Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

mickstupp wrote: »
    I have zero desire to do any study whatsoever. It's such a nice day outside I think I'd prefer to just play video games.

It's a nice day out, so you want to stay inside??? :confused:

9Rk8KCR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Is the gym open during exam seasons? What about during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The gym is closed while the exams are on, because the sports halls are used for exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Makes sense. Does it open again once exams are over?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Wendero wrote: »
    Makes sense. Does it open again once exams are over?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Wayne Scary Balance

I'm pretty sure the gym is open during exams. Open to correction though. The summer is a glorious time in the gym though, basically becomes a near private gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What do ye think is the latest time to get a seat in the library. Didn't get in until 10 this morning and the place was pretty full. I consider myself lucky to have gotten a seat to be honest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

thelad95 wrote: »
    What do ye think is the latest time to get a seat in the library. Didn't get in until 10 this morning and the place was pretty full. I consider myself lucky to have gotten a seat to be honest.

I think it really just depends on luck tbh
    Obviously if you go as soon as the library opens youll get one, but ive never gone to the library to study before 12 and ive always managed to get somewhere. And just be clever like around lunch time/after lunch have a snoop around to see if theres a better seat available (eg a booth or one with a socket) and again around when people would be leaving for dinner.

Somehow or another Ive never had to actually walk out of the library from it.

I really should be in Maynooth right now, getting nothing done at home arghhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I'm pretty sure the gym is open during exams. Open to correction though. The summer is a glorious time in the gym though, basically becomes a near private gym.

Pretty sure you're right. It was open during the Christmas exam period, so I don't see why it wouldn't be for the summer exams.

Pope, Gym != Sports Hall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

marko93 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you're right. It was open during the Christmas exam period, so I don't see why it wouldn't be for the summer exams.

Pope, Gym != Sports Hall

Just the sports halls themselves are closed.

• Advertisement

Now that I think of it, I think the gym was closed between the end of the January exams and the beginning of the second semester.

I remember people complaining last January about the sound of treadmills when doing exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Few years ago had a crap exam in one of the sports halls where all we could hear was muppets doing weights.

I think I can remember someone posting here about getting distracted by the noises made by people using the gym, and I think someone else suggested talking to the examiners about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

For those who were talking about getting seats in the library, if you dont care where you sit you should get one at any time, if you want a (working)socket you need to be in latest at 9 I found last year.. there are people there as sokn as it opens and closer to exams = less seats..

Are they still leaving notes on unattended desks?

It appears Facebook has been blocked on the college wifi..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

iv taken to studying at home, actually getting on well and saving diesel goin to maynooth ,. i plugged out broadband there for a few hours was a great job just books and notes

Does the library open earlier during exams? I've an exam at 9:30 tomorrow and I am sincerely screwed for it. Could do with some early morning cramming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Does the library open earlier during exams? I've an exam at 9:30 tomorrow and I am sincerely screwed for it. Could do with some early morning cramming

Library opens at 8 but you can always try the reading room in the Arts Block, that should be open from 7 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It appears Facebook has been blocked on the college wifi..

Do you mean on college computers, or the actual WiFi?

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    Do you mean on college computers, or the actual WiFi?

For like an hour today, anyone using the college wi-fi couldn't access Facebook. It was working on eduroam though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

that could be a godsend in fairness

Dickie10 wrote: »
    that could be a godsend in fairness

I think some colleges have it blocked from 9-5. It is amazing the amount of people who sit down at a valuable plug space for hours on end on Facebook. I'm one of them to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Good luck everyone!

Is it weird that what I'm dreading most is those eight eejits with really loud shoes who stand there looking at your ID and pencil case for half an hour each?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SiobhainD

Lads Is there any other place to study on campus? Can we go into empty lecture halls? I was thinking of heading into iontas but just wanted to check you even can. I've been pretty unsuccessfully in getting a seat unless i go in after 6pm or a friend leaves and gives me one. I'm not having much luck at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

SiobhainD wrote: »
    Lads Is there any other place to study on campus? Can we go into empty lecture halls? I was thinking of heading into iontas but just wanted to check you even can. I've been pretty unsuccessfully in getting a seat unless i go in after 6pm or a friend leaves and gives me one. I'm not having much luck at home!

I've often studied in empty lecture halls. You may not get into Iontas with the foyer being used for exams but try upstairs in JH.

SiobhainD wrote: »

I think most of JH is locked up at the moment. I think you're best bet is to try get into the library before 10am, it seems to be prettty much full to capacity by then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I've often studied in empty lecture halls. You may not get into Iontas with the foyer being used for exams but try upstairs in JH.

Upstairs in JH are exam rooms. Don't go there.

Arts block? I normally give a space in the reading room and there's also the halls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Anyone know what new building is gonna be on the construction site in North Campus beside the apartments (Not the nearly finished Eolas building, the new site right down the back by the pitches).

Advertisement