Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week in the Local Papers

• 31-03-2011 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Saw this on the Waterford City Forum and thought it was a great idea.

Post some news from the local papers every week to keep people abroad up to date with what's going on in Wexford.

(Maybe could be stickied?)

My story this week: The proposed leisure centre to be built in New Ross got planning permission approved by the town council. This was on the front of the NR Standard, link here

Development to include:
    • Swimming pool/Gym
    • Bar/Restaurant
    • 3 Screen Cinema
    • 12 Lane Bowling Alley
    • Amusement Arcade
    • Retail Units
    • 300-400 Parking Spaces
    Situated around the Boat Club accross the bridge in Rosbercon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Great idea Ledger,as much as we complain about the Local Liars,we all read them and it's a source for many of the discussions here.

Hope that development goes ahead in New Ross,there's not much else in the town for entertainment,ye getting a new cinema and ours closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

zerks wrote: »
    Great idea Ledger,as much as we complain about the Local Liars,we all read them and it's a source for many of the discussions here.

Hope that development goes ahead in New Ross,there's not much else in the town for entertainment,ye getting a new cinema and ours closed down.

Where abouts is that zerks?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Slaney plaza Enniscorthy it closed a few weeks ago

scaller wrote: »

oh I didn't hear that at all!

Ledger wrote: »
    oh I didn't hear that at all!

Do you not read the local papers?;):D:D:D

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Do you not read the local papers?;):D:D:D

haha it wasn't in MY local paper! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

scaller wrote: »

There is no future for cinema in NR .

I think St Michaels Theatre are showing new releases , but turnout is poor

There is no future for cinema in NR .

I think St Michaels Theatre are showing new releases , but turnout is poor

they are, I never go there myself because they have one film each week, and they're either shíte or have been in waterford or wexford weeks before

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

Saw this on the Waterford City Forum and thought it was a great idea.

Post some news from the local papers every week to keep people abroad up to date with what's going on in Wexford.

(Maybe could be stickied?)

My story this week: The proposed leisure centre to be built in New Ross got planning permission approved by the town council. This was on the front of the NR Standard, link here

Great idea.............but don't you have to pay a subscription to view The Standard, People, etc.

patff wrote: »
    Great idea.............but don't you have to pay a subscription to view The Standard, People, etc.

yeah, i read the physical paper like, i just linked the home page cuz there's a pic on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

All cinemas are in the same boat, population, and towns aside, broadband brings films to you. all cinemas will be a thing of the past i reckon at some stage.

even if you have an xbox with broadband you can stream from online stores.

the location of the new cinema in wexford town is a joke. did they not think about things before they went ahead of this ? there was many many people that used to walk to the older one by redmond square. now they expect everyone to drive out to drinagh, and as far as i know they dont even have enough car parking spaces out there if there was to be a full house(as if).

derrycat wrote: »
    A lot of negitive comments on here about Ross at the moment, All towns this size are struggling & i think what the theatre is doing in providing films(old or not) should be applauded.

I agree it's great what they're doing, and i'm sure some people do go a lot, but it wouldn't be my thing is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

the location of the new cinema in wexford town is a joke. did they not think about things before they went ahead of this ? there was many many people that used to walk to the older one by redmond square. now they expect everyone to drive out to drinagh, and as far as i know they dont even have enough car parking spaces out there if there was to be a full house(as if).

The people that own the cinema in Wexford had plans to gut and do up the cinema by redmond square but decided in a moment of celtic tiger stupidity to build a new cinema out in the middle of Drinagh, the late shows which used to be solded out in town were dropped after a few months because there was no one going to them the have lost the casual trade that used to just walk in during the day and are doing very little business outside the weekend and summer months and your corrected the car parking spaces isn't enough when it first opened cars were parked on the side of the road in neighbouring car parks.

The big question is ' will Obama accept the invitation to come to NR '

If he does , the next question is , how are we going to pay for it and who is going to pay for it .

Afterwards , we need to erect signposts under the ones directing people to the scene of German bombing WW1 .

something like this :
    'Visit the place where Obama shook hands with Kennedy '
    DSC03469.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

lets hope they dont make a bronze casting of obama, although it does make for sensible recycling of euro currency.

anyone else see that they changed the signposts to Campile from:

"Scene of 1940 German Bombing"

to:

"Scene of 1940 WWII Bombing"

because they didn't want to "offend German Tourists", so, what, we pretend they didn't do it? It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

to:

because they didn't want to "offend German Tourists", so, what, we pretend they didn't do it? It's ridiculous.

ridiculous indeed.

what kind of people visit bombsites?.........I doubt they would be politically correct at any rate.

Yes - they have been changed , and they did offend German Tourists .

Racially explicit, I believe -

The word 'German ' had to be removed

Yes - they have been changed , and they did offend German Tourists .

Racially explicit, I believe -

The word 'German ' had to be removed

German tourist- "Is this where ze bombing was ja?"

Local- "Sure is boss"

German tourist- "Who did ze bombing?"

Local- "Sure wasn't it your lot,enjoy your stay"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

to:

It wasn't just German tourists, there's a German family living in the area that weren't too happy about it. I don't get the objections, it's a fact that it was a German bombing, not racist at all :confused:

• Advertisement

Aoifey! wrote: »
    It wasn't just German tourists, there's a German family living in the area that weren't too happy about it. I don't get the objections, it's a fact that it was a German bombing, not racist at all :confused:

Johan Hoff probably. Ah sure I suppose we shouldn't offend our European Neighbours,:rolleyes: PC is going a bit mad lately, we should probably re-name the irishtown then aswell?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Johan Hoff probably. Ah sure I suppose we shouldn't offend our European Neighbours,:rolleyes: PC is going a bit mad lately, we should probably re-name the irishtown then aswell?:rolleyes:
    Ah yeah, we can all pop up to the good oul 'multi-culture town' :p

Aoifey! wrote: »
    Ah yeah, we can all pop up to the good oul 'multi-culture town' :p

What about the bullets that get offended by the Three Bullet Gate? Perhaps we re-name it: non-specific ammount assault ammunition gate? Its a bit of a mouthful though i guess....:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

derrycat wrote: »
    A lot of negitive comments on here about Ross at the moment, All towns this size are struggling.

Slightly OT but this is a link to an article about Youghal in Cork http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0402/1224293621909.html?via=mr - lots of parallels with a lot of towns I'm familiar with, not least New Ross, Wexford, Enniscorthy, Waterford, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Is there an upturn on the way .......................... we have 3 new shops opening in New Ross this week :
    1. Hairdressers on Quay St
    2. Fitness Essentials on Lower Mary st.
    3. Redhead on South Street ( corner with Mary St )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Is there an upturn on the way .......................... we have 3 new shops opening in New Ross this week :

Just the type of shops that won't last IMO. I take it that Redhead is also a hairdressers? The shops are starting to close up again in Enniscorthy after a surge of misplaced optimism before Christmas.

Just the type of shops that won't last IMO. I take it that Redhead is also a hairdressers? The shops are starting to close up again in Enniscorthy after a surge of misplaced optimism before Christmas.

I fear some of the shops on Rafter Street could close,the amount of footfall had dropped since Dunnes closed there but now with all the civil works going on it has slowed to a trickle,stores cannot afford the extra drop in income,it's been hard enough and this may be the straw that breaks the camels back.The sports shop has already closed.(Although 2 on the one street was daft)
    As much as you(JD) hates Euro shops,it seems to be the only one drawing customers to the street,Mothers Day drew the customers at the weekend in a rush to buy cards,other than that there would have been very little shoppers on the street.

1. Can't see that hairdressers lasting. There are so many in the town alrealy with their own loyal customers, I know I always go to Mary in Harry Dooley's and wouldn't let anyone else cut my hair.

2. Fitness Essentials? I'm not sure about that one, it's a bit of a niche market and the town may be too small for them.

3. I saw that redhead place but haven't a clue what it is they do?

Having said all that, i hope they do well and wish them the best of luck. I just don't think the business is there for them.
    The town needs a major anchor shop badly, when the traders, in trying to keep their own customers, objected to Dunnes Stores opening a shop, they sent everyone to wexford and waterford to shop. We desperately need someone big like this in the town centre, tesco has had the opposite effect by opening on the outskirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Actually I'm a regular user of the the two Euro shops - it's Kavanagh's Total Rubbish outlets that I don't like. The pedestrianisation of Rafter Street is a bad joke - mark my words. Anyway, it's a good day when the front page of the Guardian reports that John Browne was shafted - couldn't have happened to a better man.

mySuperLamePic_d5048dff381e506f9f28a1d47525e476.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Opposite Paddy Powers? Is that replacing a barbers that I thought opened there recently? Jeez that one didn't last long if that's the case !

Advertisement