Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It appears that reserve recruitment has ceased

• 23-07-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I was just on the phone to the reserve office in Dublin and public appointments and both have told me that the focus has turned to the full time trainees and gone from the reserves. No more interviews have been scheduled for the foreseeable future

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

JonathanP wrote: »
    I was just on the phone to the reserve office in Dublin and public appointments and both have told me that the focus has turned to the full time trainees and gone from the reserves. No more interviews have been scheduled for the foreseeable future

About time......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The drip drip began when many of the current Reserves didn't get through the recruitment campaign. I honestly believe that the Garda Management don't know or want to know what to do with the Reserves

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    About time......

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

What do you mean?

The focus needs to be on recruitment of Gardai not part time reserves

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    The focus needs to be on recruitment of Gardai not part time reserves

I can't see why both can't be maintained? Yes full time will have more to learn and contend with in terms of college work but surely the reservists could be trained along the full time in the classes that the reserves have power?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

I can't see why both can't be maintained? Yes full time will have more to learn and contend with in terms of college work but surely the reservists could be trained along the full time in the classes that the reserves have power?

This should have been done from the very start integration between both groups, this is the whole reason this is broken and cant be fixed, there are too many in the upper groups in the park that are responsible for the overseeing of the force that are anti reserves so unless they get rid of them and bring in people from other forces to run it they might as well disband it.

In its present state its worth nothing to anyone is it any wonder the full timers don't want us out with them to be honest what are we or can we do, yes three people in yellow jackets are better than two and looks great.... "but" people in the know who see GR on their shoulder know the score and dont care that you are there as they know you have no powers.

Hopefully for the sake of An Garda Siochana that the new Commissioner comes from outside the ranks and is from the Uk who will hopefully integrate the members better and give the reserves the tools to do the job they were intended to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

I agree with you bluetop, but have the Reserve not got there new powers yet ? and to be honest the GR not many people no what that stands for no one i know, didnt have a clue what the GR ment they just thought was the gards number , i would love to see an outsider come and change it up .

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    I agree with you bluetop, but have the Reserve not got there new powers yet ? and to be honest the GR not many people no what that stands for no one i know, didnt have a clue what the GR ment they just thought was the gards number , i would love to see an outsider come and change it up .

It will be a year in November since the up-skilling took place another farce and half arsed afford to apiece the reserve members into thinking this was coming, and still not happened....... most likely wont.

The people in the know on the street know well what the GR is on the top of the epulet means dont be fooled, yes a clean sweep is what is needed in order for integration to happen correctly.

What ??? it still hasnt been given, what are they doing sending people on upskilling courses for ? well if the powers were given the GR on the epulet wouldnt matter . the AGS here havent a clue , in UK they have it so much better .

Btw iv been waiting 2 years since i past my interview and havent got any call for training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I wonder will they continue with the reserves atall? I think they may just keep the ones they have and not start recruitment again? i mean for people wanting to VOLUNTEER their times this is a joke..

i'm with the civil defence and if they done somthing similar i'd tell where to go......

Complete joke

Btw iv been waiting 2 years since i past my interview and havent got any call for training

Its not likely to happen at this point now or any time soon, they dont have a clue what to do with what they have, they need to take a leaf out of the Uk model 8yrs on and things are just the same as day one.

No powers under the public orders act, what a joke no powers under S41 for no road tax yet you have for no insurance, the whole irish reserve concept is a joke, we are a laughing stock to other forces who have a reserve force, people willing to give up their free time treated like ........ i will let you fill the blanks in yourself

They all speak about the moral of the full time force been at a low ebe do you ever hear them speaking about the moral of the reserve force which is in tatters, does anyone care nope sure we are there to be used and abused, well guess what we are all to blame because we let them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Complete joke

You are only getting the joke now. Most of us got it ages ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

Ah here...sent in my application weeks ago, feck that

weeks that go into months that go into years here

Guys believe me you are missing nothing except the uniform you can do as much not wearing it as you can with it on, so don't beat yourself up over it until they get a proper handle on it like the Uk have which will prob never happen its not going to work and will stay broken, nobody wants to take responsibility for it and the people who are now entrusted with it could not be bothered, maybe the new commis will do a clean sweep and the future reserves will have a chance to make a change.

I think these are very true points especially in regards the top ranks but if noreen becomes comissioner does any body think she'll re organise the GR? Bluetops you said you hope for them to open it up to the UK? i can imagine significant backlash from everyone including other police forces. Im not anti brittish or anything like that. If they can do a good clean job in running AGS and GR i say bring them on
    But I cant imagine noreen not getting it so will anything change?

I think these are very true points especially in regards the top ranks but if noreen becomes comissioner does any body think she'll re organise the GR? Bluetops you said you hope for them to open it up to the UK? i can imagine significant backlash from everyone including other police forces. Im not anti brittish or anything like that. If they can do a good clean job in running AGS and GR i say bring them on
    But I cant imagine noreen not getting it so will anything change?

I would be surprised if Noreen gets the job its all ready in the process of been tendered out, same as the the other one in the Justice Department they have a group of experts going to choose the best person for the job.

bluetop wrote: »
    I would be surprised if Noreen gets the job its all ready in the process of been tendered out, same as the the other one in the Justice Department they have a group of experts going to choose the best person for the job.

It Would be a terrible kick in the teeth if she doesnt though... who ever gets it, they wont change the recruiting regime id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

can anyone explain what is the nub of the issue as regards why there is such negetivity from AGS towards the whole concept of reserves.

Copaholic wrote: »
    can anyone explain what is the nub of the issue as regards why there is such negetivity from AGS towards the whole concept of reserves.

Initially I think it was believed that the reserves were going to replace full timers. Also because reserves have such little power its hard to utilise them properly.

Thats My own opinion and im open to correction

Thanks for replying.

what you say makes sence.

Im wondering nearly 8 years on since the start of the reserves why are they not more accepted and why are those that are managing them at HQ not more positive about the reserves ?

Why bring them in and then not manage them and utilise them properly.

Copaholic wrote: »
    Thanks for replying.

what you say makes sence.

Im wondering nearly 8 years on since the start of the reserves why are they not more accepted and why are those that are managing them at HQ not more positive about the reserves ?

Why bring them in and then not manage them and utilise them properly.

Where does one start with this one, lack of integration is one reason, the GRA telling their members Reserves where going to replace the overtime which was a total lie, GRA telling their members not to work with reserves same with AGSI, every year bar this year is the only year Reserves where not on the agenda.

Staunch GRA members refusing to take reserves either out in vehicles or on the beat, and this been allowed by the Sgt, lack of powers or independent patrol, and last but not least the two main people responsible for the overseeing of the reserves are ANTI reserves and could not care less if it works or not, ad last be not least if reserves dont show up from one month to another nobody cares as they are seen more so as a hindrance then an extra pair of hands.

Why bother spending money and resources on the reserves then over the years.

Is this a case where politics bring them in and the AGS not wanting them ?.

The reserves are people who are caught in the crossfire of all of this---what a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

lads,

i'v a huge intrest in policing, i'v attended relevant courses in the hope it'd look impressive, I'm working with a community based organisation and I would love nothing more than to go full time in the future but i'd never want to join the reserves with the mess it's been since day 1.. It's laughable how the reserves are being treated.. I really can't see many reserves sticking with it now for the reasons outlined already

1. no powers
    2. given no resposibilities
    3. hated by the full timers
    4. not given priority when it came to recruitment
    5. and now any potential reserves are being told no recruitment for the forseable future..

f~ck that..................

I must point out that not all reserves are treated this way. Being a full timer as a thankless job, reserves are no different. You are going to meet a** wipes no matter what Job your in so its what you make out of the position. You take out what you put in no matter what the circumstsnce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

I don't think it's necessarily as bad as some people are making it out to be, yes there is no doubt that there are major issues with the Garda Reserve, but sadly not enough people who matter care to do anything about it. As it stands the Garda Reserve serves little or no purpose, and as we saw recently it doesn't even help you to get into the full time force, so what purpose does the Garda Reserve serve? The Garda Reserve was brought in as a pet project of Michael Mc Dowell, and while it was a great idea, without the support of the Gardai it was always going to struggle. Forcing through something without some financial benefit to the full timers was never going to work, and while there has been somewhat of a slow acceptance by some members down through the years, were a survey to be carried out tomorrow, I would say that 95% of all full timers would vote to get rid of the Reserve.
    You then have the idiots up in the Park who aren't even capable of running the full time force properly, so what chance do the Reserves have? In the upper echelons of AGS you have men and women who haven't been on the beat in years if not decades, whose only aim is to go as high as they can, and who know little or nothing about Policing on the ground. If these clowns knew anything or weren't afraid of their own shadow they would know that under the current financial restraints Reserves could play a huge part in policing this country. Were Reserves with at last two year's experience and subject to having completed relevant training allowed to go on the beat on their own (IPS), in a stroke the Garda Reserve would be transformed and we would serve a major purpose. However this will never happen under current Garda management, as the majority of them are anti-Reserve, and just prefer to sit back doing nothing like they have been doing for decades. We need major change in AGS, and while I kind of like Noirin O'Sullivan, the Garda Resrve will never advance until an outside Commish is brought in, preferably one who has worked in the UK and is well used to Special Constables and PCSOs.

gilly2308 wrote: »
    I don't think it's necessarily as bad as some people are making it out to be, yes there is no doubt that there are major issues with the Garda Reserve, but sadly not enough people who matter care to do anything about it. As it stands the Garda Reserve serves little or no purpose, and as we saw recently it doesn't even help you to get into the full time force, so what purpose does the Garda Reserve serve? The Garda Reserve was brought in as a pet project of Michael Mc Dowell, and while it was a great idea, without the support of the Gardai it was always going to struggle. Forcing through something without some financial benefit to the full timers was never going to work, and while there has been somewhat of a slow acceptance by some members down through the years, were a survey to be carried out tomorrow, I would say that 95% of all full timers would vote to get rid of the Reserve.
    You then have the idiots up in the Park who aren't even capable of running the full time force properly, so what chance do the Reserves have? In the upper echelons of AGS you have men and women who haven't been on the beat in years if not decades, whose only aim is to go as high as they can, and who know little or nothing about Policing on the ground. If these clowns knew anything or weren't afraid of their own shadow they would know that under the current financial restraints Reserves could play a huge part in policing this country. Were Reserves with at last two year's experience and subject to having completed relevant training allowed to go on the beat on their own (IPS), in a stroke the Garda Reserve would be transformed and we would serve a major purpose. However this will never happen under current Garda management, as the majority of them are anti-Reserve, and just prefer to sit back doing nothing like they have been doing for decades. We need major change in AGS, and while I kind of like Noirin O'Sullivan, the Garda Resrve will never advance until an outside Commish is brought in, preferably one who has worked in the UK and is well used to Special Constables and PCSOs.

well said i couldnt fault any point you have made. If only we could do something to make the brass look at what potential the GR has and could could bring to the table.

• Advertisement

well in the last few months the whole country has seen how internal matters have been dealt with in AGS.
    With a new commissioner now required its a real opportunity to introduce some radical and much needed reform to include how the reserves are been utilised.
    an outsider is whats required but will they have the b**** to do it.?

Advertisement