Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

multilayer pipe and press fittings

Options
  • 03-06-2012 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

i was thinking to start using multilayer pipe (same piping as underflor heating0 and the press fittings using a rems battery press tool.
    a plumber i know uses it and swears by it, wont use any thing else, speed, perfect joints every time, pipe is cheaper, neat looking,
    the only time he uses copper is on solid fuel.
    the tool is expensive to buy, but he said pays off its self.
    i was doing a lot of pricing of materials, fittings and pipe, at first they were very expensive, then found a place in cork which were reasonable, then found a place on 'done deal' in roscommon which were very cheap for a european certed branded product, there are big price differences out there.

i have a few house in pipe line in the next 2 years,
    so need to buy soon if i go with it
    any one else using it? recommened it, ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am not a plumber so i would not be using it. I know of 2 companies that used it and done it wrong and the insurence fix was quite expensive.

Other than that,..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jj58

i wonder how they did it wrong, i heard of cases in the south, where they used a wrong press tool thongs and leaked afterwords some chinesses stuff, i think theres a ten year warrenty on this system in roscommon, ??? with 50 year life span,
    i hear of people who's house s got flooded with push on fittings,
    and copper solder leaks where the run of pipe to long, when it heats up, it expands and cracks solder joint under the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I've recently used Ecopipe's stuff (pre-insulated) on a new build in Skerries and I am sold on it. I didn't use press fit option but went for the insert and compression conections. Like wise a friend used it and swore by it. The pipe is cheaper but the fittings are more expensive so it works out similar in costs. The fittings are hand tightened and then one full revolution with a spanner. I laughed at the man when he said that but it held a 4 bar test for 48hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I have a complete rems tool that I used for one contract, its the Makita 12v unit by Rothenberg- full hydraulic crimping and has all the spare heads in the various sizes, it also includes the hand crimping tongs and heads. Cost me an absolute bomb but I would sell it cheaply if you are interested(we moved to different work). The pressure that a system installed with this method will hold is unreal! I have a load of the fittings here still too! It is a very quick and reliable way of connecting pipes, once you crimp on a fitting, there is no way in hell it's ever coming off again, the pipe would have to fail for a leak to develope as the crimped fitting will simply NEVER come off- its totally locked on. I used it on a commercial contract for a pharma company that would not accept any other connection method.

ya the plumber i know said he made 1000 s of joints never a leak, piece of mind with the appentices around
    what type of press have u, radial or axial, what type of profile thongs have you, whos system did u use, the tool is expensive enough the thongs retail for €100+ vat each,

i am meeting the man in roscommon in the morning for a demo, he giving me a good deal on a rems mini press with the 4 thongs to suit his fittings . , so tomorrow is makey upy time

• Advertisement

hi all
    got sorted with my new setup, press fittings and pipe, used it in a new house already and i have to say i am more than happy with it, a lot faster than copper, a lot cleaner, price wise its working out a bit cheaper than copper, so far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ubend00

hi do you still have the pipe crimper set to sell i would def be interested,

hi, so just an update on the pipe and press fittings,
    i m using it near 3 months now . i have used it in 2 new house and an extension and use the smaller pipe for repairs and bits n pieces, i have worked out costs in comparason to copper, small bunglow house saved €250 +
    big 2 story house €450 and labour wise it was much quicker too,, piping to rads it alot quicker and the hotpress work is quicker, obviously copper for the solid fuel stove, makes ya realise how slow and dirty it is,
    and my clients seem to be impressed by it, and no leaks so far, not even a droplet on a nut and ring,
    so happy with the system, and the cost of the press tool has paid off already.
    it seems to me that plumbers are blind it even exists, telling another plumber about it, (so there just push on fittings )he said
    after me explaining to him, anyways all the better for me

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

I can see the advantages of it but from a practical point adding another system of pipe and fittings to an already fully loaded van isn't for me.
    My brain is already fried from lead pipe, lead fittings, copper, pex, imperial, metric, heavy gauge, light gauge, wavin, marley, compression, tectite, solder, G.B, Philmac arrrrrrgggghhhh......adding another 1 into the mix :eek:

Maybe it is the way forward? Can the fittings be used on any multilayer pipe or are they exclusive to each system? I presume there's fitting to go from imperial copper/pex to multilayer? How much was the press tool?
    Ah so many questions :)

all i have in van are a few compression fittings of each type, and 1" solder for the solid fuel, and of coarse my press fittings
    90% of all european made press fittings and pipe are compatable, the chinnese stuff is not cause one sizes is differnt and a differnt profile on the press thongs, i would nt touch the chinnese stuff,
    but ya all pipe is the same, u can use this brand on a differnt brands pipe,
    i got my tool with 4 thongs and 2 batteries for 900+vat
    there are fittings to go to compression fitting yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Just to add...
    Have been using the Multilayer for about a year now and its taking over as the main item of use in the vans.
    As has been said above, lock it and leave it, job done.
    Have done a few re-plumbs with it and its a joy to work with. Even buying by the roll, you stretch it out and it stays straight, and you can get nice smooth bends that stay in shape as well.
    If you use it correctly you have no problems.
    I will always love working with copper and never really liked pex pipe, especially where its visable, but I have to say this multilayer is good.
    However being a bit old fashioned I will still insist on the HP being done in copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Just to add...
    Have been using the Multilayer for about a year now and its taking over as the main item of use in the vans.
    As has been said above, lock it and leave it, job done.
    Have done a few re-plumbs with it and its a joy to work with. Even buying by the roll, you stretch it out and it stays straight, and you can get nice smooth bends that stay in shape as well.
    If you use it correctly you have no problems.
    I will always love working with copper and never really liked pex pipe, especially where its visable, but I have to say this multilayer is good.
    However being a bit old fashioned I will still insist on the HP being done in copper.

Advertisement