Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland World cup Songs

• 08-08-2005 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the names of the big Irish world cup songs that were around in the 1988 Euro championships and the 1990 World Cup. There's one song I can't think of but its based on "We didn't start the fire" by Bruice Springsteen. Does anyone know if they are available on CD????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

"Ray Houghten Liverpool, Ronnie Whelan so cool...." haha...hard to get id say....try one of your local radio stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭bullock

Thats some of the lyrics ... Do you know of any other good world cup songs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

There was a tape with a load of them on it for the 90 world cup, got it free in garages (think I threw it out last year). But you can't beat "put em under pressure"....class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

We didn't start the fire was the remix of Billy Joel's song not Bruce Springstein.

There was also Put Em Under Pressure ('90) which i have on mp3 for anyone that wants?

Give it a lash jack, were all part of jackies army, Mighy Quinn (re release), and Joe O'Toole - Were going to America (for 94) were all other irish footie songs.

God I'm so sad to remember all of those!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Ah remember them all well. The best one was "World Cup...Ire...land...World Cup...Ire...land..." Pretty sure those were the only lyrics. May be mistaken. Classic. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Give it a lash jack, give it a lash jack, never never never say no, ireland ireland repubilic (no spelling mistake there) of ireland rev it up and here we go...

"Mama Mia, Mama Mia, what a wonderful team
    The one Jackie built
    The one in emerald green"

Ah Jaysus they are starting to come back now.
    Damn you Bullock, damn you to hell.

Thanks for correcting that. It was Billy Joel. Send on any MP3's you have of these world cup songs or where I could get them.

iregk wrote:
    We didn't start the fire was the remix of Billy Joel's song not Bruce Springstein.

There was also Put Em Under Pressure ('90) which i have on mp3 for anyone that wants?

Give it a lash jack, were all part of jackies army, Mighy Quinn (re release), and Joe O'Toole - Were going to America (for 94) were all other irish footie songs.

God I'm so sad to remember all of those!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Still can't find it though
    Another re-working, but this time of a more recent tune is `The Game' by The Memorieswhich is musically identical to Billy Joel's recent world-wide smash `We Didn't Start The Fire'. Joel was so impressed with the version that he learnt the new lyrics and performed the it at his Dublin concert on Saturday.

I can't find it either!!!! Are they available on a website??

• Advertisement

Where did you get the mp3's ... Can you send them on please. I've got World Cup Fever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

In '88 you had 'Give it a Lash Jack' as the official song, brutal
    '90 'Put 'em under pressure' was the official one but you had also as stated above the Memories with their re-make of the Billy Joel song and that twat that used to be on the Jerry Ryan show, what the hell was his name ???, that sang ‘Que Sera, Sear’, terrible muck.
    Then in ’94 you had the worst of the lot, ‘Watch your House for Ireland (goodbye Europe Hello USA)’ the official song with lyrics like ‘In Orlando, Magic Wando’ ?????, where do they come up with this tripe……Some people dubbed it ‘Burn your house for Ireland’.

The only one I remember from ’02 is something called ‘Sianara to Connemara’……

Why can’t we have goof world cup songs like the English, ‘World in Motion’ was good and ‘Three Lions’ was so good it was even No 1 here in Ireland.

Don't talk rubbish Pol .... There was no way that three lions was No. 1 in Ireland, No way it would have made it into the top 40.

bullock wrote:
    Don't talk rubbish Pol .... There was no way that three lions was No. 1 in Ireland, No way it would have made it into the top 40.

As far as I recall it was No 1. in the summer of '96 during Euro '96, I'll try and find evidence.

Now what was the name of yer man on teh Jerry Ryan show ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

Ive been looking for an Italia 90 album I had for ages it had the following songs and more.
    /give it a lash jack
    2/horaay horayy
    3/team that jack built
    4/Boys in green
    5/oh ahh paul mcgrath,
    6/bless them all
    7/que sera sera
    8/ mama mia what a beautiful team

I guess I should give up, I have looked everywhere, anyone have this tape????

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I had a tape with 4 or 6 songs on it, got it around 94 World Cup I think. Some of them were terrible!

- "Ireland will always win" being one...

- "Put em under Pressure" .... feel the hairs raise on the back of your neck as the opening guitar riff comes in!!

Just found this about Noel Gallagher saying he would write Ireland a World Cup Song back in 2001 for half a million quid:

http://www.showbizireland.com/news/october01/12-oasis04.shtml

Yeah, read he was asked to write for the English team, but said he would'nt because of his Irish roots. Good man Noel, live forever.

madfistbt wrote:
    5/oh ahh paul mcgrath,

Oh God what a pile of s**te,
    'He's the greatest defender in the whole wide world, he's the one they call, the black perl, I said oh ahh paul mcgrath, oh ahh paul mcgrath....'

It's scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

por wrote:
    Oh God what a pile of s**te,
    'He's the greatest defender in the whole wide world, he's the one they call, the black perl, I said oh ahh paul mcgrath, oh ahh paul mcgrath....'

It's scary

No the version on the album was completely differnt to this ****e. It was the late great dermot morgan from father ted doing a rap about paul mcgrath in various accents, quite funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Dr. Bill

Anyone got any .mp3's or .wav files of Irish soccer songs???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Dr. Bill

Anyone got a copy of any of Ireland's world cup songs on .mp3 or .wav format????

I can't find any Dr. Bill. You have any luck??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭gre_soul

here you go --> http://rapidshare.de/files/22889486/Larry_Mullen_Put_Em_Under_Pressure.mp3.html
    Put 'em Under Pressure

Version: Single Version (3:57) First Appears On: Put 'Em Under Pressure Single, 1990
    Written By: Larry Mullen (Co-wrote & Produced) Performed By: Larry on Drums?

Ole, Ole Ole Ole, Ole, Ole
    Ole, Ole Ole Ole, Ole

We've qualified for the World Cup
    Go and compete

We're prepared, a new goal
    We'll do our best
    We'll Put 'em Under Pressure, defense, defense

The game is about
    Being effective
    Being aggressive
    Winning the ball
    Getting it on with the play
    We'll Put 'em Under Pressure

We're all part of jackie's army
    We're all off to win the league
    And we really shake them up
    When we win the World Cup
    Cause Ireland's are the greatest football team

Put 'em Under Pressure

It's not going to be easy for us
    But it's not going to be easy for them either
    Watch, watch, watch the people
    Watch the people, watch the people, watch the people, defense, defense
    We inflict our game on the people
    Put 'em Under Pressure, defense, defense, defense, defense

You gotta give, you gotta give, you gotta give to win
    Goal!

Put 'em Under Pressure

We're all part of Jackie's army

Put 'em Under Pressure

Cause Ireland's are the greatest football...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

"We're all part of Jackie's army
    We're all off to win the league"

Was it not "We`re all off to It-a-leee" surely? Its been a while but I couldve sworn it was Italy.

And sure back in the days when it looked like we would sail through our group we were all substituting Jackie for "Brians army" and "we`re all off to Ger-ma-nee" :(

Ah well, I ended up working through 90% of this World Cup, maybe its best for me we didnt make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Was it not "We`re all off to It-a-leee" surely? Its been a while but I couldve sworn it was Italy.

you're right.

and if i can remember correctly there was a huge thread on this about 6-8 months ago and i think mp3's were posting, might be worth checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

There were videos posted on www.foot.ie recently, one of which featured the Game by Memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I think "Put 'em Under Pressure", was based on Horslips song Dearg Doom. Well the main guitar riff was lifted from it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

For WC2002 I think the official song was A House's Here Come The Good Times, which was a load of poo imo.
    Much preferred " I'm Mick Mc Carthys Baby" to the tune of David Byrne's Lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I read the title of this thread and it reminded me of a tape I had "World Cup me Arse"...funny stuff. Well I thought it was funny :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bedrock1001

Advertisement