Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help, looking for cold sore remedy

• 07-05-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello, I've just moved into the galay area. I have problems with cold sores in one corner of my lip, I'm starting to get one now! Any idea for a treatment, I used Abreva at home, but I'm not sure what's available here.
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where is Galay? Do they not have chemists there? ;)

It's Galway yeah? You can find treatments in the chemists/pharmacies. Try the one across from the hospital if that's close to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Zovirax cold sore cream is good. Also Asic cold sore cream. Very similar but cheaper. Both are available from any chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

used teabags

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ruahead

Well,

here are a few tips........
    Vinegar is fantastic! It has anti bacterial and viral qualities. Coldsores are viruses.
    Dab it with vinegar a few times a day.
    Also honey, I dab manuka or any honey on it to. (meant to speed up the healing process).
    Compeed patches are good, they cover it so more hygienic and you are less likely to knock off it. I wear these a lot and use vinegar and honey in between changing them. Lysine fends off coldsores.
    Lysine supplements can be taken. Lysine is found in cheese, yoghurt and chicken(other things too). I eat these foods and take tablets during the out break.
    Arginine is the opposite of lysine and are meant to feed the coldsore. Avoid chocolate, orange juice and other arginne containing foods.
    Chill out rest and eat good. !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

ruahead wrote: »
    Well,

here are a few tips........
    Vinegar is fantastic! It has anti bacterial and viral qualities. Coldsores are viruses.
    Dab it with vinegar a few times a day.
    Also honey, I dab manuka or any honey on it to. (meant to speed up the healing process).
    Compeed patches are good, they cover it so more hygienic and you are less likely to knock off it. I wear these a lot and use vinegar and honey in between changing them. Lysine fends off coldsores.
    Lysine supplements can be taken. Lysine is found in cheese, yoghurt and chicken(other things too). I eat these foods and take tablets during the out break.
    Arginine is the opposite of lysine and are meant to feed the coldsore. Avoid chocolate, orange juice and other arginne containing foods.
    Chill out rest and eat good. !!!

I know someone who uses lydine supplement also and feels its very effective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Lysine is the best for prevention. I take double during an outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Anyone recommend where to get Lysine tablets. I'm forever getting cold sores.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I suffer with coldsores since I was young. I have been taking lysine for the last year and it has halved or more the amount of outbreaks I get, I have had two outbreaks in 2013 and one was tiny and went away quickly and the other was less severe than normal too.

I get my Lysine in boots and buy the 3 for the price of two offer which comes to around €19, I take 1000mg of Lysine nightly and it has helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Ya gotta check the lips before shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

jugger0 wrote: »
    Ya gotta check the lips before shifting.

It's not necessary for the symptoms (i.e. cold sores) to be there in order to pass on the herpes virus. Once a person has the virus they have it for life and can pass it on regardless of whether symptoms are showing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

It's not necessary for the symptoms (i.e. cold sores) to be there in order to pass on the herpes virus. Once a person has the virus they have it for life and can pass it on regardless of whether symptoms are showing.

My mind is blown... is saliva enough to pass it on or does it have to enter a wound or something? gross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Yes, but the risk for infection is highest with direct contact of blisters or sores during an outbreak. Otherwise, contact skin on skin is much lower risk of transmissoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

discus wrote: »
    Yes, but the risk for infection is highest with direct contact of blisters or sores during an outbreak. Otherwise, contact skin on skin is much lower risk of transmissoin.

It can also be transmitted through saliva. But it's true that the risk is highest when during an outbreak.

Advertisement