, Dublin need to win Sam Maguire and he needs two massive games in the semi final and final.
    Not impossible of course. But he'd need to almost be MOTM in both games to be even ahead of B.Brogan or McCaffrey.

Whereas Moran probably could win it with just one more big game. He's definitely ahead at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Think if murphy had two massive games i think he'd get poty . Means playing him at 14, as hes supposed to be injured ,which gallaher doesn't seem to like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

danganabu wrote: »

Think you can say the same about O'Shea too. What "matches" have Mayo been in yet & what tests has O'Shea really had? If Mayo win at the weekend and he plays a major role, I think he will move into the top spot, ahead of even Moran.

Moran is having a great year, no doubt about it. But beating last years AI finalists in Croke Park is really something. Beating/drawing with an out of sorts Cork team (at home) & a Div 3 team, is not at the same level as what Mayo will achieve if they beat Donegal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Yeah McManus ahead for me too, oozes class.

Then followed by the whole Dublin team. Then Moran.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Yeah McManus ahead for me too, oozes class.

Then followed by the whole Dublin team. Then Moran.

Surely Bernard Dunne is ahead of Moran aswell?
    He was brought some serious lifestyle changes to the Dublin team???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Surely Bernard Dunne is ahead of Moran aswell?
    He was brought some serious lifestyle changes to the Dublin team???

I used to be a member of one of his gyms myself, so he's not just made lifestyle changes to the Dublin team, but Dublin as a whole. Some man.

Advertisement