Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fog horn sound when flushing downstairs toilet.

• 20-08-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Would any plumbers out there be able to help with a problem we've been having with the noise that occurs when we flush our downstairs toilet?
    It sounds like a boats fog horn and the whole house seems to vibrate.
    It actually sounds pretty funny but it's going on for over a year now and would like to get it sorted, preferably without the need of getting a plumber in.
    The noise occurs on the downstairs toilet only, the upstairs 2 are fine so I think it's something to do with the water pressure as the feed for the downstairs toilet is off the mains but the upstairs.
    There is a screw you can turn inside the toilets water tank, I think it controls the flow of water but I've played around with that for a good while and I cant get the noise to stop.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Check if the supply pipe is vibrating during the fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

cork_south wrote: »
    Would any plumbers out there be able to help with a problem we've been having with the noise that occurs when we flush our downstairs toilet?
    It sounds like a boats fog horn and the whole house seems to vibrate.
    It actually sounds pretty funny but it's going on for over a year now and would like to get it sorted, preferably without the need of getting a plumber in.
    The noise occurs on the downstairs toilet only, the upstairs 2 are fine so I think it's something to do with the water pressure as the feed for the downstairs toilet is off the mains but the upstairs.
    There is a screw you can turn inside the toilets water tank, I think it controls the flow of water but I've played around with that for a good while and I cant get the noise to stop.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

The problem is the diaphram ballvalve washer , its located just behind the larger nut of thr ballvalve behind the screw which you were adjusting, you need to turn the water off before doing this , and make note which way you take the washer out for when putting the new one in

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

mp22 wrote: »
    Check if the supply pipe is vibrating during the fill.

The metal pipe itself (outside the cistern) does not vibrate, the noise seems to be coming from inside the cistern.

sullzz wrote: »
    The problem is the diaphram ballvalve washer , its located just behind the larger nut of thr ballvalve behind the screw which you were adjusting, you need to turn the water off before doing this , and make note which way you take the washer out for when putting the new one in

Thx.
    I've spent the last few hours messing around with it but no improvement.
    The fog horn sound only occurs the moment I flush the toilet, it also lasts only about 1 second.
    I notice that if I push the ball cock down quickly it makes the same noise.
    It is like the water pressure for the first second of filling creates the noise and then it disappears.
    The screw I've been messing around with just adjusts how much water actually comes into the cistern.

Could you take a look at these 2 photos and tell me where my diaphram ballvalve washer is if you could please?
    http://imgur.com/MZQc3
    http://imgur.com/LoD3u

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

i come across this a bit and have done the messing around with them with no joy now i just replace them problem solved no messing about

• Advertisement

anthonyos wrote: »
    i come across this a bit and have done the messing around with them with no joy now i just replace them problem solved no messing about

Cheers,
    Sorry for being a bit on the stupid side but what should I be replacing in that picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mysticalman

I had the exact same problem recently. First time it happened my wife ran out of the bathroom screaming. I found that as soon as it happens the best thing to do is to turn on the cold tap in the bathroom beside the toilet for a second or two. It worked for me and after about a week of doing this when the fog horn occured it stopped and never came back. I think it was air in the pipes. Hope it works for you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

a bottom entry ball valve for a toilet cistern no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

cork_south wrote: »
    Thx.
    I've spent the last few hours messing around with it but no improvement.
    The fog horn sound only occurs the moment I flush the toilet, it also lasts only about 1 second.
    I notice that if I push the ball cock down quickly it makes the same noise.
    It is like the water pressure for the first second of filling creates the noise and then it disappears.
    The screw I've been messing around with just adjusts how much water actually comes into the cistern.

Could you take a look at these 2 photos and tell me where my diaphram ballvalve washer is if you could please?
    http://imgur.com/MZQc3
    http://imgur.com/LoD3u

In the first picture you need to undo the large nut , about 11/2" in diameter located below the screw you were adjusting , the washer is located in there , it looks like this
    http://m.wickes.co.uk/mt/www.wickes.co.uk/ball-valve-diaphragm-washer-pk2/invt/421629/
    Basically what happens is over time the washer goes out of shape and hard , so when you flush the toilet and its starts to refill the washer is pushing against the orifice as if trying to shut off the water , you probably noticed that the cistern is taking longer to refill , when you replace the washer you will see an improvement , this is 100% your problem i see it everyday in work , its a lot cheaper and easier to do than replacing the whole ballvalve , bottom entry ballvalves gan get awkward for a diyer.

sullzz wrote: »
    In the first picture you need to undo the large nut , about 11/2" in diameter located below the screw you were adjusting , the washer is located in there , it looks like this
    http://m.wickes.co.uk/mt/www.wickes.co.uk/ball-valve-diaphragm-washer-pk2/invt/421629/
    Basically what happens is over time the washer goes out of shape and hard , so when you flush the toilet and its starts to refill the washer is pushing against the orifice as if trying to shut off the water , you probably noticed that the cistern is taking longer to refill , when you replace the washer you will see an improvement , this is 100% your problem i see it everyday in work , its a lot cheaper and easier to do than replacing the whole ballvalve , bottom entry ballvalves gan get awkward for a diyer.

Thanks sullzz!!
    Looks like I can get it in B&Q, I'll call in tomorrow and give it a go.
    http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/washers-tap-replacements/washers/PlumbSure-Ballvalve-Diaphragm-Washers-2Pk-11478028
    I'll let you know the outcome.

1 more questions if that's OK: While investigating last night, I turned the water off under the sink.
    No more water came to the kitchen sink but there was a constant dribble of water coming from both the toilet fill pipe and the toilet sink.
    Is that normal?

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement