Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snooker World Championship 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

A bit of a contradiction I know, but for me it seems the standard has gone up in snooker in the last decade or so, but in general it seems the players at the top don't have the same natural ability as the players at the top from even the early/mid 2000's, barring the likes of Higgins/O'Sullivan who have been there throughout both. The exception would be Trump, but he's been highly inconsistent of late. Bags of talent though

How he won today I d'ont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Marko Fu Won.

Robertson winning 6-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

When is Doherty playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

You can work out all the fixtures from the draw here and the format here. Here's what I make of it:

Ken Doherty vs Alan McManus (best of 25 frames)
    14:30 Frid: Session 1 (8 frames)
    10:00 Sat: Session 2 (8 frames)
    19:00 Sat: Session 3 (9 frames)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

just checked the links.
    Not very informative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Does anybody think Marco Fu can win it this year? He is playing some nice stuff.

Going to miss the 7pm session on sat. damn.
    thank god recording was invented. :D

Didnt see any of Fu's match but why not. from what I have seen so far, I cant say that anyone is a dead cert besides maybe O'Sullivan and Roberston, because he is No1.

SarahBM wrote: »
    Going to miss the 7pm session on sat. damn.
    thank god recording was invented. :D

Ah don't worry about the Saturday night session.

Ken will have done the business by lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

ebbsy wrote: »
    How he won today I d'ont know.

Was watching this match closely today. I don't mean to sound like an expert but to me it looks like Trump has a very serious flaw in his cueing action. If you watch closely, when he takes a shot there is movement in the elbow of his bridging hand/arm. This is more obvious when he's stretching. Maybe its just that he played so poorly today that I was focussing on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭420

Anyone else reckon that players are sometimes being coached by commentators during play as audience have ear peices? so all i watch sport wise is snooker pool f1 . anyone that watches the snooker will know that players can hear these headsets/ear peice and sometimes the referee has to ask them to turn them down.
    There was time in the dale v Davis match where Dale was complating on a shot . 3 red at bulk and one other red that looked an impossible to cut into bottom right corner. So he taking his time on what shot to play , he's about play a red along bottom cusion when next you hear is griffets saying' if he pays this shot he could leave a red
    open an i think the red to the corner is cuttable' Dale jumps up and takes on the cuttable red.
    Another example was in the trump match. He sort of snookers himself on a red blocked by blue . He takes a long hard look at it and is unsure if white ball
    will pass blue for red. Looks at it for a min .You can hear Taylor say 'lets see if hawkeye can see', 'yes it does pass' and he then takes his shot.
    Does this infringe on the rules , where no coaching is allowed?

Ps Dale will win!

• Advertisement

That's a really interesting point, but would the players really be able to hear that clearly. Often on the train or something, people have their headphones in listening to the radio or music. You can hear it but its never clear enough to make it out. I'm jot sure if the players can hear clearly enough for the commentary to influence the shots they may or may not take. Well that's just what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

420 wrote: »
    Anyone else reckon that players are sometimes being coached by commentators during play as audience have ear peices? so all i watch sport wise is snooker pool f1 . anyone that watches the snooker will know that players can hear these headsets/ear peice and sometimes the referee has to ask them to turn them down.
    There was time in the dale v Davis match where Dale was complating on a shot . 3 red at bulk and one other red that looked an impossible to cut into bottom right corner. So he taking his time on what shot to play , he's about play a red along bottom cusion when next you hear is griffets saying' if he pays this shot he could leave a red
    open an i think the red to the corner is cuttable' Dale jumps up and takes on the cuttable red.
    Another example was in the trump match. He sort of snookers himself on a red blocked by blue . He takes a long hard look at it and is unsure if white ball
    will pass blue for red. Looks at it for a min .You can hear Taylor say 'lets see if hawkeye can see', 'yes it does pass' and he then takes his shot.
    Does this infringe on the rules , where no coaching is allowed?

Ps Dale will win!

First of all the person next to you would struggle to hear clearly what the commentators are saying nevermind the players who are so far away. If the players could hear them then all the audience could and they would be banned.

Also if you think professional players need to be coached about what shot to play your mad. They know every shot in the game from millions of hours of playing. They look up their options and can change their mind from time to time which is normal.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Does anybody think Marco Fu can win it this year? He is playing some nice stuff.

FU has been the most impressive player alongside Hawkins in the first round imo. FU while he is slow i love watching him break build he has lovely cue ball control. I just worry at times that he is not aggressive enough to kick on and dominate games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Selby in excellent form here ,he's not giving Carter a sniff

anyone watch Robertson? how was he playing. he won 10-2, seems convincing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dale looked fairly solid in his first round too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Anyone see John Higgins and Alan Mcmanus the other day? The ending to that match fascinated me especially the way Higgins came back. For about 3 or 4 frames it looked like the Higgins of old up until he missed the blue. Hopefully John can regroup now and come back strongly next season. One of my own favourite players

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

SarahBM wrote: »
    anyone watch Robertson? how was he playing. he won 10-2, seems convincing.

It will be a tough one for Mark Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Got a good feeling about Ken today against Alan McManus I think he'll beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Who is Ken likely to play if he gets through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

The winner of Selby and Carter I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

redbuck wrote: »
    The winner of Selby and Carter I think.

that's right , ken plays the winner of this match. hopefully ken continues his good form so far , it will be a great among arguably 2 great tacticians, i see ken winning 13-10 against angles

I forgot to set it to record.

Anybody else think the pockets look massive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Anybody else think the pockets look massive?

In a way,but the corners jut out making it a narrower route.

I really like Selby but half hoping Carter wins this,although he's made some basic errors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Have heard people talking about more receptive pockets for years but have never noticed it so blatantly as these worlds. Ronnie shaking his head when one dropped in his opening match, Steve Davis surprisingly referring to the size of the pockets in commentary, Joe Perry nearly half way back in his seat yesterday as a ball somehow dropped in off the angle. Along the top rails balls can brush the cushion six inches from the pocket and still fall in....can seem a little bit farcical at times.

And yet, without figures to hand, it would seem the number of centuries is down on previous years so go figure! Does that suggest the overall standard is even lower than we thought...one possible conclusion at least

• Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭SteM

Full schedule here is anyone is interested...

http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/SessionList/Tournament/13681

Am going over for an evening session on the 29th and then the morning session on the 30th :) Would be nice to see Doherty play if he can get past McManus.

Ken looks like he's going to take the first frame.

>KD 37 - 26 McM

Just the colours left now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Perry coming back well and looking strong.

This will be a tough test for O Sullivan if he can keep this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

fascinating opening frame in KD AM ,so many mistakes haha. u could bet on there to be a foul in frame 1 EVENS ,i counted 5

Advertisement