Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Benefit of been a Garda Reserve

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Raider190 wrote: »
    Well dont hold your breath the numbers will be high only stands to reason a Gr who have passed the tests completed a good interview and has the recommendation of his superintendent will get a letter of offer
    We will see, odds beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

I am really enjoying this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

van_beano wrote: »
    I am really enjoying this thread.

So am I!

Raider is giving the impression that anybody non reserve is wasting their time applying,

It's attitudes like this that gets peoples backs up about the reserves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

And that's what you think of superintendents that they would lie on paper and tell the truth on the phone. How many superintendents do you know ? Let's be real here what is written on paper will be the truth good or bad. So been cocky is nothing to do with it, if you are lucky enough to have received a recommendation you are a step closer to getting an offer

I know plenty of Superintendents and know well what goes on. They don't have to lie but the interviewers can read between the lines. If in doubt about some lamp they will make a quick call to clarify things.
    If you are foolish enough to believe otherwise then that is the rock you will perish on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

I agree with most of what you're saying, Santa Cruz, however I'm not going to personally insult Raider. He is entitled to believe in whatever he wants to believe. If what he believes is true then we should see a very high percentage of the new entrants coming from the GR background, at least 80%+.

In my humble opinion, I can not see this happening. If the numbers applying is to be believed then there are 20,000 people applying for 300 places. This is the opposite to what happened during the massive intakes between 2005-2009. Back then An Garda Siochana did not have as many applying to join due to better money being made elsewhere and so on. I think the standard that the applicant must be at to be offered a place in An Garda Siochana this time is going to be set extremely high. These standards would include Educational Qualifications and how these could be incorporated and benefit policing. I'd imagine that the applicants Physical condition would be another important factor, maybe an average time of 9 minutes could be required for the mile and half run.

All I can say is that anyone offered a place during this recruitment drive must have really earned it. Working the 4 hours a week within the job and getting a fantastic recommendation from your Superior Officer is not going to be enough to earn someone a place within An Garda Siochana. As I said earlier, I am in no way downgrading Raiders chances, he may even be the most competent applicant that has applied, but from reading the last few comments by him is leading me to believe that he thinks that having the GR element and the recommendation is enough, that is not going to be enough. Also, having an air of supremacy is a sure fire way of attracting the wrong attention from the Templemore Instructors. All in all, I wish everyone, including Raider, the best of luck with their applications.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I agree with you. Service with the Reserves will help but there are many other aspects of community involvement that will be a benefit a s equally

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator post:

Folks, I do NOT want to see person attacks, or people making a matter about a person. The 'Golden Rule' on this site is that you "Attack the post, not the poster" and regardless of any poster's previous posts, they are still allowed to make their point, as long as it falls within the Charter rules, and the site's Terms of Use.

Nobody on this site (bar those in authority) is permitted to refer to the fact that a user received warnings, infractions or bans. These are Moderator issues, and once these have expired, the matter is deemed to have been dealt with, and bringing up historical posts is a direct attack on a user where the matter has already been dealt with, and will result in the offending poster receiving an Infraction for ignoring this rule.

It is clear that some of you don't like others, and if you have any aspirations of becoming a Garda, then you better learn how to deal with that, and fast. You will have to work with people you don't like, and cover their backs, just as they will have to cover yours. Go with discussing the topic, state your position, and if you decide to disagree with another poster's view, then do just that, disagree with their VIEW, say why, and be respectful in your retort.

Any bickering, bitching, whining, sniping, taking cheap shots, or persistent wandering off the topic, and we'll have no choice but to close it.

Back on topic please, and just in case there are any new people out there, no on-thread discussion of Moderator posts is permitted. If you see something here that you just have to reply to, send me a PM. Thanks.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I know plenty of Superintendents and know well what goes on. They don't have to lie but the interviewers can read between the lines. If in doubt about some lamp they will make a quick call to clarify things.
    If you are foolish enough to believe otherwise then that is the rock you will perish on.

I doubt that you know any or else you would not make a statement like that. You have stated before that you have no interest in joint AGS Or the GR it that correct

I agree with you. Service with the Reserves will help but there are many other aspects of community involvement that will be a benefit a s equally

Dont disagree but specific experience is higher on the scale

van_beano wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you're saying, Santa Cruz, however I'm not going to personally insult Raider. He is entitled to believe in whatever he wants to believe. If what he believes is true then we should see a very high percentage of the new entrants coming from the GR background, at least 80%+.

In my humble opinion, I can not see this happening. If the numbers applying is to be believed then there are 20,000 people applying for 300 places. This is the opposite to what happened during the massive intakes between 2005-2009. Back then An Garda Siochana did not have as many applying to join due to better money being made elsewhere and so on. I think the standard that the applicant must be at to be offered a place in An Garda Siochana this time is going to be set extremely high. These standards would include Educational Qualifications and how these could be incorporated and benefit policing. I'd imagine that the applicants Physical condition would be another important factor, maybe an average time of 9 minutes could be required for the mile and half run.

All I can say is that anyone offered a place during this recruitment drive must have really earned it. Working the 4 hours a week within the job and getting a fantastic recommendation from your Superior Officer is not going to be enough to earn someone a place within An Garda Siochana. As I said earlier, I am in no way downgrading Raiders chances, he may even be the most competent applicant that has applied, but from reading the last few comments by him is leading me to believe that he thinks that having the GR element and the recommendation is enough, that is not going to be enough. Also, having an air of supremacy is a sure fire way of attracting the wrong attention from the Templemore Instructors. All in all, I wish everyone, including Raider, the best of luck with their applications.

Never stated the GR is a sure fire way to a full time position but like all approaches to getting a job the more related job experience you have the better your chances. So without you making assumptions about what I think here it is in a nutshell. There are two category of applicants in the process and it us assumed they have passed all tests and are at. nterview stage. Those wiith 'policing experience and who have not. ESo given all things are equal whio. gets selected. If both preform equally well at interview which is the best bet regarding the training investment and successful progression to the full time.

• Advertisement

Dont disagree but specific experience is higher on the scale

I doubt that you know any or else you would nit air a statement like that. You have stated before that you have no interest in joint AGS Or the GR it that correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

A 18 year old who never worked a day in their lives, still lives with mammy and daddy goes and aces the full-time attitude tests. At the interview comes across as a lovely, enthusiastic young person gets given a chance and gets in full-time. While a cocky reserve (a couple of them on this forum) strolls into the interview thinking he knows it all and gets rejected.
    This will probably happen on this recruitment drive, well done if you do the Reserves but it doesn't matter if u are one or not it is not an essentional requirement when applying. There are so many jobs or college degrees that could benefit a career in the Gardai.
    For the record I will have sympathy for reserves who have their heart set on the full-time and get rejected will be hard to carry on giving up your free time after especially when new trainees start getting sent to stations. Maybe Reserves with say 2 years experience could of got a by straight through to the last aptitude test or something on this recruitment drive, but they didn't well see what happens, could be a lot of unhappy reserves resigning if rejected aswel.

A 18 year old who never worked a day in their lives, still lives with mammy and daddy goes and aces the full-time attitude tests. At the interview comes across as a lovely, enthusiastic young person gets given a chance and gets in full-time. While a cocky reserve (a couple of them on this forum) strolls into the interview thinking he knows it all and gets rejected.
    This will probably happen on this recruitment drive, well done if you do the Reserves but it doesn't matter if u are one or not it is not an essentional requirement when applying. There are so many jobs or college degrees that could benefit a career in the Gardai.
    For the record I will have sympathy for reserves who have their heart set on the full-time and get rejected will be hard to carry on giving up your free time after especially when new trainees start getting sent to stations. Maybe Reserves with say 2 years experience could of got a by straight through to the last aptitude test or something on this recruitment drive, but they didn't well see what happens, could be a lot of unhappy reserves resigning if rejected aswel.

Anything is possible but the truth is reserves put the time in an d that will be recognised. Simple as that. Experience within the reserve helped with The recent tests in answering all of the questions. Have spoken to many reservesand the consensus was the same. Am sure many did well

I take it you are not in the GR, have never meet a cocky reserve but given they are in the system they have the access to individuals of all ranks who are currently coaching and mentoring them to achieve their goals. So my advise is take every opportunity to better your chances because a lot of applicants are way ahead of the game on this strategy.

Canyon86 wrote: »
    So am I!

Raider is giving the impression that anybody non reserve is wasting their time applying,

It's attitudes like this that gets peoples backs up about the reserves

Canyon the only people who gets their backs up are the ones who have not made the time to join the reserves in order to better their chances of getting the full time. If you get the GR it will be through hard work and commitment and nothing else. Let's see how you feel when you are wearing the uniform and commiting serious hours and some fool with no perception and a knowledge of the reserve gained from Google and the evening herald is branding us as busy bodies or worst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Canyon the only people who gets their backs up are the ones who have not made the time to join the reserves in order to better their chances of getting the full time. If you get the GR it will be through hard work and commitment and nothing else. Let's see how you feel when you are wearing the uniform and commiting serious hours and some fool with no perception and a knowledge of the reserve gained from Google and the evening herald is branding us as busy bodies or worst

For the record raider, I don't agree with your view re reserves experience as an advantage,
    All applicants will bring different experiences to the role eg self defence, foreign languages, financial,forensic expertise, management experience,

I myself am waiting for a call for reserves, solely to see if I enjoy the job, I am currently in a solid job,

Can't wait to see a breakdown of how many reserves get in etc, it will be interesting

Canyon86 wrote: »
    For the record raider, I don't agree with your view re reserves experience as an advantage,
    All applicants will bring different experiences to the role eg self defence, foreign languages, financial,forensic expertise, management experience,

I myself am waiting for a call for reserves, solely to see if I enjoy the job, I am currently in a solid job,

Can't wait to see a breakdown of how many reserves get in etc, it will be interesting

You are of course entitled to disagree and of course a lot of applicants do have a variety of talents and those you have stated I am sure will be included but as you are commenting from a position of not been a member you are at a disadvantage. I work with a unit of 13 men and women and this is not unusual all are graduates with degrees in teaching , IT , criminal psychology,law , accountancy etc. None have been promoted because they have these additional qualifications or skills. AGS are only interested in the raw material which they feel will make good police officers. Of course it you are a graduate you come with a recommendation of your capacity to study and complete a course of education which is really required when you are going to spend 32 weeks in Templemore.
    If you do get an offer for the GR , complete the training and graduate you may find your opinion changes when you actually get some solid policing experience under your belt. As you have stated you are trying to join the GR in order to see if you like the job and this is to be commended but you are commenting from a position of no experience. Good luck with the Reserve I hope that you receive word soon

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

Think its absolutely ridiculous for somebody to state that reserves don't have an advantage for the following reasons:

1:They have shown an interest. Who doesn't have 4 hours a week to spare?
    2. Some scenarios in the interview can come from their reserve duties.
    3. The poor money on offer will show that a Reserve has done it for free and so will stick out the bad pay.
    4. A reference from a super/skipper will do no harm either.

thestar wrote: »
    Think its absolutely ridiculous for somebody to state that reserves don't have an advantage for the following reasons:

1:They have shown an interest. Who doesn't have 4 hours a week to spare?
    2. Some scenarios in the interview can come from their reserve duties.
    3. The poor money on offer will show that a Reserve has done it for free and so will stick out the bad pay.
    4. A reference from a super/skipper will do no harm either.

Totally agree but watch for the abuse your post will now bring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 ppaddy

Calling on all garda reserves here to stand together . And lets get some answers to why we are not first in line ?or given a chance ! Thnk if we all make noise or even land up to the new minister and ask why not? No Disrespect to any one in or goin in. Well done wish you all the best,- but we need to make more noise while we can. So anyone who really wants to become a garda let's get it on .

Advertisement